2016 Prediction Thread

SCV will be in top 5. Their GE the last few years were very good but not quite as good as the top three, but the actual weak part of the corps is the horn line. This year they got Chip as their caption head, I think he will make that horn line sing. Chip was the caption head for Phantom Regiment 2008 when they won DCI and I believe high brass. He is a PR and BD alumni.

As for the champion prediction, it will probably be BD again, they are due for a three-peat.

The show design from BD is just light years ahead of everyone else. It's almost like a cirque Soile show. Ever time you watch it, you find something new and cool!

Cadets will not probably not go anywhere for playing music from Star of Indiana 1991. It is very hard to win DCI playing the same music that was already done by a previous champ.

Blue Coats... They are kind of an anomaly. Hopefully they can do something. Perhaps they'll be the surprise winner this year.

Crown.. No dice, their drum line still suffers....

Your profile has you admitting that you are a BD homer, so your comments will be taken with that bias.

However, all these corps have played PoR, many doing quite well. Why limit your perspective to Star who only mimicked the Muchachos (where Prime and DVD marched) and Cavaliers.

1975 Muchachos Pines of Rome Respighi, Ottorino 1976 Muchachos Pines of Rome Respighi, Ottorino 1982 The Cavaliers Pines of Rome Respighi, Ottorino 1983 The Cavaliers Pines of Rome Respighi, Ottorino 1984 The Cavaliers Pines of Rome Respighi, Ottorino 1991 Star of Indiana Pines of Rome (First Mov.) Respighi, Ottorino 1995 Spartans Pines of the Appian Way (from Pines of Rome) Respighi, Ottorino 1998 Phantom Regiment Pines of the Appian Way (from Pines of Rome) Respighi, Ottorino 1998 Phantom Regiment Pines of the Villa Borghese (from Pines of Rome) Respighi, Ottorino 2001 US Naval Academy Pines of the Appian Way (from Pines of Rome) Respighi, Ottorino 2010 Legends Pines of Rome Respighi, Ottorino 2012 Boston Crusaders

Its not the theme choice.... its not the music selections list played ( whether its played first or 15 times before )... its not the quality of the drumline ( good or bad )....... its the Show Design/ Visual/ Guard that primarily drives the placements. I saw some of the Cadets Visuals/ Guard and THATS why I predict they won't medal without a rewrite of much of it. Hey, i could be dead wrong too on this, of course. But preseason predictions are generally sight unseen, & hearing unheard things here, right ? And what a Corps had for a show design, music, drumline, brassline last season, or the season before, or in 1991 or whatever, is also irrelevent to this seaaon, right ? So until we know how the Guard strength is for this season with all these Corps, and how the Guards ( and the other Corps sections ) are incorporated into the all important Visual Design these Corps will have for 2016, nobody knows nuttin ', imo (.... haha)

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Fun as always. Reliable as always.

Yes, I simply copied an earlier post, added my own comments. My order is extremely similar. Thanks derbydawg for setting me

up with this.

1st: BD Thanks to a small child, they showed they can be at least a little emotional. They will need that

component to win this year. Judges may start calling them out where deserved.
2nd: Bluecoats Don't place this high until finals. Wow.
3rd: Crown Amazing, Still learning how to win come finals week.
4th: Cadets As good as last year. Need to become the innovators again.
5th: Blue Knights Judges actually put them where they belong. So refreshing and creative.
6th: Santa Clara Vanguard Very good. Not all captions firing. Behind on innovation.
7th: Madison This good all summer. Corps only gets better going into finals week. A few SCV scares.
8th: Boston Clips online look and sound great. Digging the show theme.
9th: Cavies Still don't have enough key people in place. Show theme has me worried. Seems bando, again.
10th: Phantom Just not willing to make needed changes. Usual talent didn't show up this year.
11th: Blue Stars Scare PR several times. Good staff changes. Mark Ford is really smart!
12th: Academy Have found their niche. Really entertaining and with quality.
13th: Troppers Again, so close. Great corps.
14th: Crossmen Really not a fan of last year's show. Really flat and not memorable. Original music is usually a yawn. Too bando.
15th: OC Show really caught fire last finals week. Improved talent all around.
16th: Mandarins Interesting show with more talent, especially perc and guard.
17th: Crest Better than 2015, but so are many above them.
18th: Colts Take a few hits from past staff issues
19th: Casades Picking up where last year left off.

20th: Genesis Fastest improving corps.

21st: Vanguard Cadets Better than last year.
22nd: BDB Good. Too much smoke and mirrors catches up to them (may happen to mother corps as well)
23nd: SOA While they may be making smart money decisions, design and teaching continue to really suffer because this is

where the old alumni have little to no modern day knowledge, as shown the past few years. .
24th: Spartans Great retention, clever show, well designed.
25th: Legends Their best year yet.

Edited by cadetzoid

Bedore Cadets are doomed for playing Respighi, and daring to tread on territory some claim to be sacred bevause of what Star did in 1991, there are a few things to keep in mind. One, no kid on the field was even born in 1991. The arrangement was for g-bugles. Visually Star's show was stunning, and yes the music packed a punch, but not everyone at the time thought it was the greatest brass arrangement. Star may be the most mythic corps of all time, but if they continued, there is no way of saying they would always be the best, and as someone who remembers Star, I think it is fair to say that the more Star became a memory, the greater the corps became, and more than a few of us who post on DCP are in the sore losers camp. At the time of Star's departure from competition, many of us saw it as sour grapes for not winning in 1993, and if you were in Foxboro on that murky finals night in 1994, you know the heated discussions on the stands that evening. Also, classical music us all about interpretation and composer's intentions, and I for one welcome other interpretations.

Good perspective. In reality I believe it was the "slight" that Star of Indiana took in 1992 that caused their departure. It just took a year to work out the details with Canadian Brass and concert promoters, plus music arrangements. There is a documentary video on YouTube that covers Star. That video describes how upset Bill Cook was when Star won quarterfinals, then fell to 2nd in semis, and fell to 3rd in finals. This was a corps that won most every show they were in. Whether 3rd place was deserved or not (and I think not), I believe 1992 was the end. They competed in 1993, but they already knew what their plans were for the next year.

You are right however about public perception. Star is kind of like a fine wine. They have aged well. Most fans are able to look back now and in a more objective voice say "wow, that was one heck of a drum corps." From 1990 to 1993 I'm not sure anyone was really as good as they were. Those shows hold up against today's corps, easily.

But back in the day there was jealousy, there was misunderstanding, and people felt they were often given a gift, perhaps due to political power or something, especially when they would beat long-time fan favs like the Cavaliers, Phantom Regiment, Madison Scouts, etc. People often couldn't judge them objectively, and once they left, what little objectivity existed was thrown out the window. In the end, I think they made up for it with Brass Theater, Blast, and the other stuff.

----------------

No back to the regular argument about literature. Cadets playing Pines of Rome is cool. No one corps owns the rights to certain music unless it was composed for them. I can't wait to hear the Cadets interpretation. What I have heard already is pretty awesome. Oh, by the way, for anyone that has not yet heard the Cadets playing Lincolnshire Posey (a short clip from the other day) with french horns and trombones...well, you need to find that clip. Amazing! That is some sound and that brass line will again be a force to reckon with.

[quote name="cadetzoid"

up with this.

1st: BD Thanks to a small child, they showed they can be at least a little emotional. They will need that

component to win this year. Judges may start calling them out where deserved.

2nd: Bluecoats Don't place this high until finals. Wow.

3rd: Crown Amazing, Still learning how to win come finals week.

4th: Cadets As good as last year. Need to become the innovators again.

5th: Blue Knights Judges actually put them where they belong. So refreshing and creative.

6th: Santa Clara Vanguard Very good. Not all captions firing. Behind on innovation.

7th: Madison This good all summer. Corps only gets better going into finals week. A few SCV scares.

8th: Boston Clips online look and sound great. Digging the show theme.

9th: Cavies Still don't have enough key people in place. Show theme has me worried. Seems bando, again.

10th: Phantom Just not willing to make needed changes. Usual talent didn't show up this year.

11th: Blue Stars Scare PR several times. Good staff changes. Mark Ford is really smart!

12th: Academy Have found their niche. Really entertaining and with quality.

13th: Troppers Again, so close. Great corps.

14th: Crossmen Really not a fan of last year's show. Really flat and not memorable. Original music is usually a yawn. Too bando.

15th: OC Show really caught fire last finals week. Improved talent all around.

16th: Mandarins Interesting show with more talent, especially perc and guard.

17th: Crest Better than 2015, but so are many above them.

18th: Colts Take a few hits from past staff issues

19th: Casades Picking up where last year left off.

20th: Genesis Fastest improving corps.

21st: Vanguard Cadets Better than last year.

22nd: BDB Good. Too much smoke and mirrors catches up to them (may happen to mother corps as well)

23nd: SOA While they may be making smart money decisions, design and teaching continue to really suffer because this is

where the old alumni have little to no modern day knowledge, as shown the past few years. .

24th: Spartans Great retention, clever show, well designed.

25th: Legends Their best year yet.

14 = too bando?

This coming from an alum who's corps has trombones.

DCP IS A JOKE

Oh, by the way, for anyone that has not yet heard the Cadets playing Lincolnshire Posey (a short clip from the other day) with french horns and trombones...well, you need to find that clip. Amazing! That is some sound and that brass line will again be a force to reckon with.

I'll oblige with the link.

14 = too bando?

This coming from an alum who's corps has trombones.

DCP IS A JOKE

You seem to get offended very easily. Would you like a safe space?

Simply stunning. Heard this live the other day. Hard not to get emotional it is such a powerful arrangement and beautiful performance.[/quote

That's some brass line...

You seem to get offended very easily. Would you like a safe space?

You're right. It pisses me off.