Live from Wildwood

The new Caballeros uniform needs a few small tweaks. Not sure what, but a little more Latin flair, a little less generic to every other corps. I'm no fashion designer, but they'll find the right 'touch' in someone else's suggestion. They'll find it soon, too.

Geez, I'm still trying to adjust to not hearing the starter's pistol!

• Like 2

I am a self confessed Caballeros groupie, have been since 1963, that is my only affiliation with them or any other corps. We were in Hudson last week and Wildwood this past Saturday and we totally enjoyed the show in NJ. Niether my wife or I are schooled in any kind of music so we may not be cabale of passing judgement, but please allow me to say that the Cabs show was great, I also don't care for the uni's, but no one asked for my input. The Bucs show is totally fantastic and I think they all should be looking in their rear view mirrors....there's a purple intimidator coming up behind them quickly.

If possible, get to a show this year. We will be in Strafford, CT next Saturday.

Edited by RickiJay

This is all cool to me. By the time we at Skyliners come out to our first competition in July, nobody will even care that our uniforms changed. :cool:

oh we'll let you think that LOL

From talking to visually oriented folks, the tailoring of the blouses compared to the more modern cuts tended to make them look less crisp, even when they were performing "clean". Also, the solid colors top to bottom can also accentuate error, the new unis look to help to diminish issues like height differences, make the smaller folks look taller, all things that add up in terms of impressions. Modern unis are much more fitted and tailored, angular to enhance shapes, they're not as 'rounded' as ones from even 20 years ago. All very deliberate in terms of their design.

Funny how when the Hurcs went from their readily recognizable "Cop Hats" to shakos how this didn't raise any ruckus. In fact, the change in that case was welcome visually, the corps looks taller, straighter, and it does definitely enhance their appearance on field.

I'm trying to think how to explain this issue better. All I can think of is the Cabs' analog in F1 racing, Ferrari. BITD, they resisted technology/innovation in the late 50's, being the last to go to disc brakes and move the engine to the rear, and their resistance cost them a lot in terms of competitiveness. Since then, they have sunken their teeth into innovation when possible, and they still retain their tradition and mystique nonetheless- and they're still relevant and competitive as a result. The Cabs obviously desire to remain relevant, and to do so, they've consciously and deliberately done this to take their shot at Championships, not just "do their best" and end up hamstrung by certain issues because of refusal to upgrade. We've recently seen where that has taken some teams recently- just sayin'.

Yes, a very clinical breakdown of how Michael J. Cesario looks at the world of outdoor band.

But are they a good uniform? Are they pleasing to the eye?

R.I.P. "Cop Hats"

- just sayin'

AoE

Edited by AoEnut
  • Like 1

Well, to be forthright about it, if you want your fat people to look fatter, keep the old style and cut. You want your short people to be accentuated in forms and make them look out of form when they are not, keep the old style and cut.

Pleasing to the eye? That's in the eye of the beholder, but perhaps less pleasing are the aforementioned issues sticking in the viewer's head.

I find it ironic and amusing I get attached to Cesario. There are times like any designer he hits the mark, others where he's missed. I'll pass judgement on the unis until I see them personally on a field. As for the Cop Hats, they made the fat people look fatter and the short people look shorter, unfortunate, but that's the way it rolled. Me with the cop hat, I'd look even more overweight then I am. Tack on 40 pounds easy. :satisfied:

• Like 1

Yes, a very clinical breakdown of how Michael J. Cesario looks at the world of outdoor band.

But are they a good uniform? Are they pleasing to the eye?

R.I.P. "Cop Hats"

- just sayin'

AoE

well, it's pleasing to me. I wouldn't have worn the old one

Well, to be forthright about it, if you want your fat people to look fatter, keep the old style and cut. You want your short people to be accentuated in forms and make them look out of form when they are not, keep the old style and cut.

Doesn't matter ... big people are still going to look big and short people are going to look short. It's not like its junior corps kids that transform over the summer to the ultimate body type the uniform is being cut to. They will be tailored and fitted to the 2015 corps, the 2016 Cabs will be totally different. That's why I think you're reading to much into the cut of uniform for this particular part of the world.

In the ever changing world of DCI were the uniform companies are treating the corps proper almost as a cast -sort of like the guard- uniforms are morphing year after year. Do you want to look like someone from Iowa or maybe a little more streamlined to the tastes of todays designs?

Do your uniforms attract membership?

Again, I'm glad they tried something new. Just seems a little bland and cookie cutter. I believe the Hawthorne Caballeros are a high profile brand and a #### good one at that. They are ambassadors of the activity, a link to the past and they are forging path to the future - I think they deserve the best. Maybe more is to come for the uniform. Texture, color, maybe the chain thing is an incomplete thought. Here's to something that is as dynamic as the Caballeros past and hopefully future.

... not sure how I feel about the "Cop Hat." At least the DCA corps had some resemblance of tradition. Good thing? Maybe. You might remember this day as "How to Mothball Your Cop Hat" a conversation for band nerds :mellow:

AoE

Edited by AoEnut