Hamilton review

Decided to take a last minute day trip to the Cincinnati area show. Here are some ramblings and thoughts of my experience. Lots of hype and some negatives.

(Seated side 2 on the 30, a couple rows from the top)

Troop: all I could think of was 07 crown, but then the ballad happend.. wonderful vocalist & wonderful visuals that reconfirmed the theme "WILD horses". still dirty, but a fun show nonetheless. Wish they would find a way to stabilize the fences better, the pvc footing in the middle looks a bit cheap (honestly I think most props do) and even popped off of a section of fence & became a tripping hazard.

Madison: idk what to say here.. as dirty as it was, l still enjoyed this show beginning to end. I didn't much care for the dancing girl cut outs, but the effect was still there. Brass was hot and had my toes tapping.. this show is a drum corps fans show (No pun intended) and I've got no idea why people on DCP don't like it. Fast paced drill, loud fun music that connects, and inventive guard work.. Just what the doctor ordered.

Blue Stars: as far as cleanliness goes i had them ahead of Madison, & From a perfomance/design standpoint They sell this show through and through.. the way that the music and drill plays on the theme so cohesively, creates an 06 cavies type of effect to me, which is great. They use them well, but the stationary props limit them and hide some drill (from a lower pov). With the proper cleaning and additions (im sure will come), this show will be even more competitive come August.

Crown: rough start with the whole banner malfunction, but HOLY (un-holy..?) Brass! Musically they gave me what i wanted and more, but the drill design could have been a better, definitely for a corps that is gunning for gold. Visualy, I'm honestly more a fan of their ALMOST unachievable shows like 12' and 07' before the closer re writes. Either way, their show live is 5x better than anything you'll find on any youvideo site. There was a big smile on my face the whole performance.

Bluecoats: ...wow. didnt expect it, but they were much more entertaining than 14'. I dislike electronics, but this show changed my mind quickly. The way they used different textures of sound & effects throughout was borderline revolutionary and the horline and guard responsibilities were very high. Clean this and we'll have a new Champion come August. The only thing I didnt like was the ballad drill. Maybe i missed something, but at one point it looked like liked parts of the horn line were kind of just hanging out and doing randomized visuals. Didnt really add to the overall effect for me, but again i could have missed something and or was over thinking things.

Sorry BAC & SOA i missed your shows.

Mostly due to the wind, 3 corps that I saw had prop malfunctions. Stars, Troop, & crown.

Props seem to work better when they can be moved around and or manipulated in some way.

Other thoughts: As much as I hate to say it, this year is making me appreciate and really enjoy amps, singing, and trombones in drum corps. Unfortunately though, I feel that shows like Bluecoats and Crown have wont really read well in video form for me, thus further decreaseing the amount of moder drum corps I watch online or buy. BUT nonetheless, live i am wow'd 10 times over.

Edited by rancidrolla
  • Like 1

WOW!!! You made a statement in your review on Bluecoats something like, "clean this and we'll have a new champion". Here is my honest opinion on that: the top three this year (in no particular order) will be Cadets, BD, SCV. I don't care how much Bluecoats clean they are not your 2015 champions. BTW; they do a lot of cool things with the electronics (borderline overkill) but let's see if the audience tires of it before Indy.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

WOW!!! You made a statement in your review on Bluecoats something like, "clean this and we'll have a new champion". Here is my honest opinion on that: the top three this year (in no particular order) will be Cadets, BD, SCV. I don't care how much Bluecoats clean they are not your 2015 champions. BTW; they do a lot of cool things with the electronics (borderline overkill) but let's see if the audience tires of it before Indy.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

it occurs to me that your opinion that they won't be a champion and the OP's opinion that they will are both equally valid.

• Like 3

I'll remember that come Saturday, championship night in Indy.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

I remember that night last year! Good times :-D

• Like 2

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Have you seen Bluecoats live this summer?

• Like 1