Live from Wildwood

I hate to say it, but the new uni's are more unkind to the larger folks. Also, there are 4 frames, not 3. They just hoist up 3.

I hate to say it, but the new uni's are more unkind to the larger folks. Also, there are 4 frames, not 3. They just hoist up 3.

Negative. Three swing-sets. We'll have to disagree on how the unis look on larger folks. The general consensus around the corps is that it makes all body types look FAR better than the old ones, and is actually pretty slimming on the few larger folks we have.

Edited by Kamarag

Hmm, I guess there was a large space between one of the drummers and the other combined with my extreme viewing angle made it look like there was one not being used.

Hmm, I guess there was a large space between one of the drummers and the other combined with my extreme viewing angle made it look like there was one not being used.

I suspect it's the way they appear chained together (they aren't), particularly when the five tenors hang their drums on them (three inside, two between). I can't tell you how often I've had to look at them twice to figure out what's going on. Expect to see the prop use (well, the whole show, really) develop over the course of the summer. What everyone saw in Wildwood was by no means a finished product.

I've been known at times on these boards as being a bit of a Cabs basher, however these new Uni's are a VERY nice look!

and there you have it!!!

• Like 3

Negative. Three swing-sets. We'll have to disagree on how the unis look on larger folks. The general consensus around the corps is that it makes all body types look FAR better than the old ones, and is actually pretty slimming on the few larger folks we have.

Just like the Skyliners' new uniforms... it's a clean, sharp look, for sure!!!

• Like 1

I've been known at times on these boards as being a bit of a Cabs basher, however these new Uni's are a VERY nice look!

A bit of a Cabs basher???

That's like saying Joe Stalin was a bit of a nice, kindhearted guy. :lol:

So, to read this compliment about the uniforms from you... well... this might be the start of a new world order. LOL.

• Like 5

Well:

I do not like Cab's new Unies at all. Look very Junior Corps or Band. Not very Latin at all. I did like Last years though. Seemed to fit name and Corps, Style, Class, and History.

As for Sky. They are OK I guess. (Far better than the last time they made that drastic change. They were Horrible.) These new ones seem to tie Old with New some. An up date to the New Styles of today

Edited by 2B or not 2B

As I mentioned in my review post, many things have "changed" in the activity in the past few years. Some enhance my enjoyment, some not so much. As an example, BD's use if amplification of brass last year was really cool. Well mixed, fitting in perfectly with the ensemble blend, and most importantly to me, requiring performer excellence to generate maximum effect. Conversly I found Cadets narration to be an unwanted and unessesary distraction, which I believe may have been recorded and lip synched, requiring minimal perfromer excellence.

I think the discussion of visual competitive advantage of modern uniforms is a little over rated. In my recent experience with visual judges and tapes, there is little focus on individual brass performance and excellence, (no visual judge even needed on the field), and more emphasis on staging and dance movement as it relates to visual effect. Most visual tapes are saturated with attention to the guard and how the design and music enhance their effect. We certainly can't say that body size and type is a major consideration of guard uniform effect. Some bodies are going to stick out visually no matter what.

For many years I can tell you the personal effect of the white satin and kick pleats taking the field with the arm swing to the street beat has NEVER gotten old to me, and I will miss it very much. I certainly won't say that it will ruin my enjoyment of the rest of the show.

I do think a little more bling is needed to create the visual pop and flash the old uniform provided. The red sequins on the sombrero do not flash as dramatically as the silver, and currently there is nothing else "shiny" on the uniform.

• Like 1