Phailing Phantom-- How Phar Will They Phall?

Sutasaurus...there is a big difference in many people's mind between bashing a corps and critiquing the staff of it.

• Like 1

Personal opinion time.

I can understand why some people are really frustrated. From 2003 to 2011, save maybe a show or tow, Phantom placed 4th, 5th, 3rd, 2nd, 4th, 1st, 9th, 6th, 5th. But even 2004, 2009, and 2010, shows with some obvious faults and weaknesses (Guard in 2004, as well as stepping into a place not really associated with Phantom, still a show I like, 2009 the Visual Design, and 2010 the visual cleanliness and guard), still were beautiful in some way, they're still great to listen to, and still up in the top 6 in ways. Every, Phantom was discussed as being beautiful, an amazing hornline, a top tier percussion section, and shows that will be remembered for a long time. Each of those shows had something that really sparkled. The activity got used to that, and it's gone. 2012 is the only show I can think of that still had a little of that magic in there (and no, the hornline sounding really good the back few weeks of the season doesn't count), but the last two and this one have the same problem. They're using themes and music we'd typically associate with Phantom or themes they've already used, and they just have no chance of living up to the original. I think they're trying to capture that old magic in a bottle and it's not working.

Count me into the park of people that are dissapointed with this show. Is it an absolute atrocity that I don't enjoy at all? No. Hornline sounds nice, guard is performing well, and the closer overall is pretty good IMO. But overall, it just seems really shallow. With a show about Paris, I wish they would have stayed away from the cliche's and touristy stuff. Does it provide a good smile on first viewing and are audiences reacting to it pretty well? Yeah. Is being competitive with a VERY good BK corps and an improving Cavaliers corps a horrible thing? No.

But I can understand why people who have marched and who know people who have marched and who are involved with the corps might be dissapointed. Phantom's not one of the most talked about, favorite, everybody loves it corps anymore. Corps like Crown and Bluecoats have started taking over that role in recent years. Those years are gone. They could very well come back again, but they're not here right now. Honestly this is an "if I haven't marched with Phantom or donated large amounts of money or am close" then I don't know what I'm talking about or don't have room kind of thing. I can understand being frustrated that Phantom's not competitive with the top 5 anymore. After years of becoming used to that, I think I can understand that.

Nobody on here is going after the kids, that's fine. That's too far. Do I find some comments about the show being a total train wreck extreme? ABSOLUTELY. Either Phantom needs a big staff overhaul, or more likely, Phantom needs to step into new design territory. Recycling old music in choppier, overly embellished, not as good as the original ways with these recycled shallow themes isn't doing them any favors. That needs to stop NOW. I KNOW Don Hill is a good arranger, this guard staff has talent, Bret Kuhn knows what he is doing (just a lot of good drumlines this year), and I think Jeremy Hunt is an EXCELLENT visual designer. I just think their choice in shows and music is setting them up for disappointment from day one if they want to break into the top 5 again. I have a feeling that's coming from the top, because the staff has obvious talent. The members sure as hell have the talent. They need to do something fresh. Right now they NEED a 2004 - 2005 type show in that it's something we wouldn't typically associate with Phantom, but totally works. Take on some Modern Symphonies, Minimalist Music, SOMETHING new.

I guess what I'm trying to say is...............A LOT of people nowadays like Phantom. But that's not okay. They should LOVE Phantom. That magic's not there anymore in my eyes.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 6

Sutasaurus...there is a big difference in many people's mind between bashing a corps and critiquing the staff of it.

Yes. But it seems to me some are conflating the two and getting in a twist.

Personal opinion time.

I can understand why some people are really frustrated. From 2003 to 2011, save maybe a show or tow, Phantom placed 4th, 5th, 3rd, 2nd, 4th, 1st, 9th, 6th, 5th. But even 2004, 2009, and 2010, shows with some obvious faults and weaknesses (Guard in 2004, as well as stepping into a place not really associated with Phantom, still a show I like, 2009 the Visual Design, and 2010 the visual cleanliness and guard), still were beautiful in some way, they're still great to listen to, and still up in the top 6 in ways. Every, Phantom was discussed as being beautiful, an amazing hornline, a top tier percussion section, and shows that will be remembered for a long time. Each of those shows had something that really sparkled. The activity got used to that, and it's gone. 2012 is the only show I can think of that still had a little of that magic in there (and no, the hornline sounding really good the back few weeks of the season doesn't count), but the last two and this one have the same problem. They're using themes and music we'd typically associate with Phantom or themes they've already used, and they just have no chance of living up to the original. I think they're trying to capture that old magic in a bottle and it's not working.

Count me into the park of people that are dissapointed with this show. Is it an absolute atrocity that I don't enjoy at all? No. Hornline sounds nice, guard is performing well, and the closer overall is pretty good IMO. But overall, it just seems really shallow. With a show about Paris, I wish they would have stayed away from the cliche's and touristy stuff. Does it provide a good smile on first viewing and are audiences reacting to it pretty well? Yeah. Is being competitive with a VERY good BK corps and an improving Cavaliers corps a horrible thing? No.

But I can understand why people who have marched and who know people who have marched and who are involved with the corps might be dissapointed. Phantom's not one of the most talked about, favorite, everybody loves it corps anymore. Corps like Crown and Bluecoats have started taking over that role in recent years. Those years are gone. They could very well come back again, but they're not here right now. Honestly this is an "if I haven't marched with Phantom or donated large amounts of money or am close" then I don't know what I'm talking about or don't have room kind of thing. I can understand being frustrated that Phantom's not competitive with the top 5 anymore. After years of becoming used to that, I think I can understand that.

Nobody on here is going after the kids, that's fine. That's too far. Do I find some comments about the show being a total train wreck extreme? ABSOLUTELY. Either Phantom needs a big staff overhaul, or more likely, Phantom needs to step into new design territory. Recycling old music in choppier, overly embellished, not as good as the original ways with these recycled shallow themes isn't doing them any favors. That needs to stop NOW. I KNOW Don Hill is a good arranger, this guard staff has talent, Bret Kuhn knows what he is doing (just a lot of good drumlines this year), and I think Jeremy Hunt is an EXCELLENT visual designer. I just think their choice in shows and music is setting them up for disappointment from day one if they want to break into the top 5 again. I have a feeling that's coming from the top, because the staff has obvious talent. The members sure as hell have the talent. They need to do something fresh. Right now they NEED a 2004 - 2005 type show in that it's something we wouldn't typically associate with Phantom, but totally works. Take on some Modern Symphonies, Minimalist Music, SOMETHING new.

I guess what I'm trying to say is...............A LOT of people nowadays like Phantom. But that's not okay. They should LOVE Phantom. That magic's not there anymore in my eyes.

Well said, sir.

Yes. But it seems to me some are conflating the two and getting in a twist.

Hockey Dad read some of my pervious posts on this thread. I'm not in a "twist" as you say. I have to agree with DrumManTX. People have not been happy with the last few iterations of the Regiment. While I'm not strongly critical out of respect to the organization, I too believe the design team needs a serious wake up call. We agree on some very basic points, I guess it's how those differences are articulated that might be at the heart of this thread.

• Like 2

This is getting to be a complete drag this year. Not just this thread but so many others.

I'm half way agreeing, I don't think it's the apocalypse that some are making it out to be. Just saying that I can see why people are frustrated, but it's not the end of the world.

I REALLY think it can be as simple as just mixing it up a little in their design and musical choices for Phantom!

I'm half way agreeing, I don't think it's the apocalypse that some are making it out to be. Just saying that I can see why people are frustrated, but it's not the end of the world.

I REALLY think it can be as simple as just mixing it up a little in their design and musical choices for Phantom!

Would you tone down the font? We aren't children here.

Edited by Lincoln