Where have the dynamics gone?

Was watching some old shows (1998, 1985, 1987 Cadets, etc) and there are so many tasty and subtle mezzopiano ensemble moments. It seems like the activity has gone away from that...we got a lot of forte runs building into fff impact chords. Anyone else notice this? Not every corps has to be Star 1993 but yea...

Was watching some old shows (1998, 1985, 1987 Cadets, etc) and there are so many tasty and subtle mezzopiano ensemble moments. It seems like the activity has gone away from that...we got a lot of forte runs building into fff impact chords. Anyone else notice this? Not every corps has to be Star 1993 but yea...

I agree. Dynamic contrast is very rare nowadays. There are still some great examples of it, but it doesn't happen as often (such as Phantom Regiment 2012, Cadets 2013, BD 2014) and even then most of those contrasts only occur in the ballad portions of the shows.

Whenever I think of great dynamic contrast, my mind always goes to the Phantom Regiment 1996 opener. The most insane buildup I've ever listened to.

I think the nature of the instrument affects the change. The Bb instruments don't have the same volume output as G bugles, and so playing piano on today's instruments would be VERY quiet in a dome/football field setting.

It's a compulsory contest today. How many notes can we play and how fast can we run. It really is amazing BUT, some of the music opportunities have been passed over. It's a shame.

• Like 3

I think Cadets are doing dynamics very well this season but overall, I do agree.
  • Like 1

I agree. Dynamic contrast is very rare nowadays. There are still some great examples of it, but it doesn't happen as often (such as Phantom Regiment 2012, Cadets 2013, BD 2014) and even then most of those contrasts only occur in the ballad portions of the shows.

Whenever I think of great dynamic contrast, my mind always goes to the Phantom Regiment 1996 opener. The most insane buildup I've ever listened to.

I think the nature of the instrument affects the change. The Bb instruments don't have the same volume output as G bugles, and so playing piano on today's instruments would be VERY quiet in a dome/football field setting.

Yup!

It's much shorter, but the buildup to the climax of Angels & Demons is wonderful, too.

Like it or not, Do You Hear What I Hear was soft, too.

• Like 1

Yup!

It's much shorter, but the buildup to the climax of Angels & Demons is wonderful, too.

Like it or not, Do You Hear What I Hear was soft, too.

I loved how soft they made it! It wouldn't have sounded right otherwise, in my opinion.