Percussion on the Pearl - DCI Muscatine

Well...Ok then. :cool: Wonder why they put them in different classes then? What's the point at a small show such as this one? I can see it during championship week.

Two years ago, at the July 12, 2013 Dubuque show, Pioneer got 62.90 on the World Class sheets while Legends got 71.60 on the Open Class sheets. But when they got to World Class Prelims in August where all the corps are judged on the same sheets, Pioneer had climbed to 69.05 while Legends "dropped" to 68.40.

Similarly, the Open Class champion that year, Vanguard Cadets, went from 96.15 at O.C. Finals to 78.20 at W.C. Prelims two days later.

Last year, the Open Class directors decided they'd rather be judged all season on the same scale as the World Class corps, even though it would mean lower scores. It does give a better read of where they stack up all year. Maybe some of the directors are contemplating moving their corps to World Class, and this helps them assess their strengths and weaknesses?

As for why divide the placements into classes at all, I'd say that, for instance, Legends' director fares better with his members, their parents, and his financial supporters when he can say that they placed first or second at every show so far, rather than fourth or lower.

Also, Open Class shows are allowed to be shorter than World Class shows.

• Like 1

Agree on Madison. I have no idea how Stars are beating the Scouts. I just don't see or hear it.

And there are those that are just as incredulous that the spread isn't greater. ..............................eye of the beholder and all that I guess. I have ties to both and hope that both are successful and achieve their goals. As for me, I'm not particularly enamored with either show this year but love both organizations and laud their efforts

More "power" from a hornline doesn't necessarily equal a better hornline than a softer one. Some Madison fans seem to be making that mistake. Balance, articulation, tone, etc are all taken into account. Even staging can influence how a hornline sounds to a judge. So while Madison has been placing higher than Blue Stars in brass, it's been by a very small margin. Not only that, the judges have made it clear that the Stars have a harder book, just that they aren't performing it as well as Madison.

• Like 1

More "power" from a hornline doesn't necessarily equal a better hornline than a softer one. Some Madison fans seem to be making that mistake. Balance, articulation, tone, etc are all taken into account. Even staging can influence how a hornline sounds to a judge. So while Madison has been placing higher than Blue Stars in brass, it's been by a very small margin. Not only that, the judges have made it clear that the Stars have a harder book, just that they aren't performing it as well as Madison.

And brass has been flipping back and forth between the 2 just like drums.

Blue Stars show this year is the very definition of bando.

I hope you remain a DCP rookie.

Do we have to do this every year? You weren't calling out Bluestars show as "Bando" when Scouts were beating them earlier were you. You are the definition of a sore loser. I loved Scouts show in La Crosse and again at DCI Minnesota. Great Stuff. My 14 year old son can't get enough of them. He is smart enough to recognize that there is more to a show than what you see on the field, and said to me on the bus back home when scores were announced, "yeah Scouts are awesome but Blue Stars have a better overall product." It's true. They do have a better show top to bottom. I know your homerism won't let you accept that, but the reality is the Scouts, while putting on a very entertaining show this year, need a design team that can be competitive in DCI, and they currently have one that will keep them fighting to stay in finals. Scouts have MAD talent. Time to bring in some folks that can push that talent to the top.

Do we have to do this every year? You weren't calling out Bluestars show as "Bando" when Scouts were beating them earlier were you. You are the definition of a sore loser. I loved Scouts show in La Crosse and again at DCI Minnesota. Great Stuff. My 14 year old son can't get enough of them. He is smart enough to recognize that there is more to a show than what you see on the field, and said to me on the bus back home when scores were announced, "yeah Scouts are awesome but Blue Stars have a better overall product." It's true. They do have a better show top to bottom. I know your homerism won't let you accept that, but the reality is the Scouts, while putting on a very entertaining show this year, need a design team that can be competitive in DCI, and they currently have one that will keep them fighting to stay in finals. Scouts have MAD talent. Time to bring in some folks that can push that talent to the top.

You were at DCI Minnesota? Cool! Maybe you should write a review ...

Well...Ok then. :cool: Wonder why they put them in different classes then? What's the point at a small show such as this one? I can see it during championship week.

Open class can also choose to perform in fewer shows if they need to (finances for touring).