2016 Prediction Thread

Is it getting hot in here, or is it me ? ( lol!)

It's like watching the team that made the playoffs for the first time in years and the fans say superbowl the next year. As a Lions fan I can say you can be very disappointed

OMG ... I am from Detroit, and totally relate. Hear about the guy who left two tickets to a Lions game on the dashboard of his car? Someone smashed the windshield and left two more tickets on it.

• Like 4

I have it as:

The gap between SCV and BK closes, but because SCV goes the wrong way. And a gap between them and the top 4 open up.

Other corps might move back up and contend with them, but it's not because they slide back.

Surprised so many predictions have SCV dropping to 6th or 7th. Championship winning percussion, championship winning music team and now a championship winning brass staff, but still getting passed up? Seems like folks are putting a lot of stock in a show title, which seems quite silly given their string of top 5 finishes. I think they could be a dark horse no one is talking about. My guess is either way, this may be the best top 12 we have ever seen! Edited by trumpetcam
  • Like 2

Honestly, besides 2012 and 2014, Vanguard shows have just seemed a little bit "white bread" to me for a while. Honestly don't have anything to back that up, but it's just a vibe I get. I don't want to say they're boring, and I'm not saying their show won't be amazing! But they just don't have the hype surrounding them that a lot of other corps do.

• Like 2

Surprised so many predictions have SCV dropping to 6th or 7th. Championship winning percussion, championship winning music team and now a championship winning brass staff, but still getting passed up? Seems like folks are putting a lot of stock in a show title, which seems quite silly given their string of top 5 finishes. I think they could be a dark horse no one is talking about. My guess is either way, this may be the best top 12 we have ever seen!

They just lost their director and another caption head if I'm remembering correctly. Any sort of staff turnover justifies a fall, in my opinion.

Right, but not sure I agree with your logic. Cadets, new drill designer and visual caption head. Phantom, new arranger and visual caption head. Cavies, new design team, new arranger, new visual., etc. So, they are all dropping too, correct? Didn't Blue Knights start their ascent when Mike Jackson and Kevin Shah joined? Same with Bluecoats designers and staff? That seems like a weak argument. Who knows, but staff changes are not always for the worse.

Edited by trumpetcam

Right, but not sure I agree with your logic. Cadets, new drill designer and visual caption head. Phantom, new arranger and visual caption head. Cavies, new design team, new arranger, new visual., etc. So, they are all dropping too, correct?

Hmm what I should have said is this: with staff turnover, you get unpredictability. There is just as much potential of hitting a home run as there is off crashing and burning. Cadets are a sexy pick right now because they're putting out a lot of content and they sound good. SCV and PR, by contrast, are being predicted lower because they aren't being perceived as sure things. Not to mention both have very bland show themes.

• Like 1

I can buy that, although we've learned that just because you're the first to spin your program doesn't mean anything come August. Cadets are great at self promotion, I'll give them that. And they always come out strong in performance early season. Would be nice to see some more movement this season in top 5.

SCV will be in top 5. Their GE the last few years were very good but not quite as good as the top three, but the actual weak part of the corps is the horn line. This year they got Chip as their caption head, I think he will make that horn line sing. Chip was the caption head for Phantom Regiment 2008 when they won DCI and I believe high brass. He is a PR and BD alumni.

As for the champion prediction, it will probably be BD again, they are due for a three-peat.

The show design from BD is just light years ahead of everyone else. It's almost like a cirque Soile show. Ever time you watch it, you find something new and cool!

Cadets will not probably not go anywhere for playing music from Star of Indiana 1991. It is very hard to win DCI playing the same music that was already done by a previous champ.

Blue Coats... They are kind of an anomaly. Hopefully they can do something. Perhaps they'll be the surprise winner this year.

Crown.. No dice, their drum line still suffers....