2016 Prediction Thread

Um, incorrect complaints about "grammar" aren't exactly the same as complaints about a show name with obvious drug-related double entendre. It isn't "cute" or "clever" or "funny" - it's just stupid and inappropriate.

Grammar is NOT a moral equivalent. There's a reason it was changed, and it won't be changing back.

JMO

Disagree. If they were doing their 2006 show snd titled it Stoned, I would agree. This is a pun on statues morphing in and out of life throughout the show. Nothing implied about drugs. Getting "stoned" in the bible should be changed? It's context and sorry if "stoned" leads you to immediately think of drugs. 🤔🤔
  • Like 1

Disagree. If they were doing their 2006 show snd titled it Stoned, I would agree. This is a pun on statues morphing in and out of life throughout the show. Nothing implied about drugs. Getting "stoned" in the bible should be changed? It's context and sorry if "stoned" leads you to immediately think of drugs.

Ask any unbiased group of a 1,000 people, what they think of of when they here the term " stoned ".

Are most of the 1,000 people thinking of " stoned " in the Bible ? or " stoned " by religious fanatics today in some parts of the world ? Or " stoned " statues somewhere ? No. I think we all know that approx 99% of the 1,000 people asked what they immediately think of is, would absolutely be " drug usage ". The Cadets are entitled to call their show theme on stone statues whatever they choose. But lets get real here... GH knows what the term " stoned " typically refers too in today's world. He's a bright and a pretty hip and aware guy, right ? So even if his Corps show this summer is about " morphing stone statues ", he knows there is a million other terms out there at his disposal to call his show theme another term. He selected the term " stoned " however, precisely because he sees it as a double entendre. The fact that most people raise their eyebrows, or chuckle at the teem he selected ( or others upset ) is also the reaction he fully anticipated too when he selected it in the first place. He knew what the reaction would be, and what the conventional meaning, universally understood by most everyone, ( including parents, grandparents, grandkids, etc ) of the term " stoned " is. So thats that, and nobody is kidding anybody with an attempt to spin it differently on the term's understood meaning. ( lol!)

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

The sniping ov'r the grammar is as fartuous as bethinking Shakespeare is the standard f'r current English. T eke ign're yond the quote a clause and not a completeth sentence, since we art being all picky about gramm'r.

Or we could go further back into English. The opening lines of one famous poem sort of fit the purported meaning of "Stoned":

Wrætlic is þes wealstan, wyrde gebræcon;

burgstede burston, brosnað enta geweorc.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Or we could go further back into English. The opening lines of one famous poem sort of fit the purported meaning of "Stoned":

Wrætlic is þes wealstan, wyrde gebræcon;

burgstede burston, brosnað enta geweorc.

Now my eyes hurt!

All cultured persons surely think of this:

That's what I thought of first when I heard the Stoned title.

All cultured persons surely think of this:

See! Corpsband said nothing of drugs!

Disagree. If they were doing their 2006 show snd titled it Stoned, I would agree. This is a pun on statues morphing in and out of life throughout the show. Nothing implied about drugs. Getting "stoned" in the bible should be changed? It's context and sorry if "stoned" leads you to immediately think of drugs.

nothing about the show is about being "stoned to death" that I'm aware of. And the historical application of the word stoned doesn't mean statues coming to life, or turning into statues. It means being killed by be pummeled by stones, usually by a mob

in a modern sense "stoned" has only one meaning... and it isn't a positive one, especially for a youth organization