DCI video products unavailable

It seems that all video stuff is the problem right now, and they will all remain down until the rights (both past, present and future) issues are worked out.

Two "thinking out loud" thoughts immediately come to mind -

1) electronics (and sampling) have not helped DCI in this regard.

2) If Youtube (a la WGI) is not an option, then DCI might consider granting the corps rights back to their own performances so they can sell them themselves. (This was kind of a sticking point with the G-7, and I believe Jeff Ream has said a not-so-small point in them staying, though.)

Mike

The degeneration of the fan network is a perfect reason to invest in good screen/video capture software to go with the "new" video delivery service.

The new video service is terrible with regards to skips and such, but last night's show was better than the previous one (for me, anyway).

The recordings from these software packages are pretty good. Some of them are free, though many of those type have time limits and other restrictions like watermarks on the video. I'm pretty happy with what I've recorded thus far.

I really miss the fan network, I didn't need to dig out the old DVDs/Blu-Rays/tapes (egad!) for a long time. Oh well, I collected them all over the years. Hopefully DCI will start selling them again so everyone has access in the future.

The degeneration of the fan network is a perfect reason to invest in good screen/video capture software to go with the "new" video delivery service.

The new video service is terrible with regards to skips and such, but last night's show was better than the previous one (for me, anyway).

The recordings from these software packages are pretty good. Some of them are free, though many of those type have time limits and other restrictions like watermarks on the video. I'm pretty happy with what I've recorded thus far.

I really miss the fan network, I didn't need to dig out the old DVDs/Blu-Rays/tapes (egad!) for a long time. Oh well, I collected them all over the years. Hopefully DCI will start selling them again so everyone has access in the future.

Can you recommend a good one (or a few different ones)?

• Like 1

"The degeneration of the fan network is a reason to steal unlicensed content from the publishers."

Fixed it for you.

Oh, please. I'm not posting them anywhere and I'm not using them for any monetary gain. They will not be displayed in public.

I do admire your high horse, however.

• Like 1

"The degeneration of the fan network is a reason to steal unlicensed content from the publishers."

F̶i̶x̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶.̶ "I know nothing about fair use law in the digital age." - exitmusic

Capturing live streams for your own use isn't illegal, and is covered under fair use law (even if the site's TOS says otherwise). It's only an issue if you redistribute it.

So, we've fixed it for you.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 5

Can you recommend a good one (or a few different ones)?

I sent you a private message. That's the one that has worked best for me thus far, I'm sure there are many others.

Capturing live streams for your own use isn't illegal, and is covered under fair use law (even if the site's TOS says otherwise). It's only an issue if you redistribute it.

So, we've fixed it for you.

I disagree that the TOS can't restrict such use. Making a contract not to do something that is otherwise legal is enforceable, so long as there is an exchange of consideration. (In this case, money in exchange for access to video streams.)

If DCI got its act together (LOL) and updated its terms of service, it would certainly be in its best interest to prohibit grabbing the streams, simply because DCI clearly doesn't hold the copyright licenses required to distribute archived performances of performances.

I can certainly see some lawyer for a publisher taking DCI to the cleaners because they didn't cover their ###. (Not to say that amending the TOS would actually make people stop -- it just wouldn't be DCI's problem anymore.)

• Like 1

I disagree that the TOS can't restrict such use. Making a contract not to do something that is otherwise legal is enforceable, so long as there is an exchange of consideration. (In this case, money in exchange for access to video streams.)

If DCI got its act together (LOL) and updated its terms of service, it would certainly be in its best interest to prohibit grabbing the streams, simply because DCI clearly doesn't hold the copyright licenses required to distribute archived performances of performances.

I can certainly see some lawyer for a publisher taking DCI to the cleaners because they didn't cover their ###. (Not to say that amending the TOS would actually make people stop -- it just wouldn't be DCI's problem anymore.)

In other words, we need far fewer lawyers. No surprise there.

Recording for one's own private use is a problem? Hm, why does almost every satellite/cable box come with a DVR function?

I would love to see all DCI recordings and videos just become individual downloads on iTunes. Maybe the shows that have more expensive rights are more expensive downloads?

There doesn't seem to be an easy answer, but I really hope that we don't lose the right to own recordings of new drum corps.. love the live broadcasts and theater, and while I don't rewatch shows, I relisten to them a great deal.