If I remember right, their Achievement scores have been the killer so far. Their substance scores have been around top 3 I think. So getting that achievement score up, which will naturally happen the further we get in the season, means they'll be right in the mix towards the end of the year. Judges like their program, they just aren't performing at that top level.

Correct. They lost achv tonight by 0.5 to Crown who was in first but we're actually ahead of Crown by 0.1 in substance. BD was ahead of cadets by 0.1 substance, so 0.6 ahead of Crown in substance. Crown needs to add or change. Cadets need to clean, possibly hose. BD just needs to clean.

Well guys take this with a grain of salt as anything can happy in the crazy world of drum corps but here is how I think finals will play out. Either Cadets will take it all or Bloo will. Cadets are really really good and I wouldn't mind them winning at all with a show like this. SO much better than last year. There is also a pretty good chance that Bloo will win just because there's so much they can do with that show. I think Cadets will mostly clean until the end of the season and Bloo, in addition to cleaning like crazy, will add some pretty big GE moments. BD is definitely in the race of course but I just feel like they don't have as much room to grow. Who knows though.

I wouldn't be too sure about Cadets not having the same potential as a Bloo to add massive GE moments...

• Like 1

I know the judges are more qualified than I am, but I have two things.

1) Do Bluecoats not get credit for their use of electronics in MA? I can't imagine the phasing issues they have to face and they do an amazing job of it. I guess I'm just surprised they aren't doing better in that caption.

2) The Cadets have a challenging brass book, that's for sure. SO many notes. However, I feel like they're getting some credit that they shouldn't be at this point. I could see them winning high brass once they nail all of this, but I feel like they're just not as clean as most of the top brass lines, while getting credit for things that aren't as polished.

Just my $.02, I'm curious to other's opinions on these two points.

How the sheets get weighted can sometimes be a mystery. I'd say Bluecoats electronics are likely judged more as part of General Effect Music, but not so much in music analysis, content, or performance, which would likely be reserved for brass, percussion, pit. But I'm probably wrong on that one.

As for Cadets, the 2 times I saw them live I felt their brass used more dynamics and a better sense of phrasing than most. So the meat in their book, which is pretty intense, is not nearly clean yet, but the content is top-notch and the performance levels are already really good. If they nail that show they will be tough to beat. But your point is valid. There are 4 brass lines capable of winning high brass (Crown, BD, Bloo, Cadets). All have amazing lines. It will be a matter of performance.

• Like 1

Well guys take this with a grain of salt as anything can happy in the crazy world of drum corps but here is how I think finals will play out. Either Cadets will take it all or Bloo will. Cadets are really really good and I wouldn't mind them winning at all with a show like this. SO much better than last year. There is also a pretty good chance that Bloo will win just because there's so much they can do with that show. I think Cadets will mostly clean until the end of the season and Bloo, in addition to cleaning like crazy, will add some pretty big GE moments. BD is definitely in the race of course but I just feel like they don't have as much room to grow. Who knows though.

According to judges tonight BD has more room to grow than Coats. Their content, comp, substance scores are all higher. However off paper I get what you are saying. Maybe tomorrow will give us some clarity

Eh that bronze is still very much up for grabs. Still got 3 weeks with changes and cleaning still to come from all corps so Bluecoats could very well slip out of that spot. I'll give you the gold and silver but that bronze won't be set until maybe going into that final week (hopefully not at all though).

It's possible. GE gap between Coats and Crown has widened over the last couple shows. If Crown can reverse that trend they have a shot.

I think so too.h

how's that? there's nothing they can do with their show but hope they don't drop any lower.

how's that? there's nothing they can do with their show but hope they don't drop any lower.

Phantom always surges very late. Plus they don't have their new closer in yet.

Pretty significant move to separate by BD and Cadets. Bluecoats right there too. Yeah, I know, still a lot of shows left, but if the San Antonio scores resemble tonight's at all its a three horse race at the most.

Yes, there is never a " 5 Corps" race any season now. It is quickly winnowed down from 25 to 5 Corps in the opening week of the season, then by the 1st regional it is winnowed down to 2, 3. SCV has not medaled in a decade, so they are out as a title contender for this season again, imo. Crown hasn't been a title contender for 2 seasons,and so they appear out now to me. It appears that its been narrowed down to Cadets, BD, Bluecoats now. Bluecoats have never won a DCI Title, but they are within striking distance this season with just 3 weeks out. I 'd say its a 2 Corps horse race now between BD and Cadets... with Bluecoats the dark horse, and with an outside chance still right now of winning their first DCI Title.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Deja Vu. Cadets, SCV, BD and Crown drum scores almost identical to those at the DeKalb show last Sunday.

How the sheets get weighted can sometimes be a mystery. I'd say Bluecoats electronics are likely judged more as part of General Effect Music, but not so much in music analysis, content, or performance, which would likely be reserved for brass, percussion, pit. But I'm probably wrong on that one.

As for Cadets, the 2 times I saw them live I felt their brass used more dynamics and a better sense of phrasing than most. So the meat in their book, which is pretty intense, is not nearly clean yet, but the content is top-notch and the performance levels are already really good. If they nail that show they will be tough to beat. But your point is valid. There are 4 brass lines capable of winning high brass (Crown, BD, Bloo, Cadets). All have amazing lines. It will be a matter of performance.

As much as Coats are great this year, they are not quite yet in the brass hunt. Too much of their effect lies in the use, albeit very creative, of the small groups, andthey don't have the same amount of tutti demand that the other 3 do. The other three have also each won brass at shows and unless Bloo all of a sudden jumps them all at show, it's very unlikely. The only possibility is if the corps proper makes a spot move up to 2nd and they go on later in the night at a major show, which could help number wise. While they are great, I think it's clearly a 3 horse race for brass right now and I just don't see them jumping all of a sudden midway through the season. That would be a huge call by the judging community. Edited by trumpetcam