Cavies/Scouts-Time for a change?

It was incremental.

Mike D, who marched at that time, has specifics in a thread he made. My time with the corps was after the change, although Aunt Nell fought it to the end.

Aunt Nell's daughter took care of the gals early on, as she refused. :tounge2:

She was an amazing woman, but she was, shall we say, set in her ways.

I stopped marching after the 72 season, but when I went over by their busses around 1990, she was still there..and she still knew my name right off the bat! I was held together by seemingly a pound of safety pins...I think every part that moved was pinned to another to keep it in place...and it was Aunt Nell who pinned me up week by week.

• Like 2

For those interested in the history of this fine activity, we had an All Female Drum Corps ( before DCI), the Audubon Bon Bons ( Audubon, N.J ) that were so good for a couple of years at their height, that they topped many of the Coed, and All Male Corps at the time. Corps like Cavaliers,( all Male ) Cadets ( All male at the time ), Madison Scouts ( all male ), Hyde Park ( Boston ) Crusaders ( Coed, right from the beginning ), St. Lucy's Cadets ( Coed ), Skokie Vanguard ( Coed ), Kilties ( All Male ), and dozens of other All Male, Coed Corps. They finished 2 tenths out of a National Championship, one year... won Percussion Trophy, and the following year medaled again and this All Female Corps won the National Brass line Award, for best Brass line at that National Championships.... again over many All Male, and Coed Corps they competed against, and in the same Division with them.

Could this happen today ? An All Female Drum Corps win a DCI Title ? Or best Percussion line ? Or best Brass Line ? Probably not. But I also just opined on this thread too that an All Male Corps will never win a DCI Title ever again either, imo.

1957 AL Nationals in Atlantic City...2nd to Holy Name. You could tell the era of a picture by checking out the skirt lengths. :tounge2:

corpsphotos9318.jpg

• Like 3

We're I of marching age, and I don't say this as a smart ###, I would rather spend the summer traveling around with 40 hot chicks then a bunch of sweaty dudes, but that is just me!

Meh... You're being kind of short sighted. Having marched a co-Ed corps and Madison for 4 years, the absence of girls is not really noticed. The fun of cutting loose with a bunch of guys more than makes up for not having girls. In addition, you see plenty of girls on the road from other corps and it is not uncommon for relationships to form. I also road the guard bus at Spirit and at Madison (all 4 years) and even being a heterosexual guy, I can honestly say the bus rides were much more fun at Madison.

• Like 1

There are MANY male & female corps who are consistently behind Cavaliers and Phantom Regiment. I don't think Cavaliers or PR adding females would necessarily help them competitively

There are lots of Coed Corps ahead of the All Male Madison Scouts too. I think if The Cadets went all Male, Madison Scouts might beat The Cadets. But I don't think The Cadets are going back to being All Male.

It wouldn't be the same. Love the tradition of Cavies and Scouts. I hope they never change.

Placement wise, they may not... so you might get your wish here too, imo.

Oh look, this again...

Cavaliers I believe (I can't speak to Madison) are registered as a Fraternal Organization. Just like any other "boys club" there is.

No, we do not want girls in the Corps. Not because we don't think they can hack it (just look at all the other corps that have won championships), but because we are a brotherhood. There is a difference in a coed group and a Brotherhood. Through everything in life we know our Brothers will always be there for us and that is a special, shared relationship throughout all of our lives.

The issue of females never came up. Have you been to The Cavaliers truck after a show? Never a problem.

Also The Cavaliers are the only TRUE all-male drum corps, Madison has had two females march with them in the past :-).

(That last sentence was a loving jab)

(just look at all the other corps that have won championships) You mean, "just look at the other co-ed corps that have constantly kicked your ### over the last several years". There is no argument for an all male corps other than tradition, and newsflash tradition does not translate into winning the gold.

Edited by BozzlyB

There is no argument for an all male corps other than tradition, and newsflash tradition does not translate into winning the gold.

-there are multiple arguments for an all male corps, you just seem to discount them. read through the 11 pages of this and you'll find plenty. But here's a better argument than any that is going to come from the internet, it comes from the field: every year there are 300 performers, each one probably good enough to win a spot in almost any top corps they chose, who decide that they want to march in an all male corps. it's kind of a DCP pretention to think we can rhetoric the subject into correctness or not, but the proof of concept for an all-male corps is in the marching and playing pudding.

-Plus the Cavaliers have won 5 of the last 15 championships and have never placed lower than 8th . Madison hasn't contended in a while, but how many times have their shows been among the crowd favorites? when did the window of 'success' become so small?