Live from Wildwood

I imagine DCA has the entire season in mind when deciding on the 4-person panel. These shows are well attended, but I imagine the other shows are less for other areas of the country. With that being said, those were some very small stands. The crowds in the south are at least that size... just with a much larger stadium (more than twice that size at most schools).

With all that being said, I believe the show sponsor pays for the judges, so maybe DCA paid for these? Not sure why there wouldn't be a full panel if the sponsor pays.

4 person panel? Really?

Yes really

Or maybe at this point in the season the feedback wanted is more big picture in nature which those 4 sheets will give you

• Like 1

Why in the world are there only 4 judges for the first 2 weeks? Both shows do pretty well for attendance, so they can afford to bring everyone in.

If you really think about it, it's not a very big show. The stands are very small, Cabs are probably breaking even (or close to it) on the show. I would think that DCA is trying to do all they can do to make the economics fair for the show sponsors and the corps, especially considering an early season show is a risk financially.

The stands seat no more than 1000 on the home side ... I think that is way generous. I'm sure the City of WW helps with the big expenses, like the stadium, police, emergency personnel and practice facilities, corps appearance fees are probably on the Cabs plate.

The Clifton show is probably the Cab's big money maker. It's in North Jersey in their home territory and they are able to charge more for tickets and it is usually packed making it far easier to cover the judge expense.

Good for DCA thinking out of the box about decreasing expenses for these early season show sponsors.

Still a 2.5 spread is big - might've been even bigger with a regular panel.

AoE

Edited by AoEnut

With the four judge panel, the communication value doubles from 10% to 20%. Scoring falls into five equal 20% captions. The value of percussion and brass intensity in judging seems decreased to "ensemble."

That said, the results of the judges are as valid as at any other DCA show. The competitors agreed to this format in appearing..... a lot of effort went in to being able to finance such a fine show. The stands were filled with folks who saw a great show and then spent the evening on the Wildwood Boardwalk. EVERYBODY won !

That IS weekend drum corps at its finest !!!

Cabs unis.....ooooof. Pass (based on these pics). Lifelong Cabs fan. Thought last year's were actually very sweet. These are very disappointing based on the pics in this thread.

I agree, I was pretty unimpressed. To be honest my first impression was they borrowed some random bands uniforms for the day cause theirs weren't ready.

Were they in need of a makeover? Probably. Just not sure that is it.

It's tough when you have identities such as the Cabs or even The Cadets. For so many reasons change is a risky proposition, the fans and Alumni are reluctant to change and they give so much vital support - life moves forward. Kudos on finally taking the chance, just not sure I get the new vision.

Wait till The Cadets change their uniforms, North Jersey might blow up.

AoE

• Like 2

Appears the most controversial aspect of Wildwood this year will be the Caballeros uniform change, not scoring. Many older alumni will be unhappy, I think. They ARE sharp, they DO look good, but they just don't look "Caballero."

Then again, at my age, I don't like much of any change!

• Like 1

If you really think about it, it's not a very big show. The stands are very small, Cabs are probably breaking even (or close to it) on the show. I would think that DCA is trying to do all they can do to make the economics fair for the show sponsors and the corps, especially considering an early season show is a risk financially.

The stands seat no more than 1000 on the home side ... I think that is way generous. I'm sure the City of WW helps with the big expenses, like the stadium, police, emergency personnel and practice facilities, corps appearance fees are probably on the Cabs plate.

The Clifton show is probably the Cab's big money maker. It's in North Jersey in their home territory and they are able to charge more for tickets and it is usually packed making it far easier to cover the judge expense.

Good for DCA thinking out of the box about decreasing expenses for these early season show sponsors.

Still a 2.5 spread is big - might've been even bigger with a regular panel.

AoE

Or lower when the averages come into

Play

• Like 1