DCI West- Stanford, CA

It seems SCV won't be an easy takedown either... But the answer you are looking for is the Tour of Champions - Central Missouri on July 13th

Thank you for being clutch, clutchtow.

• Like 1

So three favorite shows of the night:

Pacific Crest - Top notch visual program and percussion for sure. They sound pretty good too. Love the color guard costuming and equipment. The new uniforms are SHARP! I'm excited to see the prop in, obvious in many spots the drill centers around that. Beautiful ballad was probably the highlight of the show for me.

Phantom Regiment - Another fantastic visual program. Hunt did a great job. Fun show, huge improvement over the last two years. Good to see them back in white. Favorite part was "Organ Symphony", absolutely glorious. And I loved the cathedral inspired drill. This show has legs, should clean up really well.

Santa Clara Vanguard - Wow. This is that staff they started in 2011 coming to fruition. Top notch in every aspect. Weaker spots in brass and guard in design and performance HUGELY improved over last year. Drill is amazing, favorite I've seen this year. Music is beautiful, love the mad scientist vibe I'm getting. Closer is just incredible. Colorguard costuming and equipment is very striking. I'm incredibly excited to see where this show goes.

• Like 1

The Cadets did not lose to any corps other than BD for the entire 2014 season until Finals night. The Bluecoats beat Cadets on the last day of competition.

So many things to say about this Phantom Show. First, it is WAY batter than what they have done the last couple of years (though probably not as good as Tarandot, IMHO). I really like this show a lot and I think it will have a lot of fans. I don't know how I feel about the arrangement of Claire de Lune, however. That song has a lot of personal meaning to me. It felt a little rushed to me.

This may be the first time I have heard Phantom do jazz (or something close to it). This may be the first time this season that I am really ###### off that I can't go back and watch Phantom's 2005 Gershwin show (which I don't think I've seen before). I'm guessing there will be many other times that I will have that same feeling throughout the season.

The Saint-Saens piece is perfect from drum corps, but I hate-hate-hate the synthesized organ sound they are using. They need to find something that actually sounds like a pipe organ, rather than a cheap electric organ from the 1970s.

Overall, I really liked this show a lot and I think it will grow on me even more as the season goes on. Too bad Phantom (and BD and SCV) are skipping the Utah show this year (and the Denver show). That means I most likely will not get to see it live.

Turandot was a solid show, but this seems to have more entertainment value. The Eiffel Tower, cathedral snapshots, Moulin Rouge dancers, etc. It is a throw back to the original Gershwin music the winter guard played in the late 70's when they did "American in Paris". They WON WGI with that show! The Saint-Saens is a throw back to that time as well, but a lightened up version. Drill is their forte and I'm personally happy to see the new guard staff is bringing - less wallowing on the ground and more unison guard flag work. Good year!

• Like 1

This is my first show I've watched on TV in a long time. What I will say is this. DCI needs to get their crap together. The feed was herky jerky, some of the camera angles were apparently being done by Helen Keller, and they synch between video and audio was horrible at times. DCI is paid a crap ton of money to deliver a product. If you can't deliver their needs to be something done to make it right. I doubt this will happen, as they probably ignore these threads. That being said, onto the show.

Obviously most of the shows are still incomplete.

The Mandarins - Obviously not done, however the show is easy to follow with a great them, and everything clicks. They'll do well.

Pacific Crest - Some nice moments but again, not done. It will be great to see a finished product. Love the new look, (except the extended cape down the leg...aka Blue Devils.

Blue Knights - I need to see this again, not sure what I watched.

Phantom Regiment - I thought this was going to be cheesy, and I was wrong. I thoroughly enjoyed this show, it was easy to follow, the rep is catchy, and they tell a complete story. LOVED IT!

Santa Clara Vanguard - I about peed my pants with excitement...where has this group been? LOVED everything from beginning to end. My personal thought, Could be a top 3 finisher.

Blue Devils - **sigh** I did not get this show (though it was the high cam I was watching, because the multi cam wasn't working). They play well, they do what the Blue Devils do, but I was underwhelmed. Hopefully changes will occur to make me favor this show a bit more, but right now, I do not see this competing at the end of the season.

If anyone wants to see BD/SCV in action (recorded from iPhone), send me a PM and I will send you the unlisted links when uploads are complete!

Thanks!

I was there live and I have to say that these shows are the best I have ever seen from every single corps that was there! I think BD/SCV could tie. No one is on the same level as these two drum corps are on except Bloo. The concept of the BD show is super simple. Just go watch into the woods and bingo you will get it. Then again if you still haven't got it you probably never will so just crank up that VCR and watch your old timey drum corps shows pre pit.

I really love the SCV Stanley Cup trophies with the tops cut off. :D SCV was very loud! I thought BD was back on G bugles after fam day. SCV is even louder! Every single corps tonight did a stellar job. BD guard had 4 falls. I predict either BD will take all captions tomorrow ...OR... SCV will eventually catch them and win.

Going to hang out with BD tomorrow and then PR on Monday.

• Like 2

Sounds like SCV's arrangement of Pure Imagination is similar to Fiona Apple's version as seen in Chipotle web commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUtnas5ScSE

Already mentioned this on the SCV 2015 thread, but yes, it does sound very similar.