I am loving the treatment of Pure Imagination from SCV this year, from what I hear in a video from Stanford on Saturday. The show overall is absolutely fantastic, but I think this slower piece in the middle is just perfect.

It's neat what the percussion is doing underneath with the rhythmic pulse. I can't tell what it is though-- it ALMOST sounds likes some sort of "chanting". It's cool.

Soloist sounds just stunning. It's nice to see electronics used in a way that you can still hear that the musician is creating a great sound.

My ONLY complaint is that I wish the full corps played the melody a little longer when they add in from the back right of the field. Would love to hear the final full chord extended a bit more.

Loving SCV this summer!

• Like 1

I am loving the treatment of Pure Imagination from SCV this year, from what I hear in a video from Stanford on Saturday. The show overall is absolutely fantastic, but I think this slower piece in the middle is just perfect.

It's neat what the percussion is doing underneath with the rhythmic pulse. I can't tell what it is though-- it ALMOST sounds likes some sort of "chanting". It's cool.

Soloist sounds just stunning. It's nice to see electronics used in a way that you can still hear that the musician is creating a great sound.

My ONLY complaint is that I wish the full corps played the melody a little longer when they add in from the back right of the field. Would love to hear the final full chord extended a bit more.

Loving SCV this summer!

Dang! I can't think of a review that more enticed me to go watch a show.

Love your passion. Gonna go look for what you saw that drew it out of you....

Pure Imagination is one of my favorite songs of all time. I had no idea that SCV was playing it this year.

Well what I really like about this rendition is that it really captures that feeling of being alone and misunderstood. The way the speakers add a reverb or something just make it sound like its being played in an empty cathedral. That, plus the way the rest of the corps is playing backfield so that it sounds distant invokes a feeling of being around people but not being part of them. The dove imagery is really cool too! Wow, I feel like i'm writing a high shcool english paper, over-analyzing everything...

Well what I really like about this rendition is that it really captures that feeling of being alone and misunderstood. The way the speakers add a reverb or something just make it sound like its being played in an empty cathedral. That, plus the way the rest of the corps is playing backfield so that it sounds distant invokes a feeling of being around people but not being part of them. The dove imagery is really cool too! Wow, I feel like i'm writing a high shcool english paper, over-analyzing everything...

Definitely, although the bird symbol is supposed to represent pigeons. According to the SCV blog...

"Surprisingly, Tesla’s didn’t enjoy a life of fame and fortune. Because he lived in a time where the world demanded practical and profitable results, his inventions and ideas didn’t receive the praise and appreciation they deserved. After spending years cooped up in his lab, Tesla began to suffer from hallucinations, making it difficult for him to differentiate between his imagination and reality. In fact Tesla’s claims that one of his closest relationships in life was with a dying white pigeon who he had been caring for outside his New York apartment. This touching story of love and loss, paired with the eerie melodies of “Pure Imagination,” is the inspiration for our third movement."

http://blog.scvanguard.org/2015/06/18/who-is-nikola-tesla/

Definitely, although the bird symbol is supposed to represent pigeons. According to the SCV blog...

"Surprisingly, Tesla’s didn’t enjoy a life of fame and fortune. Because he lived in a time where the world demanded practical and profitable results, his inventions and ideas didn’t receive the praise and appreciation they deserved. After spending years cooped up in his lab, Tesla began to suffer from hallucinations, making it difficult for him to differentiate between his imagination and reality. In fact Tesla’s claims that one of his closest relationships in life was with a dying white pigeon who he had been caring for outside his New York apartment. This touching story of love and loss, paired with the eerie melodies of “Pure Imagination,” is the inspiration for our third movement."

http://blog.scvanguard.org/2015/06/18/who-is-nikola-tesla/

Gimpy, my pigeon project looks to be doing much better. We are going on 8 weeks now and she walks with just a minor limp, curse the neighbor’s dog. I stopped feeding her in her spot under the porch the other day as she now rejoins her flock for the feeding frenzy after I fill up the feeder. She is still being pressured into a relationship by an aggressive male that’s taking advantage of her weakened conditions but considering what the finches go through in the late spring…maybe it’s just the pigeon way

I’m not sure which ones are the hallucinations so we won’t get into that now

• Like 1