Great article in the Major Twin Cities Newspaper, StarTribune on DCI-M

Marching goes extreme as nation's top drum and bugle corps compete Saturday at TCF Stadium in Minneapolis

Megan Quamme just graduated from the University of Minnesota with a biology degree. But her plans to become a physician's assistant one day are on hold while she spends the summer dancing like a movie star and spinning flags across the football fields of America.

Quamme, 21, performs each night in a different city as part of the color guard for Phantom Regiment, a drum and bugle corps from Rockford, Ill. She'll be among the more than 2,000 musicians and performers who will descend Saturday on TCF Bank Stadium to compete in DCI Minnesota, one of the big stops on Drum Corps International's summer tour, which returns to Minneapolis after a two-year absence. It's one of the nation's largest drum and bugle corps competitions, featuring 10 World Class finalists from the 2014 DCI World Championships plus 10 other corps from the United States and Canada.

Read the rest at the link, and be sure to comment to show the Strib the support of this activity

->

• Like 2

Any one else click on the marketing/sponsorship video at the end of the article? No?

Let me help:

The video is from 2008, has been inaccurate since the ESPN contract ended, and is even more out of date now when it talks about the number of shows each year, and the fans' ability to stream past shows.

"The website voted by fans to be..."

Pfft. Not any more I'll bet.

Nice article, otherwise.

Edited by garfield

Hey,I get that, but in the grand scheme of things a pretty minor issue. Gettting any kind of exposure in large mainstream media, espcially a newspapers as large as the STrib is a huge bonus for this weekend and the activity in general. Thanks

• Like 1

I wrote the article. FWIW, that video is what DCI puts out as its sole explainer about the activity. It's featured prominently on the About page on the DCI website, and it's pinned to the top of its YouTube channel. People who know the activity intimately understand that the video has some out-of-date info. But for the uninitiated -- the overwhelming number of people reading an article like this from a major daily newspaper -- the video still has a wealth of info for those who never knew the activity existed.

• Like 7

I wrote the article. FWIW, that video is what DCI puts out as its sole explainer about the activity. It's featured prominently on the About page on the DCI website, and it's pinned to the top of its YouTube channel. People who know the activity intimately understand that the video has some out-of-date info. But for the uninitiated -- the overwhelming number of people reading an article like this from a major daily newspaper -- the video still has a wealth of info for those who never knew the activity existed.

I get it, I appreciate the article (and said so), and my comments were not directed at you or the paper but, rather, at DCI.

If I'm a potential sponsor who sees that video in all the excitement of this week's show, and I take what it purports as a basis of becoming a sponsor and, only later, find out that there are 104 shows, not "more than 130" stated in the video, or that streaming of legacy shows is not available, or that DCI hasn't been on ESPN for, um, several years...

With the legal headaches of copyright threats hanging over their heads, I can't imagine DCI would be pleased to also be accused of bait-and-switch.

Seriously, somewhere in the last $100million or so generated by DCI in the last decade I would think they could find the funds to update THE marketing video on their site that promotes the activity to the public.

Maybe I expect too much.

• Like 2

The video issue aside, (we know this is DCI's issue) nice article, Randy!

edited for clarity.

Edited by ajlemm

If I'm a potential sponsor who sees that video in all the excitement of this week's show, and I take what it purports as a basis of becoming a sponsor and, only later, find out that there are 104 shows, not "more than 130" stated in the video, or that streaming of legacy shows is not available, or that DCI hasn't been on ESPN for, um, several years...

With the legal headaches of copyright threats hanging over their heads, I can't imagine DCI would be pleased to also be accused of bait-and-switch.

I'm pretty sure that any legitimate sponsor will obtain a little more information, which will no doubt be more up to date, before sending in the beenjamins, as opposed to just writing checks based upon seeing that video. I don't think there's any danger of fraud in the inducement here.

Edited by Eleran

Just found out that this article was one of the top stories and most shared items on the STrib website, yesterday. That's quite the statement for this niche activity.

Thanks again, Randy, for your work on this!