little respect and dignity from Academy drumline

Next time you do a drumline battle have some respect for the other corps! You didn't see the scouts running around taking selfies and playing games during your turn. They stood at attention and gave you the floor during your performance. poor form Academy poor form.

They'll have plenty of time to take selfies from their stadium seats at finals.

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar
  • Like 1

I haven't seen video of this battle, so I can't say for sure how Academy's behavior should've been. I'm all for the intimidation and having fun, but if they were actively ignoring Madison I have some issues. Playing the "you're not so tough" shtick is fine, but not even acknowledging that the other team is playing might be a tad too far.

And that's not saying that the Academy just had to stand there. I was a part of that Surf line in 2013, and at our battle in Indy against BDB our center snare took his cell phone out of a pants pocket and started "judging" BDB right in front of them while they were playing (never crossing the line, of course ;) ) At one point, one of their snares dropped a stick, and luckily was able stop it from rolling across the line to this "judge." If he had gotten a hold of that stick, who knows what kind of hi-jinks would ensue?

All I'm saying is you can have your fun, but certainly acknowledge the enemy in the ring. Honestly, the best intimidation comes from "degrading" your opponent, and is much more likely to get the crowd pumped.

They'll have plenty of time to take selfies from their stadium seats at finals.

The way placements have been bouncing around this year, I wouldn't say that with 100% confidence until Semi's are over.

I haven't seen video of this battle, so I can't say for sure how Academy's behavior should've been. I'm all for the intimidation and having fun, but if they were actively ignoring Madison I have some issues. Playing the "you're not so tough" shtick is fine, but not even acknowledging that the other team is playing might be a tad too far.

And that's not saying that the Academy just had to stand there. I was a part of that Surf line in 2013, and at our battle in Indy against BDB our center snare took his cell phone out of a pants pocket and started "judging" BDB right in front of them while they were playing (never crossing the line, of course ;) ) At one point, one of their snares dropped a stick, and luckily was able stop it from rolling across the line to this "judge." If he had gotten a hold of that stick, who knows what kind of hi-jinks would ensue?

All I'm saying is you can have your fun, but certainly acknowledge the enemy in the ring. Honestly, the best intimidation comes from "degrading" your opponent, and is much more likely to get the crowd pumped.

The way placements have been bouncing around this year, I wouldn't say that with 100% confidence until Semi's are over.

That was a good battle and I love how you guys all shook hands after and talked.

• Like 1

I think the banter of Drumlines in the battle should be towards each other and in a playful "oh is that all you've got manner." But to be playing games on your half without acknowledgement of the other line is quite disrespectful. I encourage bringing in props like a pillow to say what they are playing is putting you to sleep. And if you are gonna do crazy antics, at least play better than the other side.

I can't say this as a fact since I don't know anyone who participated in this (or any other) DLB, but I'd suspect that none of the participants had any problem with the way the other team acted.

I hope they make it in. They can use my post as bulletin board material.

I think the banter of Drumlines in the battle should be towards each other and in a playful "oh is that all you've got manner." But to be playing games on your half without acknowledgement of the other line is quite disrespectful. I encourage bringing in props like a pillow to say what they are playing is putting you to sleep. And if you are gonna do crazy antics, at least play better than the other side.

I won't throw the "disrespectful" label around. DLB is still a new thing and groups are going to test the limits of appropriate taunting. I really don't think Academy set out to offend or disrespect the Scouts. I wouldn't be offended if I was a performer.

With that said, I (as an audience member) was pretty annoyed and distracted by their repetitive and obnoxious shtick. We got the joke early and often each time.

If you want to mess with your opponent without annoying half the audience, at least be more clever with your shtick. Do a yoga session while they're playing. Or limit the crazy stuff to 1-2 members.

(Sidenote: I'll agree that Madison came off as stiff, considering they played a double drag hip hop exercise and a show segment ... neither of which translated to DLB too well. Kudos to Academy for allowing more movement/showmanship in both routines.)

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar

PEOPLE! It's the friggin drum lines. What do you expect?

What did I expect from which side of the battle, Scouts or Academy? Your question doesn't specify.

Part of the reason that there is the debate is because not all drum lines are the same. So, without trying to be snarky, what's your point?

Or was it just another shot at the drum line? See you in the lot, sissy.

:tounge2:

• Like 1

Other groups are too busy trying to be actually good, instead of holding on to outdated militaristic ties.

Actually, focusing on drumline battle is the opposite of trying to be good on the field which is what the Scouts are doing. Last I checked also, the top corps in the activity such as SCV, CC, Cadets, etc are still focusing on those "outdated militaristic ties" rather than hokey faux hype and they're doing fine.

But I guess class and tradition don't work. It's really hurting those corps.