I just don't see it. I think Cavies have a better show. If the guard can improve their performance I think they will start to pull farther away from Phantom.

If Cavies had the guard they had last year I think they would be very close to BK.

Both Phantom and Cavies are equally bland honestly. I really think both of their shows are at the same level. Anyways, the recaps showed that Phantom has more room to grow. Not only that, Phantom has yet to put their final closer in. They also have a tendency to surge around Allentown. All I'm saying is, if Phantom stays within 1 of Cavies by Allentown, the boys in the Cavaliers are going to have a bad time.

While true, the problem SCV and Crown has is that to win it all, they would have to leapfrog, not 1, 2, Corps... but 3 or 4 Corps in the last 3 weeks of the season. Its their GE scores that look ominous for them to accomplish this, imo.

Lets look at it another way....., in order for Bluecoats, Crown, SCV to have any shot to win it all this season, they really have to place at least 2nd today in San Antonio. You can't be sitting in 3rd, 4th after today's regional. Otherwise, you are then looking for a Miracle to leapfrog over 2, 3 other Corps after San Antonio to win it all in 3 weeks time at Indy. And as for SCV, when was the last time they topped BD, in any show ? So they clearly seem out of contention now to me, unless they finish 2nd here in San Antonio.

Crown and SCV have no shot to win it. SCV was out of contention weeks ago in my opinion. Crown hung in there, but they don't have an '08 Phantom type of show to make a huge jump late. Both corps have at least two areas on the sheets that leave them with around one point, or worse, deficit relative to the leaders every show. With SCV it's brass and color guard and for Crown its percussion and GE. Neither corps has enough in the other captions to mitigate that.

Lets look at it another way....., in order for Bluecoats, Crown, SCV to have any shot to win it all this season, they really have to place at least 2nd today in San Antonio. You can't be sitting in 3rd, 4th after today's regional.

It depends on the spread. Anything more than a .5 spread between 3rd place and 2nd place tonight means big trouble. But if the spread is smaller (and I don't think anyone would really be all that surprised if it is), then whoever finishes in 3rd could still very much be in the hunt with a few weeks to go. (I'm speaking primarily about the Bluecoats of the corps you listed. I too think that Crown and SCV have simply too large a mountain to climb here.)

....and to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Bluecoats finished 2nd tonight, in which case I definitely think we have a 3-team race to the finish. A tiny sliver of me believes they could even finish 1st tonight. If that happens, look out!

Edited by seen-it-all

Crown and SCV have no shot to win it. SCV was out of contention weeks ago in my opinion. Crown hung in there, but they don't have an '08 Phantom type of show to make a huge jump late. Both corps have at least two areas on the sheets that leave them with around one point, or worse, deficit relative to the leaders every show. With SCV it's brass and color guard and for Crown its percussion and GE. Neither corps has enough in the other captions to mitigate that.

Pretty much this.

Cadets and BD are pretty even odds to win. Bluecoats have a puncher's chance, but from there down I think it's pretty moot.

One of the biggest criteria for score growth right before finals is the humanity that resonates from the show theme.

What part of Cadets' show moves you, personally? What part of the theme of their show hits you on a gut level? What do you take away from the theme of the power of ten? What about Shostakovich's music in this interpretation moves you, personally? What part of the theme of the power of ten illuminates something about the way we live, or builds meaning around our quest to understand truth, beauty, justice, history or irony?

What moves me personally in a show is a beautiful musical moment in a ballad, a huge brass sound that smashes me in my face, a moment where the guard catches their rifles and you can hear one sound, a cleanly-executed quick drill, colorful flags in perfect synchronicity, crisp percussion and a visual show that matches the musical show in intensity and beauty. That's what brings emotion to me whether there is a theme/story to the show or not.

• Like 4

It depends on the spread. Anything more than a .5 spread between 3rd place and 2nd place tonight means big trouble. But if the spread is smaller (and I don't think anyone would really be all that surprised if it is), then whoever finishes in 3rd could still very much be in the hunt with a few weeks to go. (I'm speaking primarily about the Bluecoats of the corps you listed. I too think that Crown and SCV have simply too large a mountain to climb here.)

....and to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Bluecoats finished 2nd tonight, in which case I definitely think we have a 3-team race to the finish. A tiny sliver of me believes they could even finish 1st tonight. If that happens, look out!

I could maybe see Coats making a gradual move, but I'd be mildly shocked if they pulled 2nd place tonight. They were no better than third in every caption and had a fair amount of 4 and 5 placements. Tough to make up in one night, if at all.

I could maybe see Coats making a gradual move, but I'd be mildly shocked if they pulled 2nd place tonight. They were no better than third in every caption and had a fair amount of 4 and 5 placements. Tough to make up in one night, if at all.

Agreed, I'm just saying I wouldn't be TOO surprised. They certainly have a terrific show and corps. :cool:

Crown hung in there, but they don't have an '08 Phantom type of show to make a huge jump late.

Sheer odds make your statement likelier than not, but I wonder: were people saying basically the same thing about Phantom at this point in 2008?

What moves me personally in a show is a beautiful musical moment in a ballad, a huge brass sound that smashes me in my face, a moment where the guard catches their rifles and you can hear one sound, a cleanly-executed quick drill, colorful flags in perfect synchronicity, crisp percussion and a visual show that matches the musical show in intensity and beauty. That's what brings emotion to me whether there is a theme/story to the show or not.

No matter how high the concept, all comes back to bangin', tootin' and twirlin'

No matter how high the concept, all comes back to bangin', tootin' and twirlin'

He said bangin! 😱