little respect and dignity from Academy drumline

Next time you do a drumline battle have some respect for the other corps! You didn't see the scouts running around taking selfies and playing games during your turn. They stood at attention and gave you the floor during your performance. poor form Academy poor form.

• Like 4

ouch.

It's probably an age difference, but it could be corps culture.

either way. not good.

• Like 2

Next time you do a drumline battle have some respect for the other corps! You didn't see the scouts running around taking selfies and playing games during your turn. They stood at attention and gave you the floor during your performance. poor form Academy poor form.

Oh COME ON.. It's a drumline battle. It's supposed to be FUN. When people have rap battles or dance battles, people aren't standing rigid waiting for the other person to make their move.

The Madison Scouts are doing drumline battles wrong. Poor guys. Hopefully they have more fun on tour.

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 9

what are the unwritten rules of 'DLB' for the waiting group ?

I'd say:

-can't make noise

-can't interfere with the opposition while they're playing.

is that it?

I saw a group pull out blankets and pillows and take a nap during their opponents turn, and it got quite a chuckle. that is effectively throwing down the gauntlet, 'if we can be more entertaining while miming than you are playing, we've beaten you.'

you have to go to the root of the competition: are the units performing FOR us, or are they performing AGAINST each other with us as spectator judges?

• Like 2

At DLB on Georgia St in Indy the last 2 years there is a lot of that going on in many of the battles. I think it's a "you ain't so bad" good natured taunting that is part of the fun of the battles. They are very informal and a lot of fun. There was a guy in the drumline from Thailand that won the first year who did a lot of good natured taunting of the other lines while the were playing - it was part of his schtick and was a lot of fun.

I saw a group pull out blankets and pillows and take a nap during their opponents turn, and it got quite a chuckle. that is effectively throwing down the gauntlet, 'if we can be more entertaining while miming than you are playing, we've beaten you.'

That's fantastic. In the meantime, someone might have to look into removing the sticks Scouts' staff shoved up their rears prior to the battle vs Academy.

• Like 4

yeah scouts are not spending days away from the show to perfect drum battle material. But if you have to act like a fool to call out the other drumline than you've lost. I would much rather see a drumline come out and kick butt with skill and precision rather than goofy antics. If you want to take selfies during your performance fine it's dumb but fine but you should have the decency to allow the other drumline to play so the crowd isn't distracted by duck duck goose or nap time.

• Like 1

yeah scouts are not spending days away from the show to perfect drum battle material. But if you have to act like a fool to call out the other drumline than you've lost. I would much rather see a drumline come out and kick butt with skill and precision rather than goofy antics. If you want to take selfies during your performance fine it's dumb but fine but you should have the decency to allow the other drumline to play so the crowd isn't distracted by duck duck goose or nap time.

yeah, the units from corps are always going to be at a disadvantage to the DLB specific units. not just because of time and attention to this extracurricular, but because wearing a uniform and bearing a name has all kinds of 'rules' to it. I don't know what they are for madison, but I know that when i did I&E the staff had to grant you permission to wear your uniform...some corps don't allow 'antics' in uniform, which is fine.

That Said: You can have your own expectations and opinions of decorum during a DLB, and express it thusly via clapping.

But it's pretty lame to call out a group as lacking respect and dignity because they interpret the atmosphere of a competition differently that you do.

they're the ones competing, they have more invested.

Edited by 31rabbit
  • Like 2