Immediate Snare Spot Opening @ Boston Crusaders

As I'm watching the Boston Esplanade fireworks, I was thinking about which is tougher, learn a brass part/drill or an on field percussion player? I'd say the snare/quad member since they're so exposed and don't march fast as often as a brass player. Hope they can find a great candidate.

Edited by Ghost

As I'm watching the Boston Esplanade fireworks, I was thinking about which is tougher, learn a brass part/drill or an on field percussion player? I'd say the snare/quad member since they're so exposed and don't as often as a brass player. Hope they can find a great candidate.

brass players can lay out and just march in the shows as they learn... drummers can't really do that.

brass players can lay out and just march in the shows as they learn... drummers can't really do that.

Yes I've known brass players who have done just that...

...So if a snare just marched in his spot...but didn't play...would that KILL their score?...or what exactly is the reason?....I'm not a drummer...so I am very curious as the reason...

Yes I've known brass players who have done just that...

...So if a snare just marched in his spot...but didn't play...would that KILL their score?...or what exactly is the reason?....I'm not a drummer...so I am very curious as the reason...

Hi Liahona... I couldn't play a paradiddle to save a whale, so some drummer might be better to chime in. That said, I don't ever recall a snare drummer in line not playing in the modern DCI era ( once saw a non playing snare march in line with a caste on from a broken arm, pre DCI ). I just don't envision a Corps today however going with a snare in line, and just marching, but not playing. They'd be far better off just going out with what they have, until the snare drummer is ready to go. Thats my 2 cents worth.

I would imagine that if BAC is fortunate enough to get themselves a replacement at this late date, that snare won't be out there until Allentown, at the earliest. He or She better be a fast learner too. Its one thing to pick up the snare drum parts. But its quite another to learn those drum parts, play in total unison with the other snares, AND learn the drill, sufficient enough to be at a World Class Division level. My guess, maybe such a snare, if they get one talented enough, and a quick learner, will see the field in the Quarters at Indy.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

The following was posted by Ellis Hampton, yesterday, on his Facebook page:

"Thank you to everyone who spread the word in the last few days, and for those who send videos for our snare spot. We have it all worked out now! I truly appreciate the quickness and great playing I received!"

Edited by Barneveld
  • Like 1

It would look terrible if you had one snare drummer not playing, it would be bad for listening if one snare drummer wasn't playing, and not to mention you would have thousands of people talking about it all season. Glad to hear they have worked things out!