(The 4th of Ju)Lynn, MA

When and where I grew up (Cretaceous Period, in northwest PA), July 4th was THE time for drum corps. Parade in the morning, show in the afternoon. Back to my grandparents place in time for fireworks over Beaty field. That is how we celebrated the 4th.

I marched at Concord and Lexington, thats how old I am.

My Militia uniform itched like heck in the heat... but I played a mean flute in my Drum Corps, and we all scared the Brits into running off the Lexington Common with our sound.

• Like 2

But, oh how the sound was projected, especially on a cool evening.

I agree.

Yes, it was a dump, as the 2muchcoffeeman said....LOL... but so was Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City, NJ... home of The Dream.

But even though both stadiums were not exactly in tip-top shape, to say the least.... they were iconic drum corpse venues.

• Like 1

" Lynn, Lynn, the City of Sin.

You never come out, the way ya went in. "

Anonymous, from the 1800's or so.

Its a gritty, economically struggling, Industrial City ( like lots of old Mfg towns in the US ). But to its credit, the City completely bulldozed the old Manning Bowl there, and completely rebuilt a brand new stadium, with new fields. Its far, far better now than the veritable dump of a stadium that was there for decades.

Just having new bathrooms is a huge improvement. The old bathrooms were disgusting. Believe it or not the Rolling Stones performed there. Or was it the Beatles?
  • Like 1

Judges

• GeVis - Frank Morris
  • GeMus - Mark Waymire
  • VisAn - William Chumley
  • Brass - Wayne Dillon
  • MusAn - Randy Greenwell

Bummer, no drum judge...