Injuries midseason and how corps deal with them

I'm curious how most corps handle injuries during the season, and I'm also wondering if injuries are pervasive in certain corps but not others due to better training regimens.

I've heard of kids getting sent home because they have a certain overuse injury (stress fracture, feet problems, other things like this). While in the case of a stress fracture, they're likely not going to heal in time to compete, some of the other injuries seem like a few days rest would do them good. It's made me wonder about overtraining, as is seen in elite athletes and whether the lack of down time is harming corps rather than helping. I've not seen the threshold for injuries causing a MM to be sent home articulated anywhere, but perhaps it is for some corps. I don't know if certain corps have different schedules than other corps that allows more down time or not, and whether that helps/hinders in any way. I will say I've heard rumors that a top 5 corps had more downtime because the members were just better to begin with and fewer hours (relatively speaking of course) were needed to clean the show. I don't know if it's true or not.

Anyone have knowledge of or experience with this? Thoughts?

On a similar note, I'm curious if most World Class corps still have alternates? If so, which corps and how many typically?

I've been wondering about this as well. Not just for the summer, but also or WGI groups as well -- specifically percussion as I'm a percussionist.

While it is certainly not true for every MM these days, it could be said that many who march in today's drum corps come from a far more sedentary lifestyle thus opening them up to the possibility of being more easily injured. I don't know if the injuries happening are because of the actual physical work load or becuase of a lack of proper training, stretch, and care. I mentioned this in another post and will state it again here, how a corps staff manages their members on a day to day bases in terms of training, rest, and proper stretch and physical maintenance will go a long way. I don't think every corps out there places enough value or time into this thus we see more and more injuries.

On a similar note, I'm curious if most World Class corps still have alternates? If so, which corps and how many typically?

I know that as of 2014, SCV kept alternates around, around 2 for trumpets.

I believe Boston has a staff MD who is on tour with them all summer. For real. Along with a couple of physical trainers too. So for them, there is alot of attention paid to the physical health of the MM's. With the physical demands on MM's throughout World and Open class corps, I would hope there is a significant focus on physical preparation. What corps do to that end I don't know. With all the knowledge about nutrition, proper rest and overall care of one's body while on tour. Corps should be planning into their day, the appropriate attention this would need. And after all the physical stuff for performing a show, the conditions factor into it as well. These kids are at altitude, sea level, cold, heat (lots of heat), wet, arid, on a bus, off the bus, on a gym floor. What is done in todays shows is far more rigorous that what I went through BITD and when I taught for several years after.

When I was in corps we just put the injured members down and buried them in the end zone at whatever field we were at

150 people for 3 months, something will happen to someone, it's just the numbers

• Like 1

Bluecoats have one alternate for every 8 members/instrument in their hornline. So they have 24 trumpets, 3 trumpet alternates, etc.

Bluecoats have one alternate for every 8 members/instrument in their hornline. So they have 24 trumpets, 3 trumpet alternates, etc.

You mean to tell me they have 10 alternates on tour for the hornline? Wow... I could understand hanging around if I was one of three or so... but at that point, it seems better to just get the experience somewhere else.

• Like 1

Back in the day I attempted to march with a ruptured disc in my back causing nerve damage and muscle atrophy, and I was able to bluff my way onto the field without anyone trying to stop me. Finally I couldn't take it anymore and took myself out. 27 years later I have lingering problems in my back and my right calf is visibly smaller than my left.

I doubt that would happen today, as hopefully someone would intervene to stop a kid from pushing beyond what was medically advisable.