Do Early Season Scores Really Matter At All?

Halfazz Panel: An assemblage of adjudicators, all having suffered partial cheekectomies?

DCI is attempting to bring in new , younger blood to its judging panels. Thats a good thing, imo. Some of them were judging Drum Corps shows when Jetro Tull's Band were packing their bags for the Woodstock Concert.(... the 1st Woodstock ). These particular DCI judges have probably had 10 Colonoscopies by now, HornTeacher.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Here is a question I had while reading this thread and I'm not sure of my feelings on it. Just pondering out loud.

Do scores sell tickets??? If there were no scores but only feedback commentary given to corps, how would that affect ticket sales and the fan base discussions online? Do we gain information based on scores when no review of the show from someone who was there?

Edited by drummergirl

feelings are that when ON FIELD judges are added mid way-- (san antonio?) that a big shake-up occurs. less of your total points are influenced by "big picture" issues and more are allotted to personal/individual technique ---

i won't name any groups specifically, but there are a couple I've always noticed to come out hot for half a season and then drop back a point or so, relative to the competition, when the full panels are used.. :-)

feelings are that when ON FIELD judges are added mid way-- (san antonio?) that a big shake-up occurs. less of your total points are influenced by "big picture" issues and more are allotted to personal/individual technique ---

i won't name any groups specifically, but there are a couple I've always noticed to come out hot for half a season and then drop back a point or so, relative to the competition, when the full panels are used.. :-)

I don't know, there has already been a good amount of full panels so far. It didn't shake things up too much (the Bluecoats won, but not by too much).

Here is a question I had while reading this thread and I'm not sure of my feelings on it. Just pondering out loud.

Do scores sell tickets??? If there were no scores but only feedback commentary given to corps, how would that affect ticket sales and the fan base discussions online? Do we gain information based on scores when no review of the show from someone who was there?

Medford Oregon is a tour stop but it is not judged, just exhibition. And from what i have heard, it doesn't necessarily struggle to sell tickets to the show.

This was what I posted in the "other" thread, but it's worth of discussion here since this topic was spun off from it...

Full Panels vs. Limited Panels, so far this year...

West coast:

FULL
FULL

FULL

FULL

LIMITED

FULL

FULL

Rest of the country:

FULL

LIMITED

LIMITED

FULL
LIMITED
LIMITED
LIMITED
LIMITED
LIMITED
LIMITED (Muncie, was scheduled for 5 judges before rainout)
LIMITED
LIMITED

As it has been explained, legend has it that show hosts out west with some extra cash are able to front the extra costs of flying in additional judges. Fact or not, it creates a huge disparity and also some huge concern for staffers of corps in the rest of the country who are getting limited feedback night after night without a brass judge, or a drum judge, or whatever else. While I'm all for hosts with disposable cash being able to buy nice things, it shouldn't be at the expense of the corps elsewhere. Competitive advantages come in all forms, and by the time July rolls around, any given corps on the west cost could have been to 7 or 8 more shows with full panels than a corps in the midwest. That equates to 20-25 additional (and thus missed) lines of feedback for these corps. That could be HUGE when factoring in design changes and refinements to a show.

If DCI is so concerned about saving money on panels (and I get it, I truly do), then make it limited across the board. 5 guys every night, every show, period. Until it becomes time to upgrade everyone to full panels (Regional, major event, "x" date, etc).