DCI video products unavailable

Rights holders woke up. Period.

Which more often than not has nothing to do with the actual artist. Just greedy jerks who publish the stuff.

There's currently a debate going on in Europe over whether architects hold the copyright to any images of the buildings they designed. In other words, they assert that tourists taking pictures of a city skyline should be considered to be violating copyright and forbidden from doing so. This is not currently law, but it's been proposed.

So beware of copyright holders and their assertions. DCI has made a pragmatic decision to avoid trouble in the form of a lawsuit, but that doesn't mean the rights-holders are in the right either legally or ethically.

I remember a similar assertion being made in the U.S. In the 1990s, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame sued a photographer who was selling framed photographs of their building--these were photos that he had taken from a public location. As I recall, a federal court of appeals ruled for the photographer.

There's currently a debate going on in Europe over whether architects hold the copyright to any images of the buildings they designed. In other words, they assert that tourists taking pictures of a city skyline should be considered to be violating copyright and forbidden from doing so. This is not currently law, but it's been proposed.

That clicked a brain cell or two of what I read about the symbol (Atomium) of the Brussels Worlds Fair. Below is from wiki on the copyright mess:

SABAM, Belgium's society for collecting copyrights, has claimed worldwide intellectual property rights on all reproductions of the image via the United States Artists Rights Society (ARS). For example SABAM issued a demand that a United States website remove all images of them from its pages. The website responded by replacing all such images with a warning not to take photographs of the Atomium, and that Asbl Atomium will sue if you show them to anyone. Sabam confirmed that permission is required.

Ralf Ziegermann remarked on the complicated copyright instructions on Atomium's Web site specific to "private pictures". The organisers of Belgian heritage, Anno Expo (planning the 50th anniversary celebrations of Expo 58), in the city of Mechelen announced a "cultural guerrilla strike" by asking people to send in their old photographs of the Atomium and requested 100 photoshoppers to paint over the balls. SABAM responded that they would make an exception for 2008 and that people could publish private photographs for one year only on condition they were for non-commercial purposes.

Anno Expo later announced they had censored part of their own report due to "complications" and referred to a meeting they had with SABAM. Mechelen's Mayor, Bart Somers, called the Atomium copyright rules absurd.

On 23 February 2009 Axel Addington, Web Content Manager for Atomium, e-mailed a clarification to the Glass Steel and Stone Web site, which some years earlier redacted its photographs of the Atomium after being threatened. He stated:

The royalties are perceived [sic] by the descendants of André Waterkeyn, the engineer who conceived Atomium in 1955, and not by the A.S.B.L Atomium. So, you've probably been sued by the SABAM (Belgian Copyright Company) because of the Waterkeyn Family.

From the Atomium's Web site, the current copyright restrictions exempt private individuals under the following conditions,

This is the case where photographs are taken by private individuals and shown on private websites for no commercial purpose (the current trend for photo albums).

In accordance with legislation, usage rights for the image of the Atomium would naturally extend to 1st January 2076, in other words, the seventieth anniversary of André Waterkeyn's death.

That clicked a brain cell or two of what I read about the symbol (Atomium) of the Brussels Worlds Fair. Below is from wiki on the copyright mess:

Interesting. I'd never even heard of the Atomium before:

filename-atomium-todayout.jpg

Interesting. I'd never even heard of the Atomium before:

LOL only found out when I checked some Worlds Fairs that my grandfather went to, including Brussels. Never found any pictures but he did bring back a small copy of an (in)famous statue found on a fountain in Brussels. Story is a kid saw a bomb with a burning fuse. Not having anything to cut the fuse he did the only thing he could and took a leak on it.. Yeah the statue takes a leak in the fountain. Gotta be in the folks house somewhere.....

Who says you can't learn anything of "culture" on DCP.