Troopers/Madison Preview LIVE Discussion

What? Streaming video isn't going to be on par with the quality you can get from a HDMI or thunderbolt cable for a long time. Is it more convenient to chromecast? Sure. But if I'm going to watch a movie on my TV from my laptop, I'm sure as hell using my HDMI cable.

FYI - If you're laptop is streaming it, you gain nothing by going with a cable from the laptop to the TV. The issue is with the provider (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc.) all compress the video to save on bandwidth (whole premise of the TV show Silicon Valley). Using a cable does nothing as the steam is already compressed. Unless you are playing a fully uncompressed file from your hard drive with the same FPS, resolution and bitrate as a bluray you aren't gaining anything. Read this. You can bet DCI Live is compressed. Not supporting chromecast or apple TV is not directionally accurate.

• Like 1

FYI - If you're laptop is streaming it, you gain nothing by going with a cable from the laptop to the TV. The issue is with the provider (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc.) all compress the video to save on bandwidth (whole premise of the TV show Silicon Valley). Using a cable does nothing as the steam is already compressed. Unless you are playing a fully uncompressed file from your hard drive with the same FPS, resolution and bitrate as a bluray you aren't gaining anything. Read this. You can bet DCI Live is compressed. Not supporting chromecast or apple TV is not directionally accurate.

The point I was making was the "flight path" of the data. either way you always have the first part of the flight path:

Field -> camera -> compression -> content delivery network -> Internet -> your router -> your computer -> decompression -> your screen

THEN either by HDMI cable you have

Your computer -> TV

While by chrome cast you have

Your computer -> compression -> router -> chromeCast hookup -> decompression -> TV screen

Not to mention that in going to the router you have To send the signal via wifi. I guess it's similar to gaming on wifi vs wired.

So yeah, chromeCast feels much more futuristic and I like to use it more, but an HDMI cord is just as advanced and in fact is a bit more capable.

Once again, I'm going all off of memory here, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Lol. I love how 9 out of 10 posts in this topic are about HDMI cables/streaming/techno mumbo-jumbo

and nothing to do with the performances themselves!

• Like 5

More consumers need to understand their OWN audio/video equipment that receives the incoming signals is an important member of the team. Every HDTV can be tweaked for optimum picture. Some spend good money to bring in a professional calibrator to perfectly match their settings, with consideration to the ambient light that surrounds. Others are satisfied to calibrate themselves through trial and error. It takes time. Even then, your own eyes would evaluate the same picture differently than another person sitting in the same room.

Then, of course, there's download speed. I was using between 35-45MB with a newer version router. Naturally, my UHD TV didn't deliver UHD, but the quality reminded me of an upscaled 1080p. It was all very, very good. Certainly better than previous years.

I think some of the quality stutters I noticed were due to the sending equipment and its operators at the stadium. I don't think this was the 'A-Team.' Doubtful the guy in the truck had too much to pick from either.

This was truly a 'Dress Rehearsal' for more than just the corps. I'm not worried by the flaws I was able to see and hear.

• Like 1

Lol. I love how 9 out of 10 posts in this topic are about HDMI cables/streaming/techno mumbo-jumbo

Well, all the self appointed A/V experts need time to show how totally awesome they are. :silly:

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 1

Well, all the self appointed A/V experts need time to show how totally awesome they are. :silly:

Well, if they are willing to take the time to post suggestions which may help us all to better enjoy the Drum Corps viewing experience in our own homes, then we are all the better for it. Speaking personally....thank all of you who are sharing your suggestions. It means a lot -- to me, at least.

• Like 2

On the dress rehearsal relative to Madison: They have finally taken the leash off the horn line! The music is aggressive, challenging and recognizable. The sound is bright, rhythmic and energetic. The visual matches the speed and aggressiveness of the music, but so far, lacks the control necessary to make the over all show enjoyable. The performers aren't sure of the show visually. That will come. The bigger question is whether the visual (written) "book" is conducive to demonstrating the necessary cleanliness. They need to increase their tolerance levelarrow-10x10.png in that area to be successful. They won't peak early!!

I think Andrew Ebert's drill has improved immensely, personally.

I vote that for the next broadcast thread, a separate thread be created purely for the discussion of streaming issues.

• Like 2