Moonlight Classic, Sacramento 6/21

Thanks, you guys...you've clarified BD's show elements for me.

In this light, I have to say I don't think the K-Pop thing is bad, since it fits the story. And, it's kind of cool, actually.

edit...

I went back and watched the whole BD video...not just the K-Pop part. I can see where various characters interact and, in some cases, control the brass line and I see how Red Riding Hood DOES appear to direct the dancing. When the brass line interrupts things, she is affected as much as the dancers.

Also, having seen the movie...In The Woods...I can certainly imaging Red Riding Hood doing something like that. She was kind of a brat...although with a heart of gold. LOL!!

Edited by Herk

The kpop thing, which I imagine is this years' controversy, is bad on two fronts. First, it's basically a dj, set drummer, and dancing corps members for 60 seconds. A WGI show broke out in the middle of my drum corps show, not what I paid for. Second, as mentioned above it totally ruins the flow of the show. As Herk posted, they play arguably some of the best jazz ever, then the dance club opens, and a minute later we're back to BD brass kickin' you know what. To me it's a waste of time.

Well, it's not a waste of time because variety...specifically musical variety, and variety of effect...are criteria on the judges' place-mats. You're not going to find more variety in any span of any other show than the span of time you just described.

Now, it's absolutely fine that you don't like the K-Pop (I love it, and it's pretty clear from the audience reaction BD is getting that they love it too), but calling it a "waste of time" is completely inaccurate.

Edited by Kamarag

Well Mr. Kamarag, we must agree to disagree. You're right, I don't like the K-pop, more so because of what it could mean for the activity long term. If there were some interaction between the hornline/drums and the "music" - say a little kpop, then some brass hits, kpop, drum licks, etc - then I would consider it part of the show. Instead, it's a 60 second so-you-think-you-can-dance number...not what I consider drum and bugle corps.

There is a fine line between variety and doing something just to see what happens, and I believe this falls into the later. I like italian food and mexican food...that's variety. But if in the middle of eating a delicious enchilada I stop, pick up a dozen eggs and throw them at the wall, then eat a bowl of fettuccine alfredo as if nothing happened...that's crazy. Not to mention the time I wasted throwing those eggs could have been time enjoying more enchilada or fettuccine.

So I will amend my statement...it is not a waste of everyone's time...it is a waste of my time.

Now I'm hungry.

Well Mr. Kamarag, we must agree to disagree. You're right, I don't like the K-pop, more so because of what it could mean for the activity long term. If there were some interaction between the hornline/drums and the "music" - say a little kpop, then some brass hits, kpop, drum licks, etc - then I would consider it part of the show. Instead, it's a 60 second so-you-think-you-can-dance number...not what I consider drum and bugle corps.

There is a fine line between variety and doing something just to see what happens, and I believe this falls into the later. I like italian food and mexican food...that's variety. But if in the middle of eating a delicious enchilada I stop, pick up a dozen eggs and throw them at the wall, then eat a bowl of fettuccine alfredo as if nothing happened...that's crazy. Not to mention the time I wasted throwing those eggs could have been time enjoying more enchilada or fettuccine.

So I will amend my statement...it is not a waste of everyone's time...it is a waste of my time.

Now I'm hungry.

You're entitled to your opinion, but the drum line AND brass played during the K-pop section.

• Like 1

Now I'm hungry.

BD is interested in whether or not it's a waste of the judging panel's time.

It would appear it isn't, based on early season feedback from them.

Edited by geluf

And you've pointed out why people have issue with BD. It's not about entertainment, enjoyability, etc. It's about whatever scores well.

Well, audience reaction to the K-Pop section has been overwhelmingly positive. You might not like it, but most others clearly do.

I find BD does a lot of things well. I could see why they won last year- in many ways- it did not feel like a drum corps show. However, the one show I have actually REALLY liked in the last 8 years was 2013. I have found that each section of the corps is always outstanding, but their shows to be boring -see 2009,2010, 2012

Well, audience reaction to the K-Pop section has been overwhelmingly positive. You might not like it, but most others clearly do.

Where's this overwhelmingly positive reaction? I think a few moms and teenagers howling like they are at a dance off shouldn't be considered overwhelming.

• Like 1