(The 4th of Ju)Lynn, MA

Not shocked Cadets won brass! Its the same judge that gave them First over Blue Devils and Crown. He gave Cadets the same score but gave Crown .2 higher this time.

I was a bit surprised. While I did expect cadets to win, they got off to a somewhat slow start and this was most evident in the brass. As the show progressed, they did blow everyone away. Crown did have some fireworks interference (three neighboring communities has fireworks shows) which I'm sure did not interfere with the judges scoring, but did seem to startle the soloist in Albinoni's Adagio (or perhaps I should be precise and say attributed to Albinoni's since this is now contested).

Just home from the Lynn show. Cadets stepped it up quite a bit from Thursday night. My friends and I called it for Cadets before the scores. Crown was very good, but Cadets were just better tonight. They sold the show quite well, Not surprised they won all captions. Battery was very impressive.

But he is making sure he judges this fall

So you are accusing the judge of cheating and not giving his honest placement????

Care to provide some proof when you accuse a judge of something like that.

At both shows being mentioned, the other performance oriented music judge (in the box) also had The Cadets over Crown. At both Allentown and Bowling Green the MA judge had The Cadets 1st as well over Crown.

• Like 2

You can't prove someone had a bias in something as subjective as artistic performance judging. It's just striking that the only two times Crown has lost brass this year was to the same judge that was previously staff with cadets. Not caption head, apparently I remembered that wrong. I'm not accusing him of judging unfairly, but I definitely disagree with his placement. We'll see how the rest of the season shakes out.

Edited by defeldus

You can't prove someone had a bias in something as subjective as artistic performance judging. It's just striking that the only two times Crown has lost brass this year was to the same judge that was previously staff with cadets. Not caption head, apparently I remembered that wrong. I'm not accusing him of judging unfairly, but I definitely disagree with his placement. We'll see how the rest of the season shakes out.

So you're calling for the operation of Mr. Dillon's mind, which makes you clairvoyant.

Ridiculous. He has judged brass multiple times and has ruled that other corps were better than Cadets, so to imply he judges unfairly is a load of crap.

Don't judges know Crown should always win brass because.... Crown?

• Like 4

I literally said I'm not accusing him of judging unfairly, just pointing out the facts and saying I disagree with his placements pretty strongly.

i couldn't have said it better. My first assignment was in Lynn and the city had troubles, but it also had pride. Great people, and even though the Manning Bowl is gone, a.k.a the Toilet Bowl both by drum corps and the four high schools of Lynn: Classical, English, Tech, and St. Mary's, it had great shows and lots of great memories for drum corps fans. But instead of writing anymore, I had best get going to Manning Field!

Agreed!

As a kid we lived across the street from Manning Bowl (Western Ave/Rt 107) and it was great being on our 2nd floor porch watching and listening to all of the Corps! (Mom said as soon as I was old enough to cross the street I could join our local Drum Corps... Heh, as an 5-6 year old I thought ALL of the Drum Corps were across the street! LOL)

Proud " Lynn Tech" grad! (OK so by the time I got out (1972) it was the LVTI, "Lynn Vocational Technical Institute". I also have one sister that graduated from Classical and one from English!

Edited by TennTux

I literally said I'm not accusing him of judging unfairly, just pointing out the facts and saying I disagree with his placements pretty strongly.

You're not saying...you're just saying...

• Like 1

From their former brass caption head (same guy that gave it to them Thurs) :winky:

Yes, Wayne was the caption head for one season, thirteen seasons ago. I'm sure his single season in this position, which occurred while the current members were in kindergarten weighed heavy on his mind as he judged last night.

• Like 3