Michigan City Match 6/27

Now ( I know Im gonna hear it for this ) I know a corps , was a while back, who said it stood for Behind Again and Crying ................STOP and lighten up those whos blood pressure just hit an all time high..other corps have pet names also. relax..lol

While I do not question a rival or two could have given them that name, I don't think it was given out of love. Boston Crusaders don't cry, and back in the day if they did, they'd probably have had their tear ducts surgically removed!

While I do not question a rival or two could have given them that name, I don't think it was given out of love. Boston Crusaders don't cry, and back in the day if they did, they'd probably have had their tear ducts surgically removed!

well of course not, most names, BITD songs, about other corps always came from rivals. Not all that serious.

I know I'm getting sucked in to this, but I have been around the Boston Crusaders for over 50 years, I have friends who have marched in Alliance, 27th, Royal Brigade, Blessed Sacrament, North Star, Pembroke Imperials, Rockland Defenders and so on, and I have never heard that phrase that Guardling used regarding the term BAC. I have a feeling He made that up, along with most of what he posts here from his Mom's basement. While I do cry occasionally ( which I certainly will on our 75th), it will be for joy, and never because I've been behind anyone. Looking forward to a great celebration this week with family and friends!

• Like 4

Many thanks to those of you who brought up all the other corps that used to exist around the Boston metro area. We forget about what a hotbed of drum corps the Boston metro, and New York metro, areas were back in the day. I am so glad that Boston Crusaders have been able to last this long and thrive. I hope we never lose them. I was heartbroken when 27th Lancers and North Star folded tents, and I do remember seeing Alliance and the Defenders back in the day.

• Like 2

What? The Alliance isn't going to get a mention?

I didn't mention the corps prior to 1975 or the other greats such as Alliance or Sancians later Spectra and Heightsmen who formed the corps or Diplomats or East Coast Jazz, but we had our greats.

• Like 1

You know, jwillis, when I joined BAC in the late fall of 1979, there were FIVE "World Class" corps (called Open in those day) from which I could choose. I chose to join the Boston Crusaders, despite the fact that at THAT moment in time, they were the smallest, least well funded corps of the group. I met a bunch of the members over the course of the summer of 79...yes, the summer of the 25 man hornline....the summer of the t-shirts which read "25 and Still Alive"....the summer where some of the World Champion Blue Devils actually wore these exact shirts under their uniforms in tribute. The BAC members I met were neither thugs nor were they crying. They were simply kids who weren't intimidated by anyone else. I liked that. In turn, many members of each of the corps who eventually folded had dismissive and condescending things to say about this small corps with a hand-painted bread truck for a corps truck and homemade uniform pants.

At the end of the day, nobody's revisionist history can alter the fact that the Boston Crusaders are now 75 years old, and have a vast corporate structure so well capitalized it can plan on the next 75 years without giving it a second thought.

Thanks for your kind words, jwillis. I love them, too.

• Like 1

I have never heard that phrase that Guardling used regarding the term BAC. I have a feeling He made that up, along with most of what he posts here from his Mom's basement.

I believe we all can take a joke.. or most of us. But when a poster unilaterally makes up out of whole cloth a hateful term for a Corps that comes from a dark place, ( with a reference to the 3 letters" BAC" never heard of before ) coupled with about a dozen other comments over the last year that have little basis in any reality that I'm familiar with... it falls into the realm of just silly trollling now, imo. But in my view, everyone here has an equal right to look like a complete and utter fool should they choose to do so, too, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

You know, jwillis, when I joined BAC in the late fall of 1979, there were FIVE "World Class" corps (called Open in those day) from which I could choose. I chose to join the Boston Crusaders, despite the fact that at THAT moment in time, they were the smallest, least well funded corps of the group. I met a bunch of the members over the course of the summer of 79...yes, the summer of the 25 man hornline....the summer of the t-shirts which read "25 and Still Alive"....the summer where some of the World Champion Blue Devils actually wore these exact shirts under their uniforms in tribute. The BAC members I met were neither thugs nor were they crying. They were simply kids who weren't intimidated by anyone else. I liked that. In turn, many members of each of the corps who eventually folded had dismissive and condescending things to say about this small corps with a hand-painted bread truck for a corps truck and homemade uniform pants.

At the end of the day, nobody's revisionist history can alter the fact that the Boston Crusaders are now 75 years old, and have a vast corporate structure so well capitalized it can plan on the next 75 years without giving it a second thought.

Thanks for your kind words, jwillis. I love them, too.

I remember those scrappy Boston Crusaders corps from the 1980s. What they lacked in numbers they made up for in talent, desire, determination, and a hell of a sound. After '87, I noticed their hornline numbers increasing in '88 and '89. Then came 1990..wow! In my opinion, that 1990 corps was the culmination of all they had worked for, up to that point. Not forgetting to mention, it was one hell of an awesome show; my favorite from the Boston Crusaders, to this day.

Craiga, Brasso, Liahona, Guardling, yes even Guardling; if any or all of you are in Gillette on July 2, let's meet for a refreshment. We can chat about our DCP opining. I think all of you marched or taught or did both with BAC, it would be fun to meet in person and really compare experiences. Any DCP'ers should connect that day if you go.