2016 Prediction Thread

My predictions & explanations

1: Bluecoats: been pushing the bar since T/LT and going higher since. Will have a very interesting soundscape with their program

2: Blue Devils: Not entirely sure what their show will be like, except really really clean. They just seems to get 22nd every 2 years and it's time again.

3: Crown: brass will be killer as always but I don't know if they'll be enough to top the other two

4: Blue Knights: They've been building strength these past few years and I think there is no going down this year.

5: Cadets: They always have a certain amount of cheesiness in their shows imo and I feel like they will stay pretty stagnant for it (with Denver bumping them down a spot)

6: SCV: basically same reasoning as above without the cheesiness (although their drums no doubt will be killer

7: Scouts: The whole Judas/Jesus theme of the production will help them move up from last year. Their drum book sounds sweet (check out Vic Firths pre season vid.)

8: Cavaliers: it seems like they are starting to bring back they old 2000's vibe with this theme. Maybe they'll go higher next year.

9: BAC: Staying pretty constant, although trying to push the enevelope a little.

10: Phantom: I feel bad putting them here but the direction they and everyone else is going leaves no other option. I'm sorry.

11: Crossmen: haven't heard much but the show theme looks pretty cool

12: Not the Blue stars or Crossmen: its not that I hate the Blue stars: one of my baritone friends from high school marched with them and they were spectacular. And I don't hate the Crossmen either; I just think that another corps is going to rise, its between Troopers, Colts, Academy, and Oregon.

In a perfect world Bloo and Madison would tie for first this year, but these are my realistic predictions.

1: Bluecoats: been pushing the bar since T/LT and going higher since. Will have a very interesting soundscape with their program

2: Blue Devils: Not entirely sure what their show will be like, except really really clean. They just seems to get 22nd every 2 years and it's time again.

3: Crown: brass will be killer as always but I don't know if they'll be enough to top the other two

4: Blue Knights: They've been building strength these past few years and I think there is no going down this year.

5: Cadets: They always have a certain amount of cheesiness in their shows imo and I feel like they will stay pretty stagnant for it (with Denver bumping them down a spot)

6: SCV: basically same reasoning as above without the cheesiness (although their drums no doubt will be killer

7: Scouts: The whole Judas/Jesus theme of the production will help them move up from last year. Their drum book sounds sweet (check out Vic Firths pre season vid.)

8: Cavaliers: it seems like they are starting to bring back they old 2000's vibe with this theme. Maybe they'll go higher next year.

9: BAC: Staying pretty constant, although trying to push the enevelope a little.

10: Phantom: I feel bad putting them here but the direction they and everyone else is going leaves no other option. I'm sorry.

12: Not the Blue stars or Crossmen: its not that I hate the Blue stars: one of my baritone friends from high school marched with them and they were spectacular. And I don't hate the Crossmen either; I just think that another corps is going to rise, its between Troopers, Colts, Academy, and Oregon.

In a perfect world Bloo and Madison would tie for first this year, but these are my realistic predictions.

1) Bluecoats dropped from tilt to kinetic noise so can't say going higher since.

2) you predict crossmen in 11th bUT then say not crossmen or blue stars which confuses me.

1) Bluecoats dropped from tilt to kinetic noise so can't say going higher since.

2) you predict crossmen in 11th bUT then say not crossmen or blue stars which confuses me.

2nd one was my bad, forget to edit out Crossmen from the last one.

1st one was not a mistake. Sure, the the Bluecoats dropped in placement, but last year They received their highest score ever with Kinetic Noise

Edited by MattPat42

2nd one was my bad, forget to edit out Crossmen from the last one.

1st one was not a mistakes. Sure, the the Bluecoats dropped in placement, but last year They received their highest score ever with Kinetic Noise

Tilt was a higher score.

But. I'd argue they were higher in 2015 in that they were way closer to 1st score wise, and were 1st in a few subcaptions/field percussion.

Edited by DrumManTx

Tilt was a higher score.

But. I'd argue they were higher in 2015 in that they were way closer to 1st score wise, and were 1st in a few subcaptions/field percussion.

You're right, my bad. Either way, my original prediction still stands. Edited by MattPat42

Post completely lost legitimacy when he implied that Cadets can't win because they're playing similar source music to Star 1991. Has literally nothing to do with the ability of the show to score well. SCV has more weaknesses than the brass line or else they would have been scoring better the past couple of years. Weak designs, IMO will continue to hold them back. The fact that he had nothing to say about crown except "no dice" is ridiculous. Strong show concept and they look fantastic from videos I've seen.

Ok. I've happened to LOVE the last few years of SCV show design. Very creative and wonderful drill. Maybe not as much like Blue Devils, but everyone shouldn't HAVE to be like BD to score well, but that seems to be coming to pass.

Brass is a tad down, but everything else was great, imho. Obviously with all the caption bleed, a weaker caption can drag down other captions like GE. So that's a difference in opinion and that's obviously good to have because it makes discussion more interesting.

I wholeheartedly agree with YOU about the Cadets and Vance's comment that they can't win because they're playing what Star 1991 did; they're actually playing what The Cavaliers, Phantom, and Boston have done decently well with in the past ( '82 - '84, and '98, 2012) with Pines of Rome. Star did play the Villa Borghese and other stuff, but it's pretty different. ...and that's just what the Cadets do from time to time; they bring back a classic piece, and add in some new pieces for a show. Sometimes it works really well, and other times it's 4th place. They're certainly in the running this year.

Besides, Crown is playing Medea, which is Star 1993 stuff, and they're certainly rocking it hard and adding some chordal complexity to the '93 Jim Prime arrangement. Crown is smoking hot, and certainly have a more coherent design than what I saw from the 8 minutes of BDs show from memorial day, which I was rather surprised by... BD has the prettiest trombones that I've seen so far, but the Bieber stuff right now sounds a little too similar to the K-Pop section to me ( groove-wise and place in the show). That's not the most innovative thing. BD does sound good though.

...and then there's Bluecoats, who are sounding really good compared to what I've heard from others.

It's gonna be an interesting year, I can say that for sure. I just hope we can get past the fanboyisms and talk about the actual shows for what they are and not worry about who played what before. That's not going to cut it with the designs I've been hearing so far this year. Peace! :shaun:

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

Ok. I've happened to LOVE the last few years of SCV show design. Very creative and wonderful drill. Maybe not as much like Blue Devils, but everyone shouldn't HAVE to be like BD to score well, but that seems to be coming to pass.

Brass is a tad down, but everything else was great, imho. Obviously with all the caption bleed, a weaker caption can drag down other captions like GE. So that's a difference in opinion and that's obviously good to have because it makes discussion more interesting.

I wholeheartedly agree with YOU about the Cadets and Vance's comment that they can't win because they're playing what Star 1991 did; they're actually playing what The Cavaliers, Phantom, and Boston have done decently well with in the past ( '82 - '84, and '98, 2012) with Pines of Rome. Star did play the Villa Borghese and other stuff, but it's pretty different. ...and that's just what the Cadets do from time to time; they bring back a classic piece, and add in some new pieces for a show. Sometimes it works really well, and other times it's 4th place. They're certainly in the running this year.

Besides, Crown is playing Medea, which is Star 1993 stuff, and they're certainly rocking it hard and adding some chordal complexity to the '93 Jim Prime arrangement. Crown is smoking hot, and certainly have a more coherent design than what I saw from the 8 minutes of BDs show from memorial day, which I was rather surprised by... BD has the prettiest trombones that I've seen so far, but the Bieber stuff right now sounds a little too similar to the K-Pop section to me ( groove-wise and place in the show). That's not the most innovative thing. BD does sound good though.

...and then there's Bluecoats, who are sounding really good compared to what I've heard from others.

It's gonna be an interesting year, I can say that for sure. I just hope we can get past the fanboyisms and talk about the actual shows for what they are and not worry about who played what before. That's not going to cut it with the designs I've been hearing so far this year. Peace! :shaun:

I really, really enjoy SCV. I thought Les Mis was amazing and I loved 2014. I just think they're starting to fall flat. They need to do something fresh

• Like 1

Its not the theme choice.... its not the music selections list played ( whether its played first or 15 times before )... its not the quality of the drumline ( good or bad )....... its the Show Design/ Visual/ Guard that primarily drives the placements... nobody knows nuttin ', imo (.... haha)

It is the magical symbiosis between the theme and visual design that clinches it. Last year, the Bluecoats' visual program was from a dream. Ethereal and mystical, but built on a thematic foundation of day old oatmeal. Blue"s visual team was like Van Gogh doing face painting at a suburban tween birthday party. Conversely, BD's Ink theme was great, but I wanted to give the marching program a nitroglycerine needle to the heart-- some of the stage pictures seemed clogged, gerrymandered and cluttered.

Edited by Channel3
  • Like 2

I really, really enjoy SCV. I thought Les Mis was amazing and I loved 2014. I just think they're starting to fall flat. They need to do something fresh

They're doing a really good job of being super secretive this off season.