Percussion on the Pearl - DCI Muscatine

Agree on Madison. I have no idea how Stars are beating the Scouts. I just don't see or hear it.

The content column of the recaps should enlighten you.

It's the middle of July. Just being clean isn't going to win shows anymore. How many times do Madison homers/alums have to see this story to understand? Content matters.

Edited by Phan_of_Drumming
  • Like 2

The content column of the recaps should enlighten you.

It's the middle of July. No matter how clean you are, doing a mildly difficult 90's throwback high school-level band show doesn't cut it in DCI this time of year. Sorry.

Blue Stars show this year is the very definition of bando.

I hope you remain a DCP rookie.

Blue Stars show this year is the very definition of bando.

I hope you remain a DCP rookie.

I was too harsh. Sorry. The point remains - Madison's show lacks content compared to the corps around them. Just as they have the last few years, they'll continue to drop in the standings as the season goes on because of that disparity. This shouldn't be a surprise anymore to Madison fans (of which I am one).

It sucks because it's outside of the members' control, but we've reached the point in the season where design is going to start mattering more than execution. Just like Blue Stars won't catch BK or Cavies this year, no matter how well they play their show, Madison won't keep up with Boston, Crossmen, or Stars. If they miss Finals - which wouldn't surprise me - it's 100% on the design team, just like it has been for years.

Edited by Phan_of_Drumming
  • Like 2

A few points on yesterdays show I missed....too busy enjoying everything lol.

I really really liked Crossmen's use of moving the pit back a few yards and letting the corps be closer to the crowd several times. Like the drum lines feature of moving the sound from one side of the stadium to the other (without using amplification.....whaaaat!?!?!)

Madison was cleaner than a week ago for sure, more powerful it seemed. Show was growing on my since it was the 2nd time ive seen it.

Blue Stars show was just ok for me. The crowd agreed as they didn't get nearly the response as Madison. But even so, they seemed flat to me. That first mini company front walking from right to left diagonally seemed flat, off, no power. Maybe it was designed that way...but in Whitewater a week ago, it was louder. Decided not to watch to juggler on purpose to see what else was going on lol. Like I said, i didn't hate it, they just seemed off to me last night.

As for the scores. I saw one poster say Legends/Music City beat Pioneer. Correct me if I'm wrong but Legends/Music city are scored on Open Class sheets, Pioneer is World Class, hence the difference in scores. Not to say, in Quarterfinals, those two corps couldn't beat Pioneer. But I don't think they will, Pioneer was better IMO. You could tell the difference for sure. Even though they are at the bottom of World Class, you could tell they were WC and the other two weren't listening to each show in the stands.

I thought Jersey Surfs score was a bit low. Can't see them 10 points behind the Crossmen. 6 maybe, not 10.

Blue Stars and Madison...meh. I'm a Madison homer, so what's the point. lol.

• Like 1

A few points on yesterdays show I missed....too busy enjoying everything lol.

I really really liked Crossmen's use of moving the pit back a few yards and letting the corps be closer to the crowd several times. Like the drum lines feature of moving the sound from one side of the stadium to the other (without using amplification.....whaaaat!?!?!)

Madison was cleaner than a week ago for sure, more powerful it seemed. Show was growing on my since it was the 2nd time ive seen it.

Blue Stars show was just ok for me. The crowd agreed as they didn't get nearly the response as Madison. But even so, they seemed flat to me. That first mini company front walking from right to left diagonally seemed flat, off, no power. Maybe it was designed that way...but in Whitewater a week ago, it was louder. Decided not to watch to juggler on purpose to see what else was going on lol. Like I said, i didn't hate it, they just seemed off to me last night.

As for the scores. I saw one poster say Legends/Music City beat Pioneer. Correct me if I'm wrong but Legends/Music city are scored on Open Class sheets, Pioneer is World Class, hence the difference in scores. Not to say, in Quarterfinals, those two corps couldn't beat Pioneer. But I don't think they will, Pioneer was better IMO. You could tell the difference for sure. Even though they are at the bottom of World Class, you could tell they were WC and the other two weren't listening to each show in the stands.

I thought Jersey Surfs score was a bit low. Can't see them 10 points behind the Crossmen. 6 maybe, not 10.

Blue Stars and Madison...meh. I'm a Madison homer, so what's the point. lol.

Not any more, Open Class and World Class are on the same sheets now.

And I will say on Blue Stars, they do seem flat in performance energy this year like they did last year and the year before at this point. Same reactions last year as well at this point and time, and after around Atlanta or so they turned up the notch to 11 energy wise and drew a lot of people in. I suggest giving it some time, they give their shows a lot of time to develop and grow, and when they do they really sparkle like they did at finals last year. I don't know how many people I heard concerning 2014 say "I did not like the show during the season, but they really sold me on it during finals week" or similar. And following Madison is gonna make you sound a little less high octane regardless of who you are, they know how to sell it. I suggest giving it some time, whether you see it online or in person later on, and watch it again.

Might be the same reaction, that's totally fine, not gonna try to convince you otherwise, just a suggestion as to that's what seems to happen in recent years. Was surprised to see that spread over Madison as well, but we'll see. Based on what I've seen they're starting to layer/change things to give the show more cohesion.

• Like 1

I was too harsh. Sorry. The point remains - Madison's show lacks content compared to the corps around them. Just as they have the last few years, they'll continue to drop in the standings as the season goes on because of that disparity. This shouldn't be a surprise anymore to Madison fans (of which I am one).

It sucks because it's outside of the members' control, but we've reached the point in the season where design is going to start mattering more than execution. Just like Blue Stars won't catch BK or Cavies this year, no matter how well they play their show, Madison won't keep up with Boston, Crossmen, or Stars. If they miss Finals - which wouldn't surprise me - it's 100% on the design team, just like it has been for years.

I have a real problem with this.

What I mean is, because a show "Lacks content" it's scored lower than a show that has content, even though the latter is clearly cleaner the the show with content.

Now...I can see if a top 8 corps, that lacks content, beats a 12 thru 18 corps even though they have more content...cleaner wins here. Talent wins here. Roger that.

What I can't see is two corps that are close, Madison and Blue Stars, giving the show with more content the nod just because they are attempting it. Madison doesn't have a Juggler, or a contortionist or large stage props etc, so because of those things the Blue Stars are gonna get scored higher just because they are attempting it?

How do judges score a contortionist? or a Juggler? What/who else can they compare them to? Are the Judges experts in either field?? They are just getting points for attempting it? I get they go with the theme of the show...I also get VK and the Bridgeman used to do similar things, I just think talent wise, those two were better than the Blue Stars this year. If the Blue Stars had top 6 talent, I think you could pull a show off like this, but without it....it's all just gimmicks to me to gain more points.

Lets put it this way, The Blue Devils do similar things as the Blue Stars do...Gimmicks to gain points. The difference is, the Blue Devils have the talent to pull it off.

Do i think Madison should be killing the Blue Stars? No...But I think Madison is better talent wise. and talent should be rewarded, not shunned because they don't have enough Gimmicks. Madison clearly had the better show last night. I felt they were about 1.5 ahead of the Blue Stars, they should have scored closer to the Crossmen.

• Like 2

Not any more, Open Class and World Class are on the same sheets now.

Well...Ok then. :cool: Wonder why they put them in different classes then? What's the point at a small show such as this one? I can see it during championship week.

• Like 1

I have a real problem with this.

What I mean is, because a show "Lacks content" it's scored lower than a show that has content, even though the latter is clearly cleaner the the show with content.

Now...I can see if a top 8 corps, that lacks content, beats a 12 thru 18 corps even though they have more content...cleaner wins here. Talent wins here. Roger that.

What I can't see is two corps that are close, Madison and Blue Stars, giving the show with more content the nod just because they are attempting it. Madison doesn't have a Juggler, or a contortionist or large stage props etc, so because of those things the Blue Stars are gonna get scored higher just because they are attempting it?

How do judges score a contortionist? or a Juggler? What/who else can they compare them to? Are the Judges experts in either field?? They are just getting points for attempting it? I get they go with the theme of the show...I also get VK and the Bridgeman used to do similar things, I just think talent wise, those two were better than the Blue Stars this year. If the Blue Stars had top 6 talent, I think you could pull a show off like this, but without it....it's all just gimmicks to me to gain more points.

Lets put it this way, The Blue Devils do similar things as the Blue Stars do...Gimmicks to gain points. The difference is, the Blue Devils have the talent to pull it off.

Do i think Madison should be killing the Blue Stars? No...But I think Madison is better talent wise. and talent should be rewarded, not shunned because they don't have enough Gimmicks. Madison clearly had the better show last night. I felt they were about 1.5 ahead of the Blue Stars, they should have scored closer to the Crossmen.

That's why there will never be a perfect system.

• Like 2

And I will say on Blue Stars, they do seem flat in performance energy this year like they did last year and the year before at this point. Same reactions last year as well at this point and time, and after around Atlanta or so they turned up the notch to 11 energy wise and drew a lot of people in. I suggest giving it some time, they give their shows a lot of time to develop and grow, and when they do they really sparkle like they did at finals last year. I don't know how many people I heard concerning 2014 say "I did not like the show during the season, but they really sold me on it during finals week" or similar. And following Madison is gonna make you sound a little less high octane regardless of who you are, they know how to sell it. I suggest giving it some time, whether you see it online or in person later on, and watch it again.

Might be the same reaction, that's totally fine, not gonna try to convince you otherwise, just a suggestion as to that's what seems to happen in recent years. Was surprised to see that spread over Madison as well, but we'll see. Based on what I've seen they're starting to layer/change things to give the show more cohesion.

I get all that...and remember that from last year...people saying the same things.

All I know is...I was at the show last night. I've marched, albeit years ago. Madison was better last night. Blue Stars were flat. Scores were out to lunch for me.

• Like 1