Do Early Season Scores Really Matter At All?

Medford Oregon is a tour stop but it is not judged, just exhibition. And from what i have heard, it doesn't necessarily struggle to sell tickets to the show.

Out of curiosity, I looked up who was at this show.

PERFORMING CORPS:

Blue Knights - Denver, CO

Oregon Crusaders - Portland, OR

Columbians - Pasco, WA

Impulse - Buena Park, CA

why are there not DCI qualified judges around the country that can do a couple shows when the corps pass through? Why do the same names have to be flown around the country?

Many reasons. a few are there are a few people who have had a strong hold on their presence in the activity. They cultivated that many years ago. WGI the same

Another reason , there are less people jumping at that apple then most would think.

There are many qualified out there but not everyone thinks it's a position they want to be in, I've done it, I know..winter fall and a few summer.

There are some coming up and do expect within the next few years you should see a few more. IF they stay though expect the new to become the norm..lol..You know the old saying, careful what you ask for..lol.Time will tell as with everything. Change is always good if for no other reason it shakes things up from the status quo.

To the OP question , YES I do think early scores matter. They do not tell a whole story BUT they do present a picture. It does put corps in neighborhoods , easily seen for the most part . Corps, if they have the plan and talents to move up can certainly move in and out of a given neighborhood ( which can also go down ) but early on is at very least an indicator of many things. I will say it is nice to see corps progress way more than most think they will but time tells pretty quickly.

Edited by GUARDLING

This was what I posted in the "other" thread, but it's worth of discussion here since this topic was spun off from it...

Full Panels vs. Limited Panels, so far this year...

West coast:

FULL

FULL

FULL

FULL

LIMITED

FULL

FULL

Rest of the country:

FULL

LIMITED

LIMITED

FULL

LIMITED

LIMITED

LIMITED

LIMITED

LIMITED

LIMITED (Muncie, was scheduled for 5 judges before rainout)

LIMITED

LIMITED

As it has been explained, legend has it that show hosts out west with some extra cash are able to front the extra costs of flying in additional judges. Fact or not, it creates a huge disparity and also some huge concern for staffers of corps in the rest of the country who are getting limited feedback night after night without a brass judge, or a drum judge, or whatever else. While I'm all for hosts with disposable cash being able to buy nice things, it shouldn't be at the expense of the corps elsewhere. Competitive advantages come in all forms, and by the time July rolls around, any given corps on the west cost could have been to 7 or 8 more shows with full panels than a corps in the midwest. That equates to 20-25 additional (and thus missed) lines of feedback for these corps. That could be HUGE when factoring in design changes and refinements to a show.

If DCI is so concerned about saving money on panels (and I get it, I truly do), then make it limited across the board. 5 guys every night, every show, period. Until it becomes time to upgrade everyone to full panels (Regional, major event, "x" date, etc).

Making all shows limited say until regionals start would make sense and save money. Only problem is some cry babies would cry foul because they would lose the advantage they have had for years having full panel input for weeks before most other corps. Unless East and Midwest corps make a stink about the unfair situation nothing will change. :glare:

Making all shows limited say until regionals start would make sense and save money. Only problem is some cry babies would cry foul because they would lose the advantage they have had for years having full panel input for weeks before most other corps. Unless East and Midwest corps make a stink about the unfair situation nothing will change. :glare:

Who are the so-called cry babies? Call them out.

There is little to no value in getting tapes in the three performance captions prior to the 4th of July. The judges' commentary is not really helpful, and the performance caption judges will be the first ones to admit that.

This was what I posted in the "other" thread, but it's worth of discussion here since this topic was spun off from it...

Full Panels vs. Limited Panels, so far this year...

West coast:

FULL

FULL

FULL

FULL

LIMITED

FULL

FULL

Rest of the country:

FULL

LIMITED

LIMITED

FULL

LIMITED

LIMITED

LIMITED

LIMITED

LIMITED

LIMITED (Muncie, was scheduled for 5 judges before rainout)

LIMITED

LIMITED

As it has been explained, legend has it that show hosts out west with some extra cash are able to front the extra costs of flying in additional judges. Fact or not, it creates a huge disparity and also some huge concern for staffers of corps in the rest of the country who are getting limited feedback night after night without a brass judge, or a drum judge, or whatever else. While I'm all for hosts with disposable cash being able to buy nice things, it shouldn't be at the expense of the corps elsewhere. Competitive advantages come in all forms, and by the time July rolls around, any given corps on the west cost could have been to 7 or 8 more shows with full panels than a corps in the midwest. That equates to 20-25 additional (and thus missed) lines of feedback for these corps. That could be HUGE when factoring in design changes and refinements to a show.

If DCI is so concerned about saving money on panels (and I get it, I truly do), then make it limited across the board. 5 guys every night, every show, period. Until it becomes time to upgrade everyone to full panels (Regional, major event, "x" date, etc).

I thought the show hosts paid for the judging panels and then DCI contracted certain judges for the show. Maybe West coast is just more willing to front the money early.

I thought the show hosts paid for the judging panels and then DCI contracted certain judges for the show. Maybe West coast is just more willing to front the money early.

Read my paragraph above the one you responded to. The question remains, "why" are they more willing?

Unequivocally any way you slice it, it comes down to competitive advantage. Or at least that perception of there being one. Nobody is going to spend a few thousand extra bucks for flights and accommodations and fees when they could easily hire 5 guys and be done with it. There has to be a purpose. And we all know what it is. If you disagree, pull the wool back please.

And for Kamarag's comment of "there being little to no value in getting tapes in the three performance captions prior to the 4th of July", that's poppycock. Yep, I said it. And I know some of the best leaders in the activity (names you know, who I know personally) who would wholeheartedly disagree with you on every level.

Edited by IMcomguy

(edited out for sake of brevity)

Seeing this in the other thread, I was prompted to look online for a list of DCI judges and where they are based. Unfortunately none was to be found. I looked, because in thinking back to the Sacramento show I attended I recall that at least three of the panel were from the immediate area (one from Sac, Napa, and Danville) and there may have been one from Stockton, but I can't swear to it. That said, there may be some circumstantial connection to support the idea that show hosts such as SOME (Supporters Of Music Education) may flip the bill for additional judges, when they have available local judges, without incurring much additional cost at all.

Unfortunately, without specific information from either the western show hosts, DCI, or both, we're pretty much stuck speculating as to why full panels have been used in the West but not other regions.

Read the paragraph above the one you responded to. The question is "why" are they more willing?

Unequivocally any way you slice it, it comes down to competitive advantage.

And for Kamarag's comment of "there being little to no value in getting tapes in the three performance captions prior to the 4th of July", that's poppycock. There, I said it. And I know some of the best leaders in the activity (names you know, who I know personally) who would wholeheartedly disagree with you.

Yea, not so much. I spent years teaching and we were very much in favor of no performance judges before a certain date, for the reasons I outlined. I've bene there first hand, and talked to many other corps staff that feel the same way. It's far from "poppycock".

Does that mean you never get a good early season performance tape? No, you certainly can...but they are rare, mostly because if the performance judge is telling you something yo already know in the first two weeks of the season, you're not doing your job.

There is little to no value in getting tapes in the three performance captions prior to the 4th of July. The judges' commentary is not really helpful, and the performance caption judges will be the first ones to admit that.

Well, thinking people would then ask you :.. if the execution judges commentary has no value in the beginning of the competitive season, then why would such commentary be considered so valuable to some corps that they are apparently willing to foot the transportation costs to shuttle the judges out to the West Coast and then pay them to have them judge the execution captions, and provide these Corps their commentary ? How does this logic work then ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1