My scoring tonight:

1. Blue Devils 85.25

2. The Cadets 84.80

3. Bluecoats 83.85

4. SCV 82.90

5. Carolina Crown 82.75

6. Phantom Regiment 77.50

7. Cavaliers 77.10

This sounds about right to me but wouldn't be shocked if Cadets won.

dont they usually do some TOC type performance stuff?

the TOC shows seem to score differently from the regular dci shows. So no matter what happens tonight, San Antonio could be totally different.

Carolina Crown

No duts in the opener, please! it ruins the silence between those brass hits. The black "Abandon All Hope" banner appeared to be cut off at right. And didn't there used to be a bunch of tosses as the members were revealed under the banner? Did they not do that tonight? Clean the prism! The drum break still feels long, which means to me that it's not interesting enough. However, the visuals might help, if the camera showed them. The first hit of the Verdi seemed a touch off. I love their swaying leg drill move in that number. The sit-and-turn routine reminds me of Cavaliers' "Spin Cycle", in a good way. What on earth is this school's red logo? It works pretty well with this show. Crown's brass book is just incredible. The guard is doing all sorts of crazy stuff just before the ballad. One of those tosses took forever to come down. The synthesizer at the start of the ballad seemed slightly off tonight. A tiny error as the flugel soloist began might have been a microphone issue; I couldn't tell. The red scrim section remains wonderful, and that's with the brass clearly having room to grow. As many have said, the transition to the finale seems unmotivated, even as pure concert music, but they do play it great. I see they've changed the ending some, albeit probably not for the last time. Earlier in the season, they emphasized one last moment of musical darkness before resolving more than they did tonight. They should bring back some version of that--ask me about the goblins in Howards End.

the TOC shows seem to score differently from the regular dci shows. So no matter what happens tonight, San Antonio could be totally different.

This was so last year. But with so many remarking on it, I'm wondering if the judges aren't trying to build more consistency.

Santa Clara Vanguard

As with the Blue Devils, this is my first time seeing or hearing this show. I found that it improved as it went. For a while, it seemed like the weakest of the top five, but about two-thirds of the way through, it got really good, so much that I know I need a second viewing soon. As someone else said recently, the Tesla coil pillars move very smoothly, so that you almost never notice it--except for that moment when one of them was late getting to the back. The introduction where the corps moves smoothly and quickly to the pit feels a trifle underdone; something more is needed there, though I'm not sure what. Please cut down on the synth after the first big hit. The series of miked trumpets was a cool effect. The various suggestions of coils and electricity in the drill are quite nice. The theremin is great! But the camera focused far too long on it, depriving me of the big picture. The battery playing on drums held by the guard needs more visual crispness. It was amusing to see people in the building behind watching the field. I could hear someone counting at the end of the "Pure Imagination" bari solo: quieter please. That crazy drill in the block towards the end is just great. Certainly not a show that could place lower than fifth, but as I said at the top, I need another read to even guess as to how high it could go.

Since its back to a 5 man panel this evening, all bets are off. It could be all over the place.