The Rise of Pseudointellectuals on DCP

(let's make a rotating cube instead of doing the chicken dance!)

that's me

My question is this: what is the point? Yes, I do think all of your ideas have merit. Especially the complaints about body movement. But at the same time, how does it REALLY make a difference?

yes, they have merit and why 'Especially the complaints about body movement'?

One of my main contentions is that other areas of performance are suffering due to time spent teaching another skill that they can’t master. It takes a lot of time to learn how do dance even more time to clean an ensemble on a dance move and that comes at the expense of other performance areas and I see it. It gets sillier when it doesn’t even fit or breaks the flow or stops the GE stacking

All these PI's will complain about "lazy design," but who really cares?

I care, isn’t that enough? So are the judges complaining with their critique, am I not allowed an opinion too? Don’t we praise BD for detailed show design, so others should get a pass?

Please don't take this as a personal attack.

Oh, you meant pseudointellectual in a good way

Not that I care, it’s mainly aesthetic

Nor should anyone take this as me trying to stifle discussion. I encourage people to share their views, no matter how much hate they get for it. I do the same. I'm just so sick and tired of seeing these PI posts and I want a real explanation of WHY it actually matters. And I want to know just how many of the audience is even going to pick up on these details.

Then why have the details at all, why waste the time?

Many of these ‘innovative’ GE moments are becoming compulsories and that are far more limiting and stifling to innovation that anything. What if a corps doesn’t want to do body movement will they take a hit on the score? I say yes, corps are now forced to do body movement even though it’s not on the sheet . That’s not innovation, that is the push for conformity.

Thanks for the explanation. I said especially body movement because body movement truly doesn't have anything to do with the show other than adding "demand." Some examples of body movement are relevant to some themes at hand (the way in which BD's corps moved around in parts of their show last year, the guard member shaking as if she got blasted by noise in Bloo's show this year).

Okay but ARE the judges making these complaints about lazy design? I don't think anyone can know considering the tapes are not given out.

To your last point: so is everything just black and white then? You're promoting either extreme detail or no detail at all. Why can't there be a middle ground like there already is right now?

Edited by Cappybara

Because all of these people who have presented these overanalytic views have failed to explain how any of this matters/is relevant. They are being intellectual for intellectual sake (until they explain otherwise).

I whined to my heart's content in my build up to my questions, but I reached my main point regardless: What is the point of these changes that you propose? How many people exactly are going to even realize these changes? What evidence is there that these changes will even make a difference in scores?

Nothing you describe here amounts to pseudo-intellectualism, or even "being intellectual for intellectual sake". Again, I'd say they're the opposite . . . what might be called (a bit unfairly) philistinism. But since you provide no specifics, only a shadowy army of "theys", it's hard to say for sure.

It really just sounds like people stating opinions on a message board, and other people disagreeing with them.

Edited by Rifuarian
  • Like 3

Nothing you describe here amounts to pseudo-intellectualism, or even "being intellectual for intellectual sake". Again, I'd say they're the opposite . . . what might be called (a bit unfairly) philistinism. But since you provide no specifics, only a shadowy army of "theys", it's hard to say for sure.

It really just sounds like people stating opinions on a message board, and other people disagreeing with them.

Or more precisely...Alternative Viewpointism?? (Which, while may it may be construed as a bastardized form of "Philistinism," also isn't. Or does the usage of such words and viewpoint qualify me as being an automatic Psuedo-Intellectual?? )

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1

I didn't point out specific names on purpose. That would likely get this thread locked.

As for your issue on my use of pseudo-intellectualism, call it whatever you like. That isn't the point of my post anyways.

I didn't point out specific names on purpose. That would likely get this thread locked.

As for your issue on my use of pseudo-intellectualism, call it whatever you like. That isn't the point of my post anyways.

You don't even have to call out names, just provide specific quotes that support your assertion. In other words, practice what you preach . . . if you want others to support their points then you should do so as well. Otherwise this seems like a passive-aggressive whine towards those nasty people with opinions different than yours.

And if it's not the point of your post then I'd suggest changing the title. And also the content of the post.

Thanks for the explanation. I said especially body movement because body movement truly doesn't have anything to do with the show other than adding "demand." Some examples of body movement are relevant to some themes at hand (the way in which BD's corps moved around in parts of their show last year, the guard member shaking as if she got blasted by noise in Bloo's show this year).

Okay but ARE the judges making these complaints about lazy design? I don't think anyone can know considering the tapes are not given out.

To your last point: so is everything just black and white then? You're promoting either extreme detail or no detail at all. Why can't there be a middle ground like there already is right now?

it's like I don't even know what you don't get otherwise, I'd give you an answer

I can see this thread lasting about 2 hours.

I don't know.. threads complaining about what fans think and say can go a long way, imo.... usually longer than what ( for example ) the Open Class, and DCA Corps are doing these days in scores, placements, shows, and contributions being back into their communities, etc.

Never underestimate the degree to which some people can be offended, angered, etc by other people's opinions.on things in Drum Corps. It makes one wonder if all the fan complainers want, or can tolerate, are people's opinions that exactly mirror their own opinions. Its like.. a Corps that does a controversial show, is fine. But a fan that makes a controversial comment or assessment, should have their" pseudo intellectual" cerebellums surgically removed, or some such. Unless a Corps or a fan is viciously, personally attacked by what is expressed, all manner of opinions should be free flowing, and tolerated, imo... yes, even the ones ( like this one ) where Drum Corps fans complain, and,beetch & moan, about other Drum Corps fans opinions.

Edited by BRASSO