Phailing Phantom-- How Phar Will They Phall?

I'm a die hard Phantom Phan and former member...This is a product of the wanna be design team. Kinda remains me of the band director who comes in thinking he's hot chit and really is a horrible director. Like in 80 when we had wally the walrus guiding us with our eye's closed in a crossing formation...That didn't end well...wasn't long after that the hair brained idea's and the walrus got canned.

The formula changes every year with whatever sticks on the wall. I guess the powers at be take for granted the amount of money the kids/families fork out for this. When you put an inferior product on the field you get inferior results. We all know the kids will give it their all day in and day out.

Let's get back to the days of loud and proud. Even the design team could see this coming...question is, whose really leading from day ONE?

Playing from this far behind isn't by design. Someone had to believe this was a successful formula and a show that could win. If not, that person needs to go.

Edited by Phantombari1
  • Like 6

I'm a die hard Phantom Phan and former member...This is a product of the wanna be design team. Kinda remains me of the band director who comes in thinking he's hot chit and really is a horrible director. Like in 80 when we had wally the walrus guiding us with our eye's closed in a crossing formation...That didn't end well...wasn't long after that the hair brained idea's and the walrus got canned.

The formula changes every year with whatever sticks on the wall. I guess the powers at be take for granted the amount of money the kids/families fork out for this. When you put an inferior product on the field you get inferior results. We all know the kids will give it their all day in and day out.

Let's get back to the days of loud and proud. Even the design team could see this coming...question is, whose really leading from day ONE?

Playing from this far behind isn't by design. Someone had to believe this was a successful formula and a show that could win. If not, that person needs to go.

Jeesh, for a second there I thought you were talking about DCI-Live and The Fan Network.

Back to the discussion.

• Like 2

I agree with the thread starter, the kids are busting their butts but the design is *poop emoji*

that said, the brass book has been consistent since Don took over and this is the best book out of the percussion designers since the Rennicks left imo.

I can totally see Madison AND Blue Stars over taking them before or during Championships.

I agree with your first two sentences. And, if I'm the director of Phantom, I keep the brass and percussion guys and music writers because I need to keep some consistency. Probably the worst thing for them now is a total makeover of staff and designers.

As for your last sentence, no way I see Madison or Blue Stars passing PR. Blue Stars could come the closest because I do think they will jump back over the Scouts and perhaps be right in the thick of things with BK, Phantom, and Boston. But of those corps I still believe Phantom has the better music book, which to me always translates to better GE. I need to see BK's ending, but up until recently they were running slightly behind Phantom.

When this PR show cleans I think we can make better assessments on changes the corps should make post season. Discussion like this are not always fair because anyone of us can come up with an idea that looks good on paper. Taking that from concept to reality is so hard, so difficult, and it requires so many key components. This is why DCI Titles have not been so evenly spread out among lots of corps. It's really hard. Getting a staff to truly be in sync and to have the infrastructure underneath the staff (money, instruments, facilities, talent, etc.) is a rarity.

• Like 1

Dan Farrell needs to step aside as program coordinator and just run the corps. Bring someone in with some programming experience and allow that person to take the reigns off the design staff and let them modernize.

I don't see that ever happening, but I can hope!

• Like 2

I guess I'm from the old school. But going public with finger pointing, handwringing, spleen splitting, on a current Corps in the early season ( 1st week of July ) on a Corps Show Design, and requesting firings, etc... seems unseemly to me. There is a time and a place for everything. Sometimes , it is actually counterproductive to the aim for future improvement, when alums, fans air out their grievances on their favorite Corps in public like this. I can certainly understand some of the criticism here regarding Phantom, but its this need to go public with it, and with names for the alleged adult " culprits " for it, seems rather surprising to me. The marchers are performing here into just few weeks into their season ,and already some of its alums, fans, are calling for firings and what not. I'm usually a libertine when its comes to speaking one's mind here on DCP. But that does not mean I'm for unfettered unrestraint. Especially when such criticisms at untimely moments such as this can be counterproductive to current performers out giving their all on behalf of both themselves as well as their many alums and fans. Just my 2 cents worth here today on this, anyway.

Best of luck to Phantom Regiment here in 2015.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I think phantom regiment started going down hill after Juilet

See what I did there?

Anyway I'll be blunt and I'm sure I'll enrage quite a few people.

I saw Phantom three times in California this season and am watching the live webcast tonight.

Geez. I am not impressed. Performance is OK, design is... Not. Performance isn't good enough to make up for design flaws (or, phlaws).

In my opinion, this trend has been occuring with PR for the last few years. What's the deal? Have they just become a middle of the pack 6-8 place corps?

I could see them as low as 10th.

Go ahead, chew me out. :-)

I saw Phantom live at Pasadena and Riverside. They aren't as bad as you are making them out to be. Will they contend this year? No. But as one of the biggest BD fan's around, PR has taught me to never ever EVER count them out. Cause when you do, that's when they come outta no where and take it to you. So if you want to count them out and leave them for dead, go ahead. As for me and some my fellow BD fans, i think it's safe to say we learned our lesson. 1996, 2006, 2008. Enough said.

• Like 1

I guess I'm from the old school. But going public with finger pointing, handwringing, spleen splitting, on a current Corps in the early season ( 1st week of July ) on a Corps Show Design, and requesting firings, etc... seems unseemly to me. There is a time and a place for everything. Sometimes , it is actually counterproductive to the aim for future improvement, when alums, fans air out their grievances on their favorite Corps in public like this. I can certainly understand some of the criticism here regarding Phantom, but its this need to go public with it, and with names for the alleged adult " culprits " for it, seems rather surprising to me. The marchers are performing here into just few weeks into their season ,and already some of its alums, fans, are calling for firings and what not. I'm usually a libertine when its comes to speaking one's mind here on DCP. But that does not mean I'm for unfettered unrestraint. Especially when such criticisms at untimely moments such as this can be counterproductive to current performers out giving their all on behalf of both themselves as well as their many alums and fans. Just my 2 cents worth here today on this, anyway.

Best of luck to Phantom Regiment here in 2015.

I agree with what you are saying. However to me none of this is surprising considering that for the last number of years there has been one or two posters who have done nothing but criticize every single move by the organization. One of those posters doesn't seem to be on the forum this season though I find it interesting when new people sign up to DCP and start criticizing the corps as part of their first number of posts.

Edited by Lincoln