Do Early Season Scores Really Matter At All?

While we disagree on the value of early season performance judge's commentary, I'm totally on board with your premise that it's unfair across regions. I'd love to see a rule implemented that makes it fair, if we're going to limit the panel in the early season.

*thumbs up*

While we disagree on the value of early season performance judge's commentary, I'm totally on board with your premise that it's unfair across regions. I'd love to see a rule implemented that makes it fair, if we're going to limit the panel in the early season.

And while I am totally on board with you regarding the fact that adjudication and commentary of all competitions...both east and west...should be of equal value throughout the season, I also feel that whenever we feel the need to institute yet another "rule" to ensure such is nothing more than an admission that not only is that not happening, but that a more general awareness of "common sense" and "adjudication practice" has been lost as well. Why do we have speed limits? Because without them, people would drive at whatever speed they wish. Once we feel the need to establish a new rule, then we are, by logic, admitting that the contrary practice to the very rule we are adding is currently taking place.

BUT...and that is a very major BUT....judges are nothing more than human. As a result, judging is nothing more than the individual practices and interpretations of humans. As much as many here on DCP absolutely despise any cross-referencing between Drum and Bugle Corps and the athletic world, I would submit this for consideration:

Through the wonders of cable TV, the common baseball freak may watch an afternoon baseball game between the Yankees and Red Sox...an early-evening game between the Cardinals and Mets...and a late-night (eastern time, of course) game between the Dodgers and Giants. To the most discernible fan, a difference between the strike zone (according to the official Baseball Rule Book) may be easily discernible. Does that make one, two...or even all three of the home plate umpires wrong? No. It's just a matter of "how they see's 'em." I don't wish to portray myself as a blind sycophant of DCI judges...but neither am I in any informed position to cry "foul."

Edited by HornTeacher