DCI video products unavailable

DCI really is just a small time operation. Recent developments have proved this to be so. Its time for a change.

Small enough so that they can't easily fend off threatened lawsuits over copyright from a representative of one of the major music organizations, that's true.

However, if someone has has a few hundred thousand (maybe more) they're willing to give them so they can make this threat go away, it's a good bet that they'd accept it. :cool:

Know someone on board with DCI this year, says there will be no DVDs produced this year. Please people, record!!!

Have they even mentioned the option of DVDs this year? They weren't part of any of the Live packages.

They talked about the Fan Network availability later on in the year but I don't remember DVDs being discussed.

We've discussed past incidents where select pieces of music were cut from the DVDs but I don't think anyone considered that the entire DVD would be cut. I can only imagine the lack of a DVD will have a "bit" of an effect on DCI's finances.

I don't know what kind of legal counsel DCI has used for copyright issues, but my wife is an expert in this area and he office is about two blocks from the DCI office.

Anyone have any hard information about what is going on?

• Like 1

I find it odd that Bands of America is able to have the streaming vidieo posted of all their events but apparently are not able to produce the DVD's of the same events...

Just speculating, but I'm guessing that they will pull all that streaming stuff down when all of the subscriptions run out in the fall, just like DCI did when fan network subscriptions ended. I imagine they were given that option by lawyers, companies, etc. so that they don't take a hit financially more than they already will be.

I really hope DCI is able to at least release a new fan network like WGI did...especially if the former post made is true that no DVDs will be produced this season. What a drag...

Hmmm, I wonder if the value of my old DCI dvds is going up?

• Like 4

My guess is not that they have competent counsel but that the copyright owners or agents are being tough and DCI therefore needs time to try to get its ducks in a row. Notice I said "try."

DCI won't be the same without DVDs. They're the best recruiting and marketing tool DCI has.

Edited by CDUB
  • Like 1

So help me understand something...haven't the corps and/or DCI secured synchronization rights for most of the current century to make the DVD's available? Why is there a copyright issue here? If any violations occurred in the earlier years couldn't they just stop selling those years?

The content delivery world today is still a little wild west, from a copyright standpoint, and it'll be a few more years until all the angles have been discovered/exploited by copyright holders and the holes closed (until the next method of delivering content is developed). All you need to do is find one example of your copyright having been breached by someone using a medium they aren't explicitly allowed to use (even if it hadn't been invented at the time of the original agreement), and you can close an offender down for good.

Word is that they're still working on coming up with a license agreement that would allow for streaming and hard-media production, but that until such an agreement is in place, that they're playing it safe, which is the best legal advice, under the circumstances.

Edited by Slingerland

I would not be surprised if DCI is forced to move away from DVDs to FN-only under a multi-year licensing agreement. That way the copyright holders/agents can re-assess their position and re-negotiate royalties, etc.

Just look at how mainstream music has moved from CDs to streaming. Granted, consumers have forced that move, as they're willing to have "access" to content rather than ownership via a specific license (i.e. CD, downloadable file).

The opposite issue might be presented in the case of DCI. Consumers do want ownership of a license (DVD) but the content providers know that once it's in the hands of the consumer, those providers know that they'll likely never again be able to make money on that content from the same consumer. Streaming therefore allows for a more predictable revenue stream. Or at least that's conceptually true.

I would love to know where the sticking point is here, as I am thinking there is an issue with only a small handful of copyright owners or agents. And there's a decent argument DCI should be making about fair use under the Copyright Act. It doesn't completely alleviate the problem, but the central mission of DCI, as a nonprofit, is related to education.

This whole thing is quite sad.

Edited by CDUB