Coastal Surge has folded

You cannot count on a sudden influx of 20-30 new members paying full tour fees in June to get you on the road

And that's if all the members are even paying all their fees. Some corps can be so desperate not to turn anyone away that they allow themselves to be taken advantage of by members who never get around to paying. That said, Coastal's fees may have been a little high as well - an audition and materials fee equal to what World Class finalists charge, and tuition slightly higher than a corps like 7th Regiment, which tours longer.

I feel terrible for all of those kids, but even more so for two of them who came over from England to march Coastal Surge. One is a good drummer who marched Surge last summer and could have gone "up the ladder" to another corps, so to speak, but decided to return to help build Surge and the other is a member of the guard. They marched together in a small corps in England and wanted to have the DCI experience. Welcome to America.

What breaks my heart most of all about these kids from another country is what are they supposed to do now? Do they have a place to stay before their flights back to England, and are their flights from Indianapolis? I just hate to think what a change fee may be for their airfare to return home now.

This happening within 2 weeks of what would have been their prelims performance in Michigan City and just days after their preview exhibition is just irresponsible.

AND, I certainly hope no adult got paid for their experience since those kids did not get the experience they paid for.

Edited by Bobbie'
  • Like 1

I feel terrible for all of those kids, but even more so for two of them who came over from England to march Coastal Surge. One is a good drummer who marched Surge last summer and could have gone "up the ladder" to another corps, so to speak, but decided to return to help build Surge and the other is a member of the guard.......Welcome to America.

The Kilties have one of their countrymen performing with us this season, so they may feel at home----in short, if they have the time to stay in the US until over Labor Day, contact The Kilties......we will make room for them to perform and find them a place to stay---if we can get word to them.

• Like 1

So ... after Teal Sound folded mid-tour a few years ago, where any changes made to DCI's evaluation process?

Does anyone know what the current process is like?

This situation is disturbing considering A) Coastal Surge is folding with only two weeks left on the season, B) their online 990's haven't been filed since 2012, and C) they had similar issues last year.

I saw a tearful plea on YouTube from one of the British members to raise $28,000 in less than 24 hours. For a kid to be put in that position is pretty messed up. I hope he and the other members get an opportunity somewhere, even if it's not this season.

• Like 1

Just posted from CS Facebook:

Coastal Surge To all ...

It is with a very heavy heart that I am reading all of these posts. As a member of the education team and a caption head, I can tell you that we are all devastated. The instructional staff was informed approximately 20 minutes before the membership so we are all feeling shocked and heart broken right now. I am confident that the administration will be open and willing to address all questions and concerns once the members have all left the spring training facility.

I understand and appreciate the anger and frustration. I also share those feelings with you. However, if we could, let's please put a pause on those emotions momentarily and all be here to emotionally support these kids as they return home.

It is my sincere hope that all the members of surge find corps homes and continue pursuing their dreams. As much as my own heart is breaking right now, I would do it all again for the opportunity to stand in front of these amazing kids for the 4 short weeks that we shared together. I know I speak for all caption heads and the entire educational team when I say that it has been our distinguished honor and pleasure to work with such amazing and talented students. You will always and forever be our little peanuts, our pumpkin pies, our tater tots, our storm troopers and our babies. Much love to all of you!!!!!

Xoxoxo

Edited by Bobbie'
  • Like 1

Since this information may end up being deleted from DCI's calendar and other sources like From the Pressbox, I'm just noting for posterity the shows that Coastal Surge was scheduled to perform at this year:

July 24 -- Sheffield, PA

July 25 -- Hamilton, OH

July 27 -- Cedar Rapids, IA

July 31 -- St. Paul, MN

Aug. 1 -- Forest City, IA

Aug. 3 -- Michigan City, IN

Aug. 6 -- Indianapolis, IN

Based on their performance last year, I think they had a reasonably good shot of making Open Class Finals again.

On the subject of corps who recently had financial troubles and from whom relatively little has been heard so far this year: how are the Raiders doing? Two seasons ago, they publicly announced rather late that they would not be traveling to championships unless the members quickly paid their outstanding dues. But their "Raven" show proved to be fairly effective, in my opinion (if over-reliant on a professionally-recorded poem, rather like Oregon Crusaders the next year) and they were back last year with another mid-tier O.C. Finalist performance. They've appeared in but one show so far this year, and their move-ins started just four days ago. Is that their normal schedule? A sign of financial challenges? Or a sign of good fiscal planning and knowing their limitations? I do see that in DCI's fundraising challenge, they were for a time leading Legends, who ended up winning. That may bode well for them.

Just posted from CS Facebook:

Coastal Surge To all ...

.... However, if we could, let's please put a pause on those emotions momentarily and all be here to emotionally support these kids as they return home.

I don't think that request is any different than what all the other posters are saying on Facebook - EVERYONE is offering support for the kids, and encouragement to find another place to march. ALL of the anger or frustration appears to be directed solely at management, because of the impact on the kids.

As someone who bears that sort of responsibility for a youth organization of nearly 100, entering our 5th year, I for one think that the two-sentence Facebook announcement regarding disbanding was woefully lacking in transparency, details, and simple humanity for all those involved.

• Like 2

It certainly was a cruel trick to play on the Marching members who have spend several weeks at camp and committed their entire summer for this. However renting facilities for weekend camps, then the 3 week camp, feeding the corps during camp probably ate up a lot of money. If drill designers were paid it was not their fault the corps didn't march, they were paid to do a job which they did. So a full refund probably isn't an option for the marchers. I would hope that any paid staff would forgo their payments, however they may have been misled also and put their summer on hold to help out.

Last year an unreliable source said that a bus had been donated which was found to be undependable a few days before the tour which was the alleged reason for the last minute funds drive then. This year it seems to just be poor planning.

Also last year they were able to perform at Carolina Gold's show in North Carolina, although a DCA show it was almost a home show for them and it helped them get some support in the area. I know that there was a good relationship with between them after that show, but Gold is DCA and the folks who went to surge wanted 6 straight weeks of corps, not lots of weekends so I don't think going to Gold will be an option for many of them who live in the area.

I think in the late 70's early 80's they could have packed all their stuff in station wagons with a trailer or 2 and showed up in Atlanta to see they would let them play. But I think things are a little more scheduled especially with the webcast and a corps probably can't squeeze in at the last minute.

• Like 2

This situation is disturbing considering . . . B) their online 990's haven't been filed since 2012

Depending on when Coastal Surge's fiscal year ends, that may not mean anything. Organizations are required to file their form 990s by four months and fifteen days after their fiscal year ends, but can get extensions for up to six months more. And the year of the 990 refers to the year in which the organization's fiscal year began. So if Coastal Surge had a fiscal year that ran, say, Oct. 1-Sep. 30, then their 990 for 2013 (which means Oct. 1, 2013-Sep. 30, 2014) could be filed as late as Aug. 15, 2015. (Tax professionals, correct me if I'm wrong!)

Edited by N.E. Brigand