While I enjoy SCV, Crown this season, their GE ( Show Design ) scores took them out of the title hunt almost from the start.

BD, Cadets ... and possibly Bluecosts have the Show Design this season to win it all, and thats reflected in the consistent scoring in these GE captions across the board, and across the entire DCI judging community, and on any given nite, and with any set of judges. The performance captions with these 5 Corps change a bit from nite to nite. But Cadets and BD have been very consistently, 1,2 in these important GE captions almost from the very first week of the season. This is very telling, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

As much as Coats are great this year, they are not quite yet in the brass hunt. Too much of their effect lies in the use, albeit very creative, of the small groups, andthey don't have the same amount of tutti demand that the other 3 do. The other three have also each won brass at shows and unless Bloo all of a sudden jumps them all at show, it's very unlikely. The only possibility is if the corps proper makes a spot move up to 2nd and they go on later in the night at a major show, which could help number wise. While they are great, I think it's clearly a 3 horse race for brass right now and I just don't see them jumping all of a sudden midway through the season. That would be a huge call by the judging community.

Although, on the flip side, one could argue that those small ensembles present a ton of high-risk exposure. I'm thinking in particular of th small ensemble live looping. Have a performer flub that, and you have to live with that mistake over and over for the next 30-45 seconds. Not saying either of us are right or wrong, but there's really no one kind of demand.

Deja Vu. Cadets, SCV, BD and Crown drum scores almost identical to those at the DeKalb show last Sunday.

Phantom and Cavies too. Of the six, three are exactly the same, one is up .2 and two are down .2 from last Sunday.

Phantom and Cavies too. Of the six, three are exactly the same, one is up .2 and two are down .2 from last Sunday.

There is only slight differences observed nite to nite among the top 5 Corps this season... tenths either way might change the placements, marginally.

Its when we get to Corps in the 7th to 15th range, that the Judges seem all over the lot with one another on evaluating these Corps, and there is much, much disagreement right now among the DCI Judging Community with these Corps.

The drums scores have been trading around quite a bit and I believe that the top 4 lines have all beaten each other at some point. The scores had been trending upward so I found it statistically interesting that scores were pretty much identical to scores from a week ago.

While I enjoy SCV, Crown this season, their GE ( Show Design ) scores took them out of the title hunt almost from the start.

BD, Cadets ... and possibly Bluecosts have the Show Design this season to win it all, and thats reflected in the consistent scoring in these GE captions across the board, and across the entire DCI judging community, and on any given nite, and with any set of judges. The performance captions with these 5 Corps change a bit from nite to nite. But Cadets and BD have been very consistently, 1,2 in these important GE captions almost from the very first week of the season. This is very telling, imo.

Assuming your hunch is correct, which, so far this season, I would agree with you. That said, which of the following 3 of the top 5 corps have the biggest upside to tweak their show to gain some GE?: Crown, Bluecoats, SCV? My guess is it's in that order.

Of the 3, I think Bloo has the hardest challenge to improve GE based on their show "theme", while Crown has the biggest upside potential to improve GE. However, Bloo faces the biggest reward if they can address the GE portion of the sheets..

Since GE is a weighted caption, the corps that can quickly get their show in order has the best chance to move up further.

On another note, I don't think we're going to see the same gap between Bloo and Cadets tomorrow. Bluecoats are on 2nd to last tomorrow. The old "numbers management" and placement order will come into play tomorrow. Those factors will most likely influence scoring but I'd like to believe the judges will get it right - even if it takes them all year for them to do it.

It is a fair placement idea though. Gives other corps a chance to really be seen. I really loved watching Slue Stars come on last. I love their show.

Assuming your hunch is correct, which, so far this season, I would agree with you. That said, which of the following 3 of the top 5 corps have the biggest upside to tweak their show to gain some GE?: Crown, Bluecoats, SCV? My guess is it's in that order.

Of the 3, I think Bloo has the hardest challenge to improve GE based on their show "theme", while Crown has the biggest upside potential to improve GE. However, Bloo faces the biggest reward if they can address the GE portion of the sheets..

Since GE is a weighted caption, the corps that can quickly get their show in order has the best chance to move up further.

While true, the problem SCV and Crown has is that to win it all, they would have to leapfrog, not 1, 2, Corps... but 3 or 4 Corps in the last 3 weeks of the season. Its their GE scores that look ominous for them to accomplish this, imo.

Lets look at it another way....., in order for Bluecoats, Crown, SCV to have any shot to win it all this season, they really have to place at least 2nd today in San Antonio. You can't be sitting in 3rd, 4th after today's regional. Otherwise, you are then looking for a Miracle to leapfrog over 2, 3 other Corps after San Antonio to win it all in 3 weeks time at Indy. And as for SCV, when was the last time they topped BD, in any show ? So they clearly seem out of contention now to me, unless they finish 2nd here in San Antonio.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2