DCI video products unavailable

It seems that all video stuff is the problem right now, and they will all remain down until the rights (both past, present and future) issues are worked out.

Two "thinking out loud" thoughts immediately come to mind -

1) electronics (and sampling) have not helped DCI in this regard.

2) If Youtube (a la WGI) is not an option, then DCI might consider granting the corps rights back to their own performances so they can sell them themselves. (This was kind of a sticking point with the G-7, and I believe Jeff Ream has said a not-so-small point in them staying, though.)

Mike

I think you are right especially in the sampling...

In one example...there are many others...Boston's "Rise" show was chopped up on the DVD and they even pulled down the entire season on fannetwork( while that still existed) except for the quarters/semi's etc...this was the precursor to today's dilemma IMO...I like comparing early and late shows many times...so this stuck out to me anyway...

I would love to see all DCI recordings and videos just become individual downloads on iTunes. Maybe the shows that have more expensive rights are more expensive downloads?

There doesn't seem to be an easy answer, but I really hope that we don't lose the right to own recordings of new drum corps.. love the live broadcasts and theater, and while I don't rewatch shows, I relisten to them a great deal.

I used to be this way, too. But in recent years I've come to the conclusion that drum corps shows is a two-sense activity (and maybe three if you like hot dogs): visual and audio. Designers have reinforced the point. I find I get more enjoyment of shows if I take the time to pull it out of its DVD or BluRay box and cue it up.

On point: which is why the demise of the FN and a reliable system of viewing - and rewatching - shows was so important to me.

I find it odd that Bands of America is able to have the streaming vidieo posted of all their events but apparently are not able to produce the DVD's of the same events...

Different copyrights that were purchased or set up.

I would love to see all DCI recordings and videos just become individual downloads on iTunes. Maybe the shows that have more expensive rights are more expensive downloads?

There doesn't seem to be an easy answer, but I really hope that we don't lose the right to own recordings of new drum corps.. love the live broadcasts and theater, and while I don't rewatch shows, I relisten to them a great deal.

I'm exactly like that. Once a season is over, I never watch the show ever again, but I do listen to them a lot. I'm a college student and can't study/work with music that has lyrics so fan network became my MP3 player of DCI music. If archives turn out to be nothing but the recordings (no video), I'll be a happy camper.

• Like 1

I'm a college student and can't study/work with music that has lyrics

In that case you're going to have a hell of a time studying when listening to this season...

• Like 2

I'm exactly like that. Once a season is over, I never watch the show ever again, but I do listen to them a lot. I'm a college student and can't study/work with music that has lyrics so fan network became my MP3 player of DCI music. If archives turn out to be nothing but the recordings (no video), I'll be a happy camper.

I listen to a lot of the music as well..if video went bye bye I could deal with it...but the absence of audio not so much...

In that case you're going to have a hell of a time studying when listening to this season...

Hah. I can tolerate the singing in BAC's show since it's mainly unintelligble. But yeah, I may have to avoid Cavies, Troop, and whatever other corps are using it. I don't mind the occasional narration.

Edited by Cappybara

Hah. I can tolerate the singing in BAC's show since it's mainly unintelligble. But yeah, I may have to avoid Cavies, Troop, and whatever other corps are using it. I don't mind the occasional narration.

To be fair, in troop's case it is more like panting with a melody.

• Like 1

I disagree that the TOS can't restrict such use. Making a contract not to do something that is otherwise legal is enforceable, so long as there is an exchange of consideration. (In this case, money in exchange for access to video streams.)

If DCI got its act together (LOL) and updated its terms of service, it would certainly be in its best interest to prohibit grabbing the streams, simply because DCI clearly doesn't hold the copyright licenses required to distribute archived performances of performances.

I can certainly see some lawyer for a publisher taking DCI to the cleaners because they didn't cover their ###. (Not to say that amending the TOS would actually make people stop -- it just wouldn't be DCI's problem anymore.)

TOS can't restrict things that are expressly legal under fair use. They can certainly write it into the document, but it won't hold up under scrutiny, especially in court. It's been tried many times, and always fails. That's why recording TV shows on your VCR, DVD-R, or DVR are legal despite the cries of impending doom from content providers. They tried to write it into the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, and every attempt to make ripping DVDs and Blue Rays illegal has failed in court. The same law applies to live streams.

• Like 1

I disagree that the TOS can't restrict such use. Making a contract not to do something that is otherwise legal is enforceable, so long as there is an exchange of consideration. (In this case, money in exchange for access to video streams.)

If DCI got its act together (LOL) and updated its terms of service, it would certainly be in its best interest to prohibit grabbing the streams, simply because DCI clearly doesn't hold the copyright licenses required to distribute archived performances of performances.

I can certainly see some lawyer for a publisher taking DCI to the cleaners because they didn't cover their ###. (Not to say that amending the TOS would actually make people stop -- it just wouldn't be DCI's problem anymore.)

I found this...thought it was a bit interesting...

We have attempted to do find specific details and examples of Fair Use of music. The rumors that it is OK to use so many notes or so many bars are just not true. There is little doubt that, other than private in-home listening and playing, Fair Use of music is extremely limited. However, we have been able to find almost no discussion of this area outside of legal books clearly meant for attorneys. We have received several conflicting opinions from teachers and college professors about the Fair Use of music in education, especially involving student film and video projects. We highly recommend that you consult an attorney or rights clearance agency before you use any music under copyright protection for anything other than your own personal use.

Source: Public Domain Information Project

Edited by Liahona