Live from Wildwood

Appears the most controversial aspect of Wildwood this year will be the Caballeros uniform change, not scoring. Many older alumni will be unhappy, I think. They ARE sharp, they DO look good, but they just don't look "Caballero."

Then again, at my age, I don't like much of any change!

The only alumni I see complaining aren't Cabs alumni

• Like 6

Not sure it's "complaining"

- sounds like opinion.

It's hard to rebrand. Coke, Chevy & the Cabs, all in the same boat public perception wise.

AoE

It's long overdue. I'm sure they gave it a ton of thought, and it's not hurting the scores now is it?

• Like 2

It's long overdue. I'm sure they gave it a ton of thought, and it's not hurting the scores now is it?

It's interesting, most of the complaints I've seen are coming from folks who aren't and were never were part of the Cabs

Edited by Fastone
  • Like 4

Funny thing is, the change was probably long overdue. Every other corps in that show last night has changed their uniforms - most more than once. And it wasn't that long ago that everyone's biggest gripe about the Cabs was that they never change. The irony of the sweeping visual changes against a show based on a romantic oldie wasn't lost on a number of observers, and I even saw a few tears during the ballad. Maybe Unchained Melody brought back memories of some guy in kick pleats. But maybe the greater message is just what it says... they're unchained.

• Like 2

The show title has so many meanings. I wish I could see it in person

Actually, my biggest gripe against the Cabs the last few years is how the show design fits in. I've really enjoyed the last 3 years shows (including this years especially) but from a design aspect, I still don't get it. Chaining up and removing them at least 3 times goes against the Unchained theme (some don't like the effect, I however do.) It will open itself up for some dirt, like how much is one chain drooping compared to the next one, but I like the effect, but when thinking through the show, leaves a some people I talked to confused. As well as the suspended snare drummer. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT! But again, they are hooking/chaining themselves up to it. They also need to a lot more with this. The Tenor part was a big let down compared to the snare. Would have done that first when designing. Afterwards, only noticed 2-3 horn players playing off them, which just seemed to conjure up the ladders from a few years ago. Last, Unchained Melody, every time they play it, I like it, except for the small ensemble. Instrumentation didn't work and sounded extremely timid in both Friday/Saturday run throughs and the rehearsal.

If my biggest gripe is design, I can live with that because musically, it is very fun to listen to. Uniforms...eh. My friend seems to think they are going to add on to the uniforms. Long overdue, but was expecting something with more flair and not plain-jane.

Edited by Kyle B

Also, I have to say the Bucs show is purely amazing. They must have said when designing it - let's not tell a story, let's kick some ### and play good. Because thats what they do. They really are doing very tasteful electronics - poor Fran Haring will never introduce them this year. The pre-show is jaw dropping when the corps is officially 'announced'. I got goosebumps at their pre-show run-through when I was actually standing below the corps in front of their pit. I also can't believe they are the first corps to think of this, because any corps with a pre-show should think about doing it. I was also laughing uncontrollably towards the end of the show when they do their company front. You will see why.

If I wasn't getting married this summer I would desperately want to fill any type of spot they had because it's just a good ol' fashion drum corps show with some electronics.

Well, speaking from the kick-pleats from 2006-on, the continuously open kick-pleats were significantly dirtier than the alumni style that flowed with each step. Having something dangling on your foot was never going to help them. Also, it was overdue because they were 70 years old. Does this mean they were hated - no. Just means it was time for a change. Bluecoats had awesome uniforms - then they wanted something new, and now Bush is the recipient of them. Change ain't bad when it's done right.

• Like 1