Seattle Cascades 2015 "Intergalactic"

A lot of the new staff at Cascades was the staff at Troopers when I marched there.

Kyle Thompson on brass, Nick Benson on drill and visual, all the same. Some of the same techs even. Top-notch educators.

They've even hired some of the folks I marched with. Their tour manager, Michael Tran, was a fellow trumpet player at Troopers my last two years. Same with some of their guard and visual people.

Gives me a bit of a soft spot for them :) best of luck this season!

I can see the connection, they're doing a great job, there's just new life in them after 2014, hope they stay there for awhile because it's working. They can build something special there.

Edited by DrumManTx

As a current NW corps fan, I truly appreciate the effort that Cascades have put into their program and staffing. This is a very nice program from start to finish and I believe it is good enough to get them into Semi-finals come August. That my friends if a huge step forward.

They are much improved in all sections and the design of the show is perfect for their members. Kudos to the staff and I hope they continue to grow as a team.

I am also wondering how the additional 3 new (and maybe 4th ) NW corps are impacting OC and Cascades. FYI, too bad the Columbians are not doing a national tour this year, I think they could easily make OC finals and challenge for top 6 in Open Class.

Anyway, great job Cascades. I hope this corps can continue its steps forward from today towards the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Cascades

I woke up this morning with your beautiful ballad stuck in my head - especially the solo which is so well played and does such a nice job of ushering in the middle section of the show. Not very many corps ballads occupy that stuck space in my head so that is a real testament to your show!!! I really enjoy watching you this year and wish you the very best.

See you in the semis!

Edited by luv4corps

Dear Cascades

I woke up this morning with your beautiful ballad stuck in my head - especially the solo. Not very many corps ballads occupy that stuck space in my head so that is a real testament to your show!!! I really enjoy watching you this year and wish you the very best.

See you in the semis!

I heard "Black Hole Sun" on the way to work today and all I could think about was Cascades ballad, one of my favorite things on the field this summer.

I heard "Black Hole Sun" on the way to work today and all I could think about was Cascades ballad, one of my favorite things on the field this summer.

The song has a rather haunting, fetching melody - the way Scades are doing it brings out those qualities even more.

Edited by luv4corps

I am also wondering how the additional 3 new (and maybe 4th ) NW corps are impacting OC and Cascades. FYI, too bad the Columbians are not doing a national tour this year, I think they could easily make OC finals and challenge for top 6 in Open Class.

The Columbians had a really wonderful show--beautifully designed and well performed with its 104 members. It was a treat to see how far they have come in such a short time. A big thanks goes to the Columbians from the Cascades for loaning us (Cascades) two Jupiter tubas and a Jupiter euphonium. We were short of instruments.

Eruption is in the similar geographic area as the Cascades’ home base. Eruptions provides a drum corps experience not served by the Cascades. I think this strengthens the local drum corps market, and it has certainly increased attendance at our Seattle/Renton show. OC and the Cascades are together providing Eruption with brass instruments, and the Cascades are providing Eruption with battery.

OC serves a different member market than the Cascades. OC has transitioned to a national staff and is recruiting nationally. The Cascades focus on local members and maintains a largely local staff. OC start's all-days (every-days) on June 1st, two weeks earlier than most of the Cascades' members are out of schools.

All totaled, there are/were about 460 members competing in Northwest drum corps this year, the most since 1976. There are plans in place to hopefully add a sixth NW corps in 2016.

Edited by Northwest-MikeB
  • Like 1

I totally agree, the NW is growing I would almost say too fast, but for the kids who cannot afford a national tour, there are options. I hope the Columbians take their time before they go to Indy. (Assuming that is a goal of theirs anyway). Once you commit to the national Tour, you must have the means to pay for it. It seems they have a good starting point with an older Alumni group from the past.

I thought the Columbians were a new corps - did they exist previously then fold for awhile?

As for the Cascades, love seeing the improvements this year and hope they can make Semis.