DCI video products unavailable

I don't understand how, after decades of DCI recording and releasing these performances, that this is all the sudden now a pressing issue. Most people can barely force their friends to watch a drum corps vid. It's a niche market of people buying this stuff. Just makes me wonder how this escalated so quickly.

Rights holders woke up. Period.

Rights holders woke up. Period.

And impossible to fly under the radar (aka niche market) with the Internet anymore.....

Lol

"M" in the financial markets is thousands. "K" isn't used anywhere.

Which contradicts us techies..... :tounge2:

And impossible to fly under the radar (aka niche market) with the Internet anymore.....

Which has led to a rash of third party copy write trolls, who look for violations to bring it to artists' attention and then ask for a cut if it gets that far

• Like 1

Which has led to a rash of third party copy write trolls, who look for violations to bring it to artists' attention and then ask for a cut if it gets that far

Dang why didn't I think of that.... maybe retire early and all that....

What makes some of you people think that you can record a live stream for personal use? Are you not aware of the announcements made at live shows prohibiting the use of recording devices during shows for copyright reasons? What makes you think that watching a show online is any different?

There's a difference in licensing between streaming an event live and recording it and time shifting the playback. In other words, just because you have the right to see and hear art as it is presented does not mean, without special permission, that you can save that art for later enjoyment.

So if you're engaging in this sort of behavior, stop. And if you can't stop, don't post about it online. That will most certainly not help resolve this logjam.

Rant over, soapbox dismounted.

I have no inside information, but I've been very curious about the rationalization used to make the FN - DCILive format change. There simply must have been a reason and, of course, odds are it's financial.

So here's my take: I remember a revenue number from Fan Network of $700m and I recently heard that DCi expected to lose 40% of that revenue in the switch to the new platform.

So why is that acceptable (assuming that 40% is accurate)? It only makes sense when you consider the cost of the platform. Before, if they were spending $600m to get $700m in revenue, then their net is $100m. If they're now earning $420m but paying $200m for the Nuelion platform, DCI's net is more than doubled and they have fulfilled their obligation to the taskmaster drum corps.

(disclaimer: I have no actual knowledge except for the $700m revenue number. But this type of end result is the only thing I can think of that would justify such a dramatic change in platform product offered by DCI to fans.)

they've been very honest the past few years releasing stats at the end of the year. this year will be very curious to see. They have to have lost $$ on the deal.

and as for not announcing anything concrete yet, until all of the legal stuff covering every form of licensing is needed, they won't announce anything as we've seen. hell even then they've delayed announcing stuff they said they would announce on a certain date.

in a way I feel bad for them....###### if they do, ###### if they don't. But I don't feel bad, because they knew with the issues at hand the current model of DCI Live was not as good as what was, and they held it close to the vest til the last possible minute. for the amount I've actually been able to watch this year with no DVR feature, and know what I'll miss coming up, I feel I overpaid....but what option did I have?

I don't understand how, after decades of DCI recording and releasing these performances, that this is all the sudden now a pressing issue. Most people can barely force their friends to watch a drum corps vid. It's a niche market of people buying this stuff. Just makes me wonder how this escalated so quickly.

a mega merger of licensing companies decided to rewrite or reinterpret the rules as they stood. hence the issue

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My question is: surely this does not affect shows containing only public domain music, or shows consisting of only music composed specifically for the corps (eg, most of the Cavaliers' 2000s shows) (at least, assuming the corps bought full rights to the work when they commissioned it, which may not be the case)?

I suppose such shows comprise a very small percentage of all shows, and thus would probably not be worth preserving on Fan Network in the absence of all the rest.

What makes some of you people think that you can record a live stream for personal use? Are you not aware of the announcements made at live shows prohibiting the use of recording devices during shows for copyright reasons? What makes you think that watching a show online is any different?

Don't confuse assertions of rights with actual rights. Copyright holders regularly assert all sorts of rights they are not entitled to. The rule against recording a live performance is enforced by the venue's right to throw you out, not by the copyright holder's right to prevent you from recording the event.

However, even when copyright holders have a legal right to prevent something, that doesn't mean we should accept it unthinkingly. Copyright law is entirely created by governments, and changes to copyright law tend to take away rights we currently have, or are promised to have. Such as the repeated retroactive extension of existing copyrights.

There's currently a debate going on in Europe over whether architects hold the copyright to any images of the buildings they designed. In other words, they assert that tourists taking pictures of a city skyline should be considered to be violating copyright and forbidden from doing so. This is not currently law, but it's been proposed.

So beware of copyright holders and their assertions. DCI has made a pragmatic decision to avoid trouble in the form of a lawsuit, but that doesn't mean the rights-holders are in the right either legally or ethically.

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 1