Phailing Phantom-- How Phar Will They Phall?

That doesn't mean that the corps should move away from its identity. The corps makes the identity, not the staff. Phantom should continue trying out classical music (and I say that in the broadest terms possible, as there is a very vast repertoire of music to choose from) because that IS their identity. Don Hill isn't an awful arranger either, it's just that the shows currently being designed aren't giving him much to work with.

Did I say the corps should move away from it's identity???

IMO Don Hill has the goods, he just needs the right music to work with. Phillip Glass and John Adams have TONS of stuff to work with, Bluecoats have shown that kind of music can really work. One composer that I think could really be special for someone like Phantom or Crown, though I know he doesn't let anyone arrange his Band Literature, is Maslanka. Totally fits with a kinda classic vibe that's modern. I could totally hear Phantom using source music like that.

Disclaimer, I'm not saying that the past few shows have been terrible by any means, I mean there's a lot of corps that would want to have those problems. Just think they're a move in a new direction away from reinventing themselves.

Unfortunately, Maslanka doesn't allow people to arrange his music. Heck, he doesn't even sell sheet music to A Child''s Garden of Dreams. He loans it to you so your ensemble can play it.

Interesting that the OP of this ####storm of a thread hasn't been active since 7 July. Just build it and they will come....

• Like 1

Interesting that the OP of this ####storm of a thread hasn't been active since 7 July. Just build it and they will come....

I thought I was only one who noticed this.

• Like 1

I wonder if it's hard to remember all the logins?

CONSPIRACY.

• Like 1

I have no life. Just read through all 33 pages of this 'topic'.

I was not overly enthused by the selection of music, but it has definitely gotten better, mostly from a performance perspective. The problem with shows today is (IMO), the inability to carry a musical thought for more than say, 30 seconds, before the percussion section breaks in to take the momentum away. Now, that may work well for some pieces, but, again IMO, classical music does not come across as well when broken into 30 second segments. THAT may be why the show isn't being received as well as we would like it to be.

IMO, percussion arrangers no longer write to accompany the brass arrangements but to compete with them. when you can't tell the difference between the drum break and what they play with the brass, that's a problem. But that's a whole other topic!

• Like 1

I have no life. Just read through all 33 pages of this 'topic'.

I was not overly enthused by the selection of music, but it has definitely gotten better, mostly from a performance perspective. The problem with shows today is (IMO), the inability to carry a musical thought for more than say, 30 seconds, before the percussion section breaks in to take the momentum away. Now, that may work well for some pieces, but, again IMO, classical music does not come across as well when broken into 30 second segments. THAT may be why the show isn't being received as well as we would like it to be.

IMO, percussion arrangers no longer write to accompany the brass arrangements but to compete with them. when you can't tell the difference between the drum break and what they play with the brass, that's a problem. But that's a whole other topic!

Personally I enjoy not being able to tell whether I'm listening to a percussion break or not (with some exceptions like 2011 Cadets). I find real percussion breaks very jarring (like Crown 2014, 2015) and would rather have something like BD 2015's Kpop drum break.

Phantom has issues. Some of the lower placed corps would love their issues, but they are issues none the less. As far as I can tell, this thread speaks to two discussions:

1) The etiquette of bashing a corps in a effort to get your point across......both here and in the stands - some feel that there should be no restraint and corps should put on their big boys pants and get over it....others think there is a kind of cruelty and calousness to bashing in extreme forms ...and say so here.

2) What's happening with PR? IMO (as I have stated years ago) ....PR was in a position in 2009 to move toward stability and consistency. They had arguably the best percussion designer in DCI in 2008 (I think SCOJO is ....but some would argue that). They came off an historic win and squandered the opportunity by failing to work toward a design atmosphere that allows for and listens to others ideas....and they panicked (IMO). This was their moment that they needed to build a design team but it was not to be. PR has a LOT of people pulling for them today to grab the brass ring, and PR's leadership needs to build their staff and design team.....and keep them! Look at Cadets and CC (not to mention BD).....that is the one common denominator.....consistent staff and designers that are rewarded for their efforts and mostly with the environment of creativity and openess....THAT is the reward that will keep them and put them back in the top 3.

• Like 8

Phantom has issues. Some of the lower placed corps would love their issues, but they are issues none the less. As far as I can tell, this thread speaks to two discussions:

1) The etiquette of bashing a corps in a effort to get your point across......both here and in the stands - some feel that there should be no restraint and corps should put on their big boys pants and get over it....others think there is a kind of cruelty and calousness to bashing in extreme forms ...and say so here.

2) What's happening with PR? IMO (as I have stated years ago) ....PR was in a position in 2009 to move toward stability and consistency. They had arguably the best percussion designer in DCI in 2008 (I think SCOJO is ....but some would argue that). They came off an historic win and squandered the opportunity by failing to work toward a design atmosphere that allows for and listens to others ideas....and they panicked (IMO). This was their moment that they needed to build a design team but it was not to be. PR has a LOT of people pulling for them today to grab the brass ring, and PR's leadership needs to build their staff and design team.....and keep them! Look at Cadets and CC (not to mention BD).....that is the one common denominator.....consistent staff and designers that are rewarded for their efforts and mostly with the environment of creativity and openess....THAT is the reward that will keep them and put them back in the top 3.

Really well said.