Hypothetical Cadets Uniform Question

Does the Cadet make the uniform? Or does the uniform make the Cadet?

Is the Cadet Uniform really just all about the colors? Or is the mystique really created because its just a copy of the West Point Uniform Design? The Cadets have made it their own for sure and that's the point... the Cadets MADE it... MADE... as in, the performers made the uniform more than just a copied military design with McDonalds colors. So... there's your answer.

Cadets make the uniform... and this corps, and every corps, is a whole lot greater than the style/color of their uniform.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 2

Four points.

1. The color scheme of the traditional uniform worn since 1939 when chosen by the four altar boys who became the first Holy Name Cadets had a very spiritual tie; over the years as the corps and members moved away from ties with the Catholic parish, that original meaning was forgotten. I heard about it in discussions with 2 of the originals when they were still alive.

2. I'm not sure what the professional psychologist's diagnosis for Black Uniform-itis is but there are definitely DCPers and others in the activity who go gaga whenever the possibility is mentioned. Whether it be Phantom Regiment, Blue Devils, Academy, Crown and now Genesis, these folks go into orgasm mode. Cinically and artistically, Black is usually associated with Depression. Shostakovitch is a rebellious piece, not a depressive piece.

Is Black going to be the new Blue, every one wears it. I say stick with the maroon which is different from every other of the DCI corps. Black is just more of the same, black and blue. Besides, contrary to rumors, black does not make a fat person look sleek, rather it highlights it on a competition field. Black would get lost against the black curtains hung along LOS.

3. Already there are many who cannot participate in DCI due to the high costs of tour and corps memberships. Designers often do not consider the cost to the member when the designers spaz out to make the fabric companies, uniform companies, and prop companies rich. Their is the sad irony that whenever designers like Marc Sylvester's name is mentioned with any organization, all that organizations' identity is tossed while the cost of the show production soars. He hasn't lasted with many units for long, partially due to that.

4. I hope the one poster who is finding the grey cadet uniform "sexy" is excited about the uniform and not who is wearing it. Both the Cadets and Boston Crusaders based their uniforms on the West Point greys. The Holy Name Cadets had to get a letter of release from West Point to adjust the uniform to maroon. Boston later borrowed uniforms from West Point.

Edited by xandandl

ok so IF the Cadets to change uniforms, to some here is the reaction:

Cool, what took you so long?

To others it will be the following:

mass hysteria! the earth is going to explode! dogs and cats living in peaceful harmony! Politicians working with the opposite party willingly! Brandt Crocker not growing when he announces Phantom! Pioneer winning! Fran Haring having fashion sense! I stop posting on DCP! Predictions threads stop appearing every week!

• Like 1

The uniform has no intrinsic meaning. It only acquired meaning as a result of the people who wore it. Over the past 81 years, it has grown to represent the cumulative efforts, accomplishments and values of the corps.

I am humbled to be a small part of such a great legacy, and see the uniform as a continuing symbol of that legacy. However, it is just that, a symbol. It is not inviolable, nor is it a substitute for the people who create and continue that legacy year after year.

In my time the Cadets had one eye on tradition and the other on the future. My preference would be to maintain the traditions (including the uniform) unless there is a darn good reason to make a change. But, no change will erode my enthusiasm and devotion to the corps.

The facial hair is an example. If given my druthers, all the men would be clean shaven. However, Hopkins forgot to call me and changed the rules without my input. Does that change how I feel about the corps? Not one scintilla. I stand in awe of today's corps, and would feel the same regardless of whether a few men have a Van Dyke, or they wear monochrome uniforms.

• Like 6

Four points.

1. The color scheme of the traditional uniform worn since 1939 when chosen by the four altar boys who became the first Holy Name Cadets had a very spiritual tie; over the years as the corps and members moved away from ties with the Catholic parish, that original meaning was forgotten. I heard about it in discussions with 2 of the originals when they were still alive.

2. I'm not sure what the professional psychologist's diagnosis for Black Uniform-itis is but there are definitely DCPers and others in the activity who go gaga whenever the possibility is mentioned. Whether it be Phantom Regiment, Blue Devils, Academy, Crown and now Genesis, these folks go into orgasm mode. Cinically and artistically, Black is usually associated with Depression. Shostakovitch is a rebellious piece, not a depressive piece.

Is Black going to be the new Blue, every one wears it. I say stick with the maroon which is different from every other of the DCI corps. Black is just more of the same, black and blue. Besides, contrary to rumors, black does not make a fat person look sleek, rather it highlights it on a competition field. Black would get lost against the black curtains hung along LOS.

3. Already there are many who cannot participate in DCI due to the high costs of tour and corps memberships. Designers often do not consider the cost to the member when the designers spaz out to make the fabric companies, uniform companies, and prop companies rich. Their is the sad irony that whenever designers like Marc Sylvester's name is mentioned with any organization, all that organizations' identity is tossed while the cost of the show production soars. He hasn't lasted with many units for long, partially due to that.

4. I hope the one poster who is finding the grey cadet uniform "sexy" is excited about the uniform and not who is wearing it. Both the Cadets and Boston Crusaders based their uniforms on the West Point greys. The Holy Name Cadets had to get a letter of release from West Point to adjust the uniform to maroon. Boston later borrowed uniforms from West Point.

2. I didn't realize black only had one connotation. Nor did I realize Xandandl was the only one who defines a color's connotation. I agree with you that there are a lot of corps with black and blue and that Maroon is unique, though. I do believe black would give MUCH better contrast against the field than maroon, not to mention with the neon of the colorguard.

3. The change to a dark uniform would definitely be cost prohibitive which is why I think the whole black uniform thing is nothing more than a hopeless rumor. I still hope it happens, though.

4. What in the hell gave you the impression that the poster thought the person wearing the uniform was sexy?!? He was clearly talking about the uniforms given the context of the discussion on this thread, silly goose.

Let's not forget that Cadets have a second corps that could utilize next year whatever new look they bring to the field this year.

• Like 2

Are we forgetting that none other than the BLUE Devils switched to black once? As I recall (and I watched live on PBS), their show opened with the color guard releasing blue balloons as either Reliable Rondo or Cesario explained that they were "letting the blue go." So how'd that change work out?

Further..... I think the uniform manufacturers got a break on a B I G lot of black material and they still need to unload some of it......

Holy Name ditch the Cadet look? Nonsense.......just a rumor........

There are three certainties in drum corps:

1. The Caballeros will never change their uniforms....

2. The Cadets will never change their uniform.......and

3. You will NEVER see a Theremin !

Joe

• Like 1