Lots O'Fun in O'Fallon - June 23

Cleveland, this is exactly the way it shaped up in 2014, and I would be inclined to agree with you regarding 2015, except that 2015 is starting with a narrower top-to-bottom spread than we saw last year -- the most obvious evidence of that being the overall lower scores, most especially among the top corps. I have no idea what that will mean after 6 weeks, but I want to believe that the judges are deliberately keeping the pack somewhat tighter, at least in the early season, to help keep corps at least somewhat competitive with the others in their respective ranges. This could give different judges time to see more corps in more head-to-head competitions before they start making up their minds where each belongs in the rankings.

Just a theory on my part.

Interesting theory. Certainly the judges could be trying to keep tighter gaps, but since each individual judge doesnt influence the score too much i find that its hard for me to buy in. Unless some judges go rogue (brass judge last night out west for example).

I could be wrong about which corps will be "in the hunt" and which will be safe. It would be one hell of a season if 9 to 14 is competitive in late july. And of course if 1 to 5 is as well.

I just think every year we talk about how great these races can be, and in the end the field starts grouping rather quickly.

It was 1 point and a tenth actually. Crossmen had a 1 point penalty at prelims

Yes, you are correct, but you still have to take that penalty into account since it affected their score and almost cost them finals. It also would have been hard for the Colts kids to take since it made them come that close.

since each individual judge doesnt influence the score too much i find that its hard for me to buy in.

. . . which, if you turn that coin over, can be seen as evidence to support my admittedly home-brewed theory. The tight spread could be an indication that the judges, as a group, are collectively keeping the overall scores lower, and the overall 1-27 spread tighter than usual in the early season to achieve the objective of keeping the pack competitive at least until the regionals.

• Like 1

1. I forgot about that penalty.

2. Checking the score on the app (which is through the dcp scores) they have the crossmen score wrong in the recap. I think in the algorithm they have it to subtract any penalty from the overall score, but the penalty column is already negative so i think they added it to their score.

3-0 Nats over the Braves in the top of the 5th. Come on ATL!