2015 Rankings (by most recent score)

Original post updated with all scores from this weekend. (Kidsgrove, Cabs, Cadets², Hurcs, and Kilties x2)

This clears things up......

Bill,

You mean IT was, not IS was. See what you do when you write at 5:30 a.m. on drum corps planet, :tounge2:

Can I bring you some coffee?

Bill,

You mean IT was, not IS was. See what you do when you write at 5:30 a.m. on drum corps planet, :tounge2:

Can I bring you some coffee?

Youse means youse kan't talk 'bout and understandz whats I's was writings aboutz?

Just becuze I's wnet to Mick-Donalds thiss morning and sitted down before me's realized I's forget to put on mys pants---dozen't means I's old an dozen't knows whatz I's doin', ya know. I should make bail by noon. :wink:

Edited by bill
  • Like 4

Jeff, it was a DCI show and one of the first full panel shows, hence the adjudication was formatted under the positioning of judges per DCI protocols, which (unlike DCA) have some on the field.

ah gotcha. wasn't able to tune in early enough to see you guys, and since there's no dvr feature....

In addition to the Clifton scores as listed in that thread, Governaires were scored on DCI sheets at Minneapolis tonight (7/11) and got 61.950.

In addition to the Clifton scores as listed in that thread, Governaires were scored on DCI sheets at Minneapolis tonight (7/11) and got 61.950.

Check again. There is a "communication" line on their recap and that does not exist on DCI sheets. I know that means their score went down, but I would image they did not have necessarily a bad run. It is very difficult to place groups accurately, score-wise when there is no one else. Not to mention DCI judges whether we want to believe it or not have a difficult time judging a DCA groups simply because they are exposed to a much higher quality on a regular basis due to the superior amount of rehearsal hours a junior corps receives. It will be fun to see what the MBI and the Govies get with an actual DCA panel. Until then, we wont' really know for sure.

With that being said, we might be able to compare Alliance with them when Alliance performs at the Dome. It will be similar situation... albeit different weeks, so maybe not.

Check again. There is a "communication" line on their recap and that does not exist on DCI sheets. I know that means their score went down, but I would image they did not have necessarily a bad run. It is very difficult to place groups accurately, score-wise when there is no one else. Not to mention DCI judges whether we want to believe it or not have a difficult time judging a DCA groups simply because they are exposed to a much higher quality on a regular basis due to the superior amount of rehearsal hours a junior corps receives. It will be fun to see what the MBI and the Govies get with an actual DCA panel. Until then, we wont' really know for sure.

With that being said, we might be able to compare Alliance with them when Alliance performs at the Dome. It will be similar situation... albeit different weeks, so maybe not.

The Kilties score decreased from Rockford to Whitewater and I suspect for the same reasons Govies dropped as well.

1) Large panels vrs small panels after July 4th.

2) DCA adjudication is all from the box, with the larger panels DCI provides---there are judges on the field as well.

3) Kilts and Govies like to screw with everyone's brains!! :crazy:

Check again. There is a "communication" line on their recap and that does not exist on DCI sheets.

OK, thanks for the clarification.

Can Cadets2 win it all?

I found that indeed, I have time, at least to start this. As I said before, a loaded question, but a teachable moment. I'll do my best.

The quick and dirty answer is there are a lot of "Ifs" here.

Let's pull up the Clifton recap first:

http://dcacorps.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/clifton711.pdf

Now let's look at it as a Corps staff or a judge would look at it.

Start with Visual and Color Guard: Look at how there's a .5 split from What is done in the top box compared to how in the bottom. The judges are saying that they see the ideas to an extent, but they need to clean it - badly. That's a good thing. Having the top box ahead of Fusion and Cabs, a good thing, IF they can clean it. The Cabs have a concern right now in that the bottom exceeds the top in Visual. Where do they go from here? The message is that they need to add more content if they want to grow. Much the same issue with Fusion. Do they have more content to add? I'd certainly think so. The people who work with them are very savvy, no fools there. The Bucs also have a wide split top to bottom- which means they also appear to have more untapped potential.

In Guard, they're 4th, and it looks like all 4 of the top 4 guards have a lot to clean and address. The Guard would have to step up their game if they want to win the title.

The Brass will really have to step up.they're a .7 gap behind Fusion, the 3rd place score. That means they'll have to do a lot of work to catch them, let alone anyone else.

Percussion's in the hunt. Then again, so are the Cabs. Last season IIRC, when the Cabs were beating the Bucs- the closest their percussion got to the Bucs was losing by .6, I believe. The Percussion's in the game, then again, C2's Percussion section's been the meat of this corps and the section that's been carrying everyone else on their backs kicking and screaming. The good news is that they're still carrying the corps, but with less weight on their back and a lot less kicking and screaming at this point.

When the Brass gets their act together, their Ensemble number should shoot more in line with the Cabs and Bucs from the looks of it. They've had issues before-- if they can get everyone, not just the best 6 people in the horn line to play consistently this season, that number could make a huge difference.

The Effect composition numbers look very competitive. The spreads from top to bottom indicate the judges see good stuff but that it needs to be cleaned.

As for Communication- The number is very good, tying Fusion. The issue is this- historically, C2 has had contests where they have been very inspired and scintillating- Big Sounds 2013 for instance where I honked off the little old lady next to me for cheering like crazy when they set up the end of the show and honked off someone else because they were a hater. Look, if the goods are delivered, I set the issues aside and will give a corps its due. They deserved it that night. The problem is C2 went flat for Finals Weekend and lacked that special something. They need to be more consistent in that way.

Which could mean... waffles. If the "management" gets the kids up earlier and lets them make some freakin' waffles in the hotel this time, it just might help them have more of a positive mood when they make their prelims and finals runs. Little thoughtful things like that make a HUGE difference, whether the "management" at C2 gets that. Maybe they will this year.

Can they win Finals? A very, very qualified "Maybe". A LOT of cleaning will have to take place. The Brass and Guard have to step up more, the Brass moreso than guard. The opponents would have to fade somewhat, and I wouldn't count on that happening. It's bad policy to count on your opponents choking or stalling to beat them in DCA. Fusion, Cabs, Bucs, MBI- they dont give up. C2 will have to take control of the program and their responsibilities, bust their humps, and come at it all out to win finals.

So, there you go. I think I was fair, and did my best here. Any questions? :satisfied:

Edited by BigW
  • Like 1