little respect and dignity from Academy drumline

I was there with several adults who are not big drum corps fans but came along because it was near their home. I was also there with my 11 year old. Here's what they said:

Adults, oddly enough one person per decade, age 32-73: "Why is that one being so disrespectful? I liked what they played, but now they're being disrespectful. They might have actually gotten more applause if they had been casual but paid attention to the other group."

11-year old: "What's wrong with that? They're just taking selfies and dancing around playing rock paper scissors."

People need to get a life and stop trying to police everything. This event and others like it are meant to be informal competitions between two lines trying upstage the other. In my opinion, there should be some jawing back and fourth, "The Sandlot," and "Drumline" (which I can't stand) immediately comes to mine. While I detest selfies, and other nonsense, I'm also not going to get my panties in a bunch over something as trivial as this esp. since I did not witness the said drumline battle.

Right when they came out with DLB they said the hype was part of it.

I really liked the stuff Academy played. Scouts were too stiff.

• Like 2

yeah scouts are not spending days away from the show to perfect drum battle material. But if you have to act like a fool to call out the other drumline than you've lost. I would much rather see a drumline come out and kick butt with skill and precision rather than goofy antics. If you want to take selfies during your performance fine it's dumb but fine but you should have the decency to allow the other drumline to play so the crowd isn't distracted by duck duck goose or nap time.

then maybe you need to go home. it's fun

• Like 1

seems like someone doesn't quite understand the "drum line battle" thing...

It is supposed to be fun, cocky, disrespectful and FUN. Not serious.

You're supposed to come off with bravado and confidence.

Sounds like Academy did it well!

• Like 3

They actually said it's ok to do what ever you want while the other line is playing when it first came out. Hey if I was in Academy I would love to take a selfie while the mighty Scouts were laying it down. I thought it was hilarious.

While at Ft Wayne on 7/8, there was a rematch between Surf and Crossmen. So cool! Even the announcer stated that folks should take pictures, videos, post to social media, etc. Fans were right down on the field near the performers. It was loose and fun! I really like what they're doing with DLB. The casualness of the "competition" is something that will encourage many other groups to participate. Drum corps is exclusive enough. DLB is a different breed. That's a good thing.

Yea it is fun. I groaned when I heard about it but it really gives the smaller lines a chance to shine.

I hope BDB does one. (They have some instructors that ummm... kind of do that for a living).

Apparently Academy has been complemented by DCI as their bluster-crowing-swagger being the type of thing they are looking for....it's their "gimmick".

Madison's "shtick" is to play it straight...and have probably been complimented too.

Also, if one is looking for expectations, "rules" and historic context; rather than considering sports or dance recitals as analogies, one may want to start with youtube videos of drumline battles between historically black colleges.

This is not disrespect between corps. It's "drumline battle".

(By the way, Madison played a very long time; almost enough to make Academy's antics backfire....lol because how long can people take selfies and jump around before everybody gets tired of it.?)

At first I didn't think much of this discussion and felt like it was kids being kids. But then I saw the video circulating Facebook of the battle, and it looks incredibly disrespectful.

I get having fun and playing around because it is just a Drumline Battle. But what they were doing was just disrespectful, plus they could learn a lot by just watch.

• Like 1