BK, who do they beat that's currently over them?

I don't think anyone is being cocky. Heck, only one person in this thread thinks they'll rise above 6th...and that person doesn't even think they'll medal. So, nobody is pronouncing them "world beaters".

Dial back the hyperbole, eh?

I've behaved myself and refrained from setting trashcans on fire and turning over cars. (So far.)

Until I see them live I will not rule out something higher, like 5th or 4th. My head says 6th is their ceiling, but we have seen some interesting things over the years. I remember Bluecoats running the entire 2007 season in 4th place (with their amazing Criminal show). That was a year they beat Blue Devils and Cavaliers, even won high brass at quarterfinals. Yet in the end they finished 7th place. SCV and Crown moved up. I remember Phantom being a top 4 corps most of the year in 1992, then they dropped to 5th, and by Finals week were sitting in 6th. On Finals night however they dropped to 8th and SCV and Crossmen moved up.

• Like 1

I will say 6th, though giving SCV a scare is not out of the question... But Cavies and Phantom are going to come at them and BK has never beaten Cavies, so nothing is certain! My gut says 6th with their highest score ever at finals 93 (1999-92.5)

For BK, I Would say 6th at the highest, 8th at the lowest with 7th most likely. I do not see SCV, Crown, BD, Cadets, or Bloo falling from the top 5. PR at times surges at the end of the season but at other times has a slow decline, so 6th for them or 9th, depending on what happens, would not be a shock. Cavies seems to have strong performers, but not the strongest show.

I still would not rule out an unexpected good placement for Madison who is not as weak as some have claimed, BAC who is still showing the potential to surge, Crossmen who at one show appears to be plateauing and then comes on stronger, and Blue Stars who seemed to decline last night, but that may not be an indication of what will happen in August. I'm not sure any will place ahead of BK but things will be interesting.

BK fans are getting awfully cocky. I love BK and they sure as hell have a better show than Phantom this year but all I'm saying is to wait for the corps to get together before you pronounce them world beaters

If being a super BK fan was a crime, I would probably not be found guilty. I don't dislike BK, but they do not come to the Boston area that often, so I do not see them up close and personal, that often. I would like to share a couple of observations mainly from DCP posts over the years.

In the past, BK has been criticized for their shows, music selections, lack of talent, etc. they are often on the list of the corps that will fall out of finals, including as recently as 2014 which prior to this year had been their best season in years. So with success for far this season, and some reasons for hope, are BK fans cocky, or just feeling vindicated?

Edited by Tim K

Cocky and BK fan are two things that aren't related. Excited, maybe a little quick to hope... Yes... I think some of that comes with experience. I've been a fan and worker bee behind the scenes for a long time. I've seen the best of years and the worst. Anyone whose been a fan for extended period knows how hard it is to build consistency and be there year after year. BK has done that and each year there's hope and possibility for more and building towards the upper tier. The staff as currently constructed has a unified vision and team atmosphere from top to bottom- thus with shows and talented instructors vets are staying and flocking to BK. (no BK pun intended, See 2012) the other times BK has risen has also been because of talent retention. 96-2000, 2004-2007, and now 2013-current. Each time they rose to top 6-7 status or potential as this year isn't decided by long shot. But, I think is BKers see styles and content that are potentially going to propel BK into the very top tier (top 3-4) if it's continued. JC Caseras is a great drill writer that BK caught early in his Corps Writing Career. Jay Bocook is delivering masterpiece original music and arranged shows. That's two rock solid elements that are going to take you places if maintained.

Cocky? No.... Hopeful? Yes.... Excited? Hell Yes

Just sometimes excitement and desire for greatness leads to jumping the gun a bit:)

• Like 4

6th is the ceiling, I think, and not a guarantee. But 6th for BK would be fantastic for the group. I believe they haven't seen 6th place since...1999 at Semis?

Well, they beat Phantom by a solid 2.85 last night, so I think the string of not beating the Cavies will fall this weekend. Have only seen them (Cavies, Phantom and BK) online, but I would say, with the productions they all have on the field now, BK is a solid 2+ ahead of that pack.

Anything can happen between now and Indy, but I love seeing BK pushing higher. Kudos to the kids and the staff for a great season so far!

After what I saw with SCV and BK last night (two different shows), and with the holes in the drill, but my eye test tells me BK could have a shot at Vanguard. My guess is BK may have a slightly better brass line. The only thing I worry about with BK, at least in regard to beating members of the top 5, is that their show takes a while to hit that first big GE impact. But I was very impressed. Great to see them doing so well.