Clifton!

Only time I understood Fran's announcement was for the Buccaneers show.

:shutup:

Agreed that stadium sound system was very much inadequate. The speaker by the stands as you enter the stadium seems pointed more to the field than the stands. Maybe it's for coaching kids on the field. Wonder if this can be improved for upcoming Bush show at same spot.

Anyway, Fran can you or others explain the timing of the pre-show "warmup/performance" and your announcement for "Drum Major xxx, Is Your Corps Ready?", followed by the real opening when the judging starts (which I think is also when some of the electronics seems to go from one set of rules to another).

The whole thing to me loses a lot of the drama and excitement as in prior format. And the drum major's chance to interact with the crowd is missed. geeeeeez (I know .. go with the changes!)

Don

Anyway, Fran can you or others explain the timing of the pre-show "warmup/performance" and your announcement for "Drum Major xxx, Is Your Corps Ready?", followed by the real opening when the judging starts (which I think is also when some of the electronics seems to go from one set of rules to another).

The whole thing to me loses a lot of the drama and excitement as in prior format. And the drum major's chance to interact with the crowd is missed. geeeeeez (I know .. go with the changes!)

Long story short.... the corps have some flexibility with the whole "pre-show" openings to shows.

Some corps go with the standard announcement... some ask for a customized version.

Some corps are not doing any pre-show... others are doing one as soon as they step onto the field.

One corps this year actually has pre-recorded some guy doing their opening announcement, for every show. :ninja:

Each corps has a 17-minute time block, from when they enter the field to when they exit. (The definition of "entering and exiting the field"... when that 17-minute clock begins and ends... has been set by the DCA corps.)

Within that 17-minute block, each corps' judged portion is 10-12 minutes. 10 the minimum, 12 the maximum. For the corps using a pre-show, I believe it is up to the drum major of a given corps to cue the timing judge (chief judge) as to when the judged portion of that corps begins.

I hope that helps.

Edited by Fran Haring

Long story short.... the corps have some flexibility with the whole "pre-show" openings to shows.

Some corps go with the standard announcement... some ask for a customized version.

Some corps are not doing any pre-show... others are doing one as soon as they step onto the field.

One corps this year actually has pre-recorded some guy doing their opening announcement, for every show. :ninja:

Each corps has a 17-minute time block, from when they enter the field to when they exit. (The definition of "entering and exiting the field"... when that 17-minute clock begins and ends... has been set by the corps.)

Within that 17-minute block, each corps' judged portion is 10-12 minutes. 10 the minimum, 12 the maximum. For the corps using a pre-show, I believe it is up to the drum major of a given corps to cue the timing judge (chief judge) as to when the judged portion of that corps begins.

I hope that helps.

I think a staff member can cue as well

Geez, with corps budgets being what they are, I can't believe anyone can afford to bring in professional announcer talent. :tounge2:

Just adding to my original post, I want to give a shout-out to the Skyliners Alumni. They were great! I believe I counted 42, or more, brass and a solid drum line, too. Better still, the crowd loved 'em, and as they trooped the stands it was obvious the corps was enjoying it all even more! As Donnie Sollinger would say, "There's something about that Skyliner music."

• Like 3

Just returned after a full evening. Watched competing corps from the track, directly behind drum major. Random thoughts . . .

My predicted order would have been

Buccaneers

Caballeros

Fusion

Cadets2

Sunrisers

Hurricanes

Bushwackers

Thought Bucs would have won by about 2.5-3.0. Stunning guard uniform design. Non-stop corps movement. All captions clicking. Cool music.

Cabs strong brass sound, but weak visual, too tight, too often. Wanted to see a little something added to the new uniform, but not yet. More sequins?

Fusion very solid all around, uniforms need a little more 'pop,' overall too dark. OUTSTANDING color guard. Mature brass technique.

Cadets2 best they've ever been. Thought they would be this close to Fusion, but some sloppy marching, Could surprise by Rochester.

Sun much larger and sophisticated, maybe a little weak in upper brass definition. Great looking uniforms. Healthy corps.

Hurricanes sound stronger than corps size, always good guard. Maybe not enough 'corps' to handle those already above, CV, MB, nor Kidsgrove.

Bushwackers small and likely to place about 12th in Rochester.

Almost full capacity crowd. Well run event, as usual.

Disclaimer: Buccaneer alumni, not a musician.

I agree with some and disagree on other points. First...you gotta love Sky and Cabs alum, they bring what you expect. What I didn't expect was the show the Brassmen put out. They may not look impressive but they sure have some great players and sell arrangements that are perfectly suited to their size and talent...super!

I picked Hawthorne over Bucs by a very slim margin. These two corps are great and pretty much equal. I just thought Cabs were a bit crisper. How many differant tunes does Reading play?

Fusion seems to have filled the void left by Empire. Well trained with a high energy show, great sound and very entertaining!

Cadets2 has alot of cleaning to do if they're going to move up.

Hurricanes are a pleasant surprise....can't listen to winter rumors I guess. Nice show, solid sound for their size. Training is evident but they could use a little more POP in their ending.

Welcome back Sun!!!! Big corps, nice big sound just a tad sloppy...they will be very good by Rochester!

Bush,Waaaay too many holes to make an evaluation.

One final comment on uniforms. Does everyone have to look like Johnny Cash with a hat? When did BLACK become the preferred color? Drum corps is a happy sport with lively music and pagentry.....Black is not a happy color! Reading, Fusion, Hurricanes and Sunrisers....Too much black...wise up!

• Like 4

Geez, with corps budgets being what they are, I can't believe anyone can afford to bring in professional announcer talent. :tounge2:

They can't. That's why they bring me in. :lol:

Totally agree with you about Skyliners Alumni. It was one of the best performances I've heard from them in recent years. Great show!!!

• Like 2

I agree with some and disagree on other points. First...you gotta love Sky and Cabs alum, they bring what you expect. What I didn't expect was the show the Brassmen put out. They may not look impressive but they sure have some great players and sell arrangements that are perfectly suited to their size and talent...super!

I picked Hawthorne over Bucs by a very slim margin. These two corps are great and pretty much equal. I just thought Cabs were a bit crisper. How many differant tunes does Reading play?

Fusion seems to have filled the void left by Empire. Well trained with a high energy show, great sound and very entertaining!

Cadets2 has alot of cleaning to do if they're going to move up.

Hurricanes are a pleasant surprise....can't listen to winter rumors I guess. Nice show, solid sound for their size. Training is evident but they could use a little more POP in their ending.

Welcome back Sun!!!! Big corps, nice big sound just a tad sloppy...they will be very good by Rochester!

Bush,Waaaay too many holes to make an evaluation.

One final comment on uniforms. Does everyone have to look like Johnny Cash with a hat? When did BLACK become the preferred color? Drum corps is a happy sport with lively music and pagentry.....Black is not a happy color! Reading, Fusion, Hurricanes and Sunrisers....Too much black...wise up!

maybe it's just me...but Bucs and Cabs have ALWAYS had a lot of black....including their hats

maybe it's just me...but Bucs and Cabs have ALWAYS had a lot of black....including their hats

Go to YouTube find the '77 Bucs... mostly Black, white and red, only blue are powder blue on hornline shashes and some of the cummerbunds- and blues on DM Unis.

Really never had the blue as a major color until 1979.

The Bucs usually try to offset the black hats with as big a white plume as they can stick on them . I think one year in the early-mid-80's they may well have even put white tape onto the crown of the hat in a couple of spots to make the plume look larger from a distance.

Hmmm ... maybe not blue, but in the mid 60's-mid 70's the Bucs mainly wore white satin blouses with a blue "sparkle" sash ... they switched to blue shakos in 65, which caused all types of comments from fans and alumni ... if I recall correctly, from 57-62, they wore a black vest over powder-blue "puff" sleeved shirts and long blue feather on their black "buccaneer" style hat ... 79 indeed saw the long blue coat introduced, which changed their look drastically ... but, IMO, blue was always a major part of the Buc's identity from a color perspective ...

:-)

Really never had the blue as a major color until 1979.

• Like 1

Hmmm ... maybe not blue, but in the mid 60's-mid 70's the Bucs mainly wore white satin blouses with a blue "sparkle" sash ... they switched to blue shakos in 65, which caused all types of comments from fans and alumni ... if I recall correctly, from 57-62, they wore a black vest over powder-blue "puff" sleeved shirts and long blue feather on their black "buccaneer" style hat ... 79 indeed saw the long blue coat introduced, which changed their look drastically ... but, IMO, blue was always a major part of the Buc's identity from a color perspective ...

:-)

black and blue forever as I can remember