Bygone Open Class & Div II/III Corps

Emerald Knights/NIte Express - Pretty much from 1965-1996, 2001

We are having a 50yr Anniversary Reunion this weekend and Alumni Corps at Open Class Tournament of Drums on Monday.

Others I can remember:

Northern Aurora

North Force

Railmen

Capitolaires

Black Gold

off the top of my head

I think this is still correct. $0 is the amount paid to corps participating in an OC show. Fees are paid for OC corps participating in WC shows.

You want more OC corps at more OC shows, you need to come up with some way to help offset those costs. This is the reason there were only 3 competing corps in NH.

Maybe someone in a current Open Class corps could add to the conversation about Open Class show profit sharing or performance fees.

My experience is:
...In 2007, my corps sponsored an exclusively Open Class show. There was no profit sharing structure, but then no one else shared in show's loss.

...In 2014, I ask about my corps attending an Open Class show. I was told okay, but that there would be $0 fees paid. Maybe it's different for those corps in Open Class that participate in a show?

• Like 1

I then started thinking of all the Div II/III corps I once remember seeing scores for that I no longer see. . . .

Feel free to update on other corps too!

Coastal Surge.

Royal Grenadiers / Peoria Prarie Fire '85. I was with Prairie Fire when we met the same end as Coastal Surge just before tour started. That was the end for me. At least I get to watch two of my kids participate with Genesis!

I think the distinction between OC and WC stopped being meaningful awhile ago at least from a competitive perspective. Sad that DCI won't allow any more corps to transition to WC. Some of the stronger OC programs have trouble with sponsorships, attracting talent because they are "stuck" in OC.

Sad that DCI won't allow any more corps to transition to WC.

As long as an Open Class corps passes a second evaluation, I believe DCI will indeed allow it to move to World Class. It was only three years ago that Oregon Crusaders made that transition, after all. I think Dan Potter, in the course of introducing Western Vanguard, the Sound Sport team from Odessa who performed at San Antonio, said something like, "You may be witnessing the birth of what may in twenty years be the next DCI champion".

There was a bunch of West Coast groups that have come and gone.

Fever in its various iterations

jester

Mystikal

City Sound

Stockton Buccaneers

Velvet Knights

Esperanza

Phoenix

And there was

Memphis Sound/Forte

Capital Sound

Targets

HYPE

Teal Sound

Dutch Boy

Vision Elite

St. John'a

Allegiance Elite

Pride of the Lions

Cadets of NY

AND countless others. That list only goes back to 2005

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if the elimination of DCI’s Division III has had an adverse impact on the smaller corps?

In my own part of the world, when the Cascades won Division III in 2000, and the Oregon Crusaders won Division III in 2004, it gave each corps a boost, both from internal enthusiasm and external interest. Mandarins, Pioneer, and Blue Stars also hold Division III titles.

...Impulse also won DIII...2006.

Lake Erie Regiment

Dimensions

Quest

Pride of Newark

Cincinnati Glory

Marion Cadets

Has anyone listed Bandettes yet? Man, I LOVED them on the II/III circuit...

I aged at out Marion Glory Cadets in 2004 when the corps last competed. I also taught at the camps in 2005. A group of dedicated staff worked there ##### off to get a competitive corps on the field only to be sabotaged by the board of directors so they could maximize the amount of money available to steal from the bingo operation.

I taught at Bandettes in 2006, although they did not compete, they put out a coed parade/standstill corps that could put out an impressive sound. I heard that there were rehearsals the following year, but membership declined to the point that they stopped rehearsing.